XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already admitted I'm a newbie about assault style and battle rifles so here's the question. How do you benchrest a XCR (or FAL for that matter) when zeroing? The real issue is the magazine sticking out along with the vertical fore grip. Do you take the vertical grip off and put the handguard on the pad or put the bottom of the vetical grip on the pad or do something else? If you have a bipod and zero with it supporting the rifle, does the POI change if you take the bipod off.

I do have a 5 round magazine for the FAL which makes it a little easier to use on the bench but the vertical grip is still the issue.

This picture shows the issue. With the vertical foregrip you either need a tall rifle rest or need to put the grip on the rest and be sitting a lot higher on the bench.

·
Registered
448 Posts
In my 25+ years shooting evil rifles I've only uses a foward grip maybe twice. It ain't for me.

I use sand bags. They sell some nifty and cheap, bag rests at wally world. I use 25 yard/meter zero and confirm/readjust at 200.

When zeroing any magazine fed rifle try to rest the rifle as close to the chamber, and make sure your mag is not resting on the ground, so use short ones.

Resting closer to the muzzle will cause it to flex (XCR not included unless you rest it on the GB or barrel). Resting with the mag on the ground (or table) will cause it to pivot and wobble. You'll use up concentration and energy just balancing the rifle.

The rifle should rest on the HG as close to the chamber either balanced or resting on the bottom of the stock and nothing else touching. That is why I prefer the bags over anything else.

When shooting for zero I would either bring in my support hand accross my chest and stabilize the rear of the stock, used in the prone. Or extend and join my 4 fingers and place my thumb in an "L" and slide it next to the HG and slightly support it at the HG pool que style, not grabbing it, best when shooting sitting on a bench or sitting and resting in some sort of barricade. Or I'd wrap my fingers around magwell and gently push into my shoulder. I do that last one if I am standing and have a barricade (wall) to rest it on. Shoot elbows down so it will bring in the weapon closer and tactically you don't leave that chicken wing to get shot off.

BTW, i like that rail HG on your FAL. I also have the SA58 Para and I've been thinking aboout getting those HG's. Are they rock solid and how much weight do you notice w/it?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I rarely "bench" rifles. I usually shoot off a bipod for a rest. That's how I usually use my rifles--offhand, supported, or on a bipod. Plus my local ranges benches suck, so that tends to influence my choices. I spend a lot of time working on my sitting and prone positions. I have a GG&G bipod I use with my Blaser and it'll find its way to the XCR when I start serious load development for it.

I like bipods for range use and have had good performance with them. Also, it's closest to how I actually use the rifle most of the time. When you can hold half-minute from a bipod, you're doing well, and that's about my personal limits on how well I can shoot (on a good, well, very good, day). With my Blaser (or a friend's TRG41), I can usually get 1/2 to 3/4 minute and that's good enough for me. My HK will usually hold about 3/4 to a minute of angle, assuming good ammo. The AUG has no bipod and the best I can do prone is about minute of angle or a touch over with handloads (the donut of death isn't exactly a good reticle for precision use).

I'm pretty used to foregrips since I do have an AUG. I like them--on the AUG. Since I cordially detest ARs I haven't had any reason to fiddle with all the rail mounted foregrips out there until now. I probably will try one out on the XCR, but I like it just fine without. I'm leaning towards the BOBRO grip.

SigsRule, I have to say, your FAL really has me jonesing for a Para of my own. I've always liked FALs but have never owned one. My HK really serves all my .308 needs, but damn, I do like FALs. What I'd really like is a Para in .260 Remington. So many guns, so little time (and money).

Edit: I just came from DSArms website. Damned if they don't have a .260 Para option in there. I'm stoked. Now, just have to get past the mere formality of coming up with almost $2k. Details, details...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know what you mean. The only time I bench any rifle is for zeroing and confirming zero. Everything else is shoot as I would in the field. But I've seen some bad example of poeple benching, getting their zero and then finding it wasn't zeroed correctly. And you know, when I said I have rarely used forward grips, I was wrong, I too have an AUG, I just forgot about that one.

Seems as if we have the same guns, heh, heh.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. i303, that's the way I bench my bolt rifless to zero them but wasn't sure about options with these kinds of rifles. I haven't shot either the FAL or the XCR enough to know whether I like and will keep the foregrips or not, but they do look neat.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I also use a bipod for confirming zero or shooting for groups. I just throw the gg&g bipod on with a 20 round mag and put whatever solid object I have handy under the stock and let loose ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts