XCR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not found anything on this.

I am planning on getting the 6.8 SPC when they come out with the 1-11 twist

Standard is the 18.6 inch barrel planned, though they will cut down if requested.

I plan on using it for bench rest shooting, and maybe a hunting trip one day.

As its mostly for accuracy bench shooting, does the longer barrel give better accuracy?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
It's not the barrel length itself that means anything.

When you use iron sights, the increased sight radius helps in accuracy.

Optics? No difference in general. Iron sights like on the XCR (where they're mounted to the rail)? Nope. Same reason.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In general a longer barrel gets you more velocity, energy and a flatter trajectory than a shorter barrel.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hell yeah the longer barrel gives you more accuracy! It means you're that much closer to the target! :D

You'll get a more complete powder burn and a touch more velocity, but that's just it, "a touch more". A couple inches of barrel won't mean much. If it'll be solely shot off of the bench I'd say that it couldn't hurt but don't expect it to print like some purpose built benchrest rifle. If you plan on carrying it a lot for hunting then the lighter, shorter option would be better methinks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Believe it or not, if I scope my 7.5" AR and bench rest it, I can consistantly shoot sub-MOA. What was said above is correct about only gaining velocity not accuracy with bbl. length.

MadDog :2cents:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yep, I am going to be cutting my Rem 700 in .308 down to 18" when I get the chance. I wont loose enough velocity to matter to me and the gun will handle 100% better.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
FWIW, I remember a competitor that had a 16" barrel on her 308 boltgun.

It was scary accurate.

Her father counter-bored the last 4" of the barrel, and ported that area. She wound up doing really well and winning. Not shabby for a 14 (I think) year old girl.
He worked over the rifle for her, and she proved that accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Barrel length doesn't necessarily affect accuracy but can have a serious effect on lethality, particularly with 5.56 ammunition. The difference between 5.56 lethality when shot through a twenty inch barrel compared to a sixteen inch is significant. If you barrel is crappy, then added length will help accuracy somewhat by helping bullet stability, but the measurable difference is marginal.

Barrel length can help longer range capability and consistency but out to four or five hundred yards with a decent barrel, length isn't that big a deal.

Take a .308 with a 24 inch barrel and shoot it at 100, 200, 300, 400 etc all the way to 1000 yards. Then remove the barrel and cut it down to 16". Shoot again. At the shorter ranges the grouping will be similar, but as the range extends the spread will increase.

You just need to decide what is acceptible. At the ranges that a 5.56 or 7.62x39 is effective, a good 16" barrel is probably accurate enough.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A 1/9 twist barrel at 12 inches long only stabilizes the bullet with 1 complete rotation and a little left over. A 1/9 twist barrel at 18 inches gives you two complete rotations thus a more consistent stabilization plus velocity, the length also allows consistency across a broader range of bullets and weight. While the shorty's are still very accurate it is for a different reason known as "barrel whip", with the barrel being so short but yet the same diameter it adds rigidity which greatly aids consistency (consistency in this application equals accuracy ). The barrel that came with my XCR was a 1/8 twist 16 incher two full turns two inches shorter and the ability to stabilize a heavier bullet.

·
Registered
325 Posts
well, distance AND end velocity matters when your talking barrel lengths. I believe i saw someone who had a 24" barrel on a .308 with match loads claimed at 1000 yards the bullet was coming in at 1080 or so FPS, so if you chop that barrel down to say 20" could be a few hundred FPS less at that distance. If your hunting, you want the most velocity you can get unless your shots are going to be 400 yards or less. 6.8 SPC is a good round, but I'd wait for .308 if your looking for stuff passed 500-600 yards

·
Registered
23 Posts
I shoot barrels that are shorter than normal (14"-just under 18") all the time at longer distances.
This is a longer one-smidget under 18" but here is a group @ 730 yards prone from a bi-pod.
Cartridge is the 6mmx47 Lapua, shooting the 105 A-Max. This cartridge is in between the 6BR & and 243 Win.
Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length. It has everything to do with the quality of the barrel and a systems approach to accuracy, including what is going on in between your ears ;D
I also shot @ 799 yards on Wednesday but I didn't keep them all on the steel like I did @ 730 yards-Wind will humble you quickly :'(

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barrel length doesn't necessarily affect accuracy but can have a serious effect on lethality, particularly with 5.56 ammunition. The difference between 5.56 lethality when shot through a twenty inch barrel compared to a sixteen inch is significant. If you barrel is crappy, then added length will help accuracy somewhat by helping bullet stability, but the measurable difference is marginal.

Barrel length can help longer range capability and consistency but out to four or five hundred yards with a decent barrel, length isn't that big a deal.

Take a .308 with a 24 inch barrel and shoot it at 100, 200, 300, 400 etc all the way to 1000 yards. Then remove the barrel and cut it down to 16". Shoot again. At the shorter ranges the grouping will be similar, but as the range extends the spread will increase.

You just need to decide what is acceptible. At the ranges that a 5.56 or 7.62x39 is effective, a good 16" barrel is probably accurate enough.
Worse is the 14 inch barrels in the M4. Good for fitting inside vehicle CQB, but you loose any lethality at 50 yards. 6.8SPC changes that, not that it doesn't loose velocity as the barrel gets shorter, but it starts with a heavier bullet moving as fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not being an expert but I heard that much more than length like the other guys mentioned it matters if the muzzle is flat and even and also its beneficial if the barrel does not increase in diameter to the end but slightly decreases or stays the same diameter.

I read once about tests for .22's and it was found that anything over 2" or so in length makes no difference

cheers

Teac

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I shoot barrels that are shorter than normal (14"-just under 18") all the time at longer distances.
This is a longer one-smidget under 18" but here is a group @ 730 yards prone from a bi-pod.
Cartridge is the 6mmx47 Lapua, shooting the 105 A-Max. This cartirdge is in between the 6BR & and 243 Win.
Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length. It has everything to do with the quality of the barrel and a systems approach to accuracy, including what is going in between your ears ;D
I also shot @ 799 yards on Wnednesday but I didn't keep them all on the steel like I did @ 730 yards-Wind will humble you quickly :'(
Ha, better get some serious suspenders before you holster that. ;-)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts