XCR Forum banner

Barrel bolt loosened

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Sean K. 
#1 ·
Last evening I had the opportunity to shoot my XCR-L 5.56 pistol with a friend. It shot great overall, but partway through my friend’s shooting, there were two failures to eject. Before this session, the gun had fired 150 rounds, with and without suppressor, without any failures.
We discovered that the barrel was loose and could move forward about 1/2”. Before shooting this gun when it was new, I tightened the barrel retention bolt to spec but did not remove and reseat the barrel. So after the session yesterday I loosened the retention bolt, removed and inspected the barrel, then returned it to position. I think that I now have it seated all the way down, and I tightened the retention bolt back to spec, 200 inch pounds.

Has anyone had this happen? My preliminary conclusion is that the barrel was not originally completely seated, so the barrel retention bolt was pushing against the extension but not in its dimple. I’m nervous about possible damage from what happened yesterday, but I can’t see any problems. It’s hard to know when the weapon is all new to me so I don’t know what’s normal. It all looks good.

any ideas? Advice?

#2 ·
Usually when you tighten the bolt it'll self center the dimple. I usually just place the rifle vertical, give it a little bump to make sure the barrel is fully seated (sometimes the gas tube can get stuck on carbon in the upper). Then I torque to 220in/lb with a torque wrench. Don't use any thread locker.
I've never had one come loose. I'd just re-torque it and watch it on your next shooting session.

#4 ·
Disassembled; cleaned. Performed the “straighten barrel” operation as per Alex R video. Back to the range and shot 40 rounds suppressed on gas 1, flawlessly. I fucking love this gun. With the suppressor, it’s my favorite gun ever. Without the suppressor, it’s a great way to get out some anger LOL. The ergonomics of this platform (speaking as a left hander) are incredible.

#7 ·
Interesting...never had the issue. Also interesting they said it was for first time installs...not every time you switch one out.

Reactions: Northern
#12 ·
Good to know. I typically don't swap bbls....but I just bought a conversion for 300 BLK....so I'll be doing it a bit now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.