XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing to get an XCR in 6.5G. I am leaning towards a 16' barrel but wondering how many more fps are you guys seeing out of the 18.6'ers vs your 16's? Also, how much would an 18" barrel be?
Thx, Mero

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
He means Feet Per Second...velocity.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
They will probably be seeing close to the same velocity that people are getting out of ARs, give or take a bit. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I am planing to get an XCR in 6.5G. I am leaning towards a 16' barrel but wondering how many more fps are you guys seeing out of the 18.6'ers vs your 16's? Also, how much would an 18" barrel be?
Thx, Mero
Same as an AR15. XCR doesnt use any special rifling

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, but what I was asking is the diff in muzzle velocity between the two barrel lengths. Example, a bullet out of the 16" will be 150 fps slower than the 18".
I was looking for more precise info than what I was seeing on the net, like other peoples estimations and velocity numbers recorded at 50 & 100 yds from 14, 16 and 24" barrels. I just wanted to know what actual numbers they were seeing out of the diff length platforms. If I am left with no alternative but to guess, I'd say 40 fps per in. or 100 fps diff between the 16 & 18.6" bbls.
Mero

·
Registered
449 Posts
One of the problems with the question is it will also tend to differ based upon the propellant used, fast burn/slow burn/ball/stick etc.

An average of the various listings out on the 'net seems to be between 50 and 100 fps drop between the 16" and 14.5" for a 55gr round.

The difference in velocity isn't much of as problem if you're target shooting, other than calibrating your sights properly.

For personal defense the issue is that round yaw/fragmenting will drop for the 14.5" from approx 250 mts to 175 mts or less.

You pay your money, you take your choice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts