XCR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a chance to put this knife through its paces? I got one last week and I trying to beat it up and see how it does. It seems to be a pretty stout knife, I like it better than the microtech that I played with. It of course isn't nearly as solid as my Strider SnG but I think it is a pretty tough knife for a forward opener.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Lets see.... Knife? Case of 308? Afraid the 308 wins. Only because it is sooooo rare these days. I like benchmade knives, however, I'm sort of a fixed blade junky...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the knife for nothing as part of an extended T&E...can't get the ammo companies to do the same for ammo for some reason.

GR8, I keep meaning to stop there but never do. One of these days I will get in there.

As an update on the knife, I carried it everyday for 9+ months in Iraq and used it for everything. It held it's edge fairly well but I did have to take it apart a few times to clean it out. It would get a little sticky/gummy after a few months. I finally broke the clip on it, not sure how but I noticed the knife was in my pocket all the way and the clip wasn't there (later found it in the aircraft). I still need to call benchmade and get another clip.

Overall, if you are looking for a OTF knife this is a nice one.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well, if its free, I will take two! Like I said before, I like Benchmade stuff. I have a small Robbie Dalton OTF. Solid little knife... Love the thing.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I have an Emerson CQC7 that took a bit of abuse, lost some screws and could use a good sharpening. Emerson wanted at least $20 to sharpen it and would email me a quote for parts and repair. I just figured they'd fully warranty it. Nope.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Benchmade has been real good to work with in the past for warranty stuff. I will say that strider has always taken care of me as well. I would think that Emerson would be better than that.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really wish you hadn't shown me that link...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Got the knife for nothing as part of an extended T&E...can't get the ammo companies to do the same for ammo for some reason.

GR8, I keep meaning to stop there but never do. One of these days I will get in there.

As an update on the knife, I carried it everyday for 9+ months in Iraq and used it for everything. It held it's edge fairly well but I did have to take it apart a few times to clean it out. It would get a little sticky/gummy after a few months. I finally broke the clip on it, not sure how but I noticed the knife was in my pocket all the way and the clip wasn't there (later found it in the aircraft). I still need to call benchmade and get another clip.

Overall, if you are looking for a OTF knife this is a nice one.

Well, fwiw, AG Russel made the survival knives used by one John J. Rambo!

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I have an Emerson CQC7 that took a bit of abuse, lost some screws and could use a good sharpening. Emerson wanted at least to sharpen it and would email me a quote for parts and repair. I just figured they'd fully warranty it. Nope.
That really sucks.I had a CRKT,nothing expensive it was the Kasper/Crawford something or other.It seems like I gave 40 bucks for it.This was one toughass folder,It was little on the heavy side but get this: I lost a screw on the pocket clip,they sent me a replacement set,no questions asked.This particular model was serrated,which I come to realize was a P.I.T.A.,so after a year of trying to keep them sharp I decided to grind the out the serrations and just sharpen the whole length of the blade normally,which by the way worked rather nicely.So after about two years of daily carry,I finally broke the pocket clip.So I called them up to ask how much I could get a new one for.The gentleman I was speaking with and I started discussed the fact that I wanted to get another Teflon bushing that they use around the hinge and he told me to send it in and they would rebuild it for me for free! Ok so about a week after shipping it off I get a phone call and they said the screw holes for the pocket clip were stripped and several other minor problems,and asked me if I would just rather have it replaced...I was like how much...she said no charge,since you removed the serrations would you like a standard blade instead of serrated this time? I was stunned,how many companies would willing replace something that was clearly abused and modified for free? Oh yea they sharpen them for free too!!

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
DTOM
I was hoping for the same thing and was kinda shocked at their answer. Oh well.
LilTate
To be fair, I've never had or tried a Busse. I can only attest to the robustness of this knife and how it feels to heft it. The blade is thick and looks like it can take a hell of a lot of abuse. My buddy showed me his Oberland on deployment and I immediately wanted one. He's used it to build demo charges, (including cutting strips of thick rubber into 1"X12" strips) and opening ammo crates. It handled these tasks with no problems and very little wear.
I originally looked a getting a Busse Hell Razor until I saw these.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts