XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am planning on getting a CHL this summer and I was wondering what handgun you guys would recommend. I have my trusty 92 FS but being a full size handgun, concealment might be an issue. I would also like to keep it 9mm if possible since I already have a ton of the stuff. Any advice would be welcome.

Btw, just hit the 1000 round mark with my XCR and I have yet to have a malfunction of any type!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi folks,

I am planning on getting a CHL this summer and I was wondering what handgun you guys would recommend. I have my trusty 92 FS but being a full size handgun, concealment might be an issue. I would also like to keep it 9mm if possible since I already have a ton of the stuff. Any advice would be welcome.

Btw, just hit the 1000 round mark with my XCR and I have yet to have a malfunction of any type!
You could dress around the Beretta, but yes, it is a bit big for everyday wear.

There is always the 'plastic' route, Glock 19 or Glock 26. I owned a Glock 26, briefly, in the 1990's. Was a nice little firearm, but I like the Kahr more, so I traded it away and now carry a Kahr K-9, others like the P-9.

If you are budget minded, you could look at the surplus P-6 (aka SIG P-225) pistol. These were little used and are a great bargain.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Generally, I think the G19 is the best all around pistol for carry.

Reasons:

Light
Durable
Reliable
Highest capacity to size/weight ratio in the industry.
Cheap mags
Proven

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the 92 FS would be hard to cover up for me since I almost always wear a sport shirt and jeans, never a jacket. I live in Houston so the times I wear a jacket can be counted on one hand. Should I consider a smaller weapon? Maybe something in .380 auto?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, the 92 FS would be hard to cover up for me since I almost always wear a sport shirt and jeans, never a jacket. I live in Houston so the times I wear a jacket can be counted on one hand. Should I consider a smaller weapon? Maybe something in .380 auto?
I consider most .380's BUG's, not primary. Maybe the new Ruger or Kahr .380 would be a good BUG.

My 1986 Bulgarian Makarov weighs 28.6 ozs, loaded with 8 rounds of 9x18 Mak ammo and I do not consider this a primary handgun.

My 1998 Kahr K-9 weighs 31.4 ozs, loaded with 8 rounds of 9x19 ammo. The Kahr P-9 would weigh about 8 ozs less than this.

If you are looking for a some sort of shot to weight ratio, look at the Glock 19 or 26. They're efficient, in a souless sort of way.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Glock 19 with night sights. Without question. Night sights because they are important for a carry and because Glock factory sights are horrible.

Reliable, concealable, 15+1.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the P7M8 is out of my price range. Fantastic gun but I just can't afford something like that. The Glock 19 is right in my price range so I guess I need to go shopping for a Glock.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
What you need to do is go hold, and if possible SHOOT, as many possible canidates as possible. Though the G19 may work for one it may not for you. Or you may just shoot one a little better than another.

Over the past 10 years I have carried an HKP7M8, USP45, SIG 228 and 4" 1911.(and a Beretta M9 but I dont count that). If I were to buy a new carry piece tomorrow I would be looking at the S&W M&P line and maybe the Springfield XD line (assuming I wanted a plastic pistol). For the Money the S&W M&P is a great little gun. It is a striker fire like a Glock but has better ergonomics in my opinion. You can find them for $400, you just may have to shop around a little. my wife has the 9mm and loves it.

Bottom line, if you go to the range and rent 50 guns and the one that shoots best for you is a Baby eagle, then you should buy that gun. When you have to put your life in the "hands" of a gun, you want something that you are going to shoot well and wont let you down.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. I was just trying to narrow my search down. I own many rifles but only one handgun, my 92 FS so my familiarity with pistols is limited.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'd recommend XD. I own an XD-45 with over 5500 rounds through, and an XD-40 Sub Compact, which is great for CC, with over 3000 rounds through. I have used both in competition many times. Neither gun has ever had a problem nor a part replaced. Good luck with your search. 8)

·
Registered
53 Posts
First thing....aziator is correct. It is important to find something you'll be comfortable shooting. Shot placement is the most important thing (aided by your facility with the firearm), followed by round effectiveness.

If you insist on carrying 9mm consider the Walther PPS. It's a great firearm, it feels great in your hand and seems to have (from experience) overcome the old hangups from the PPKs. If cost is an issue then save a couple hundred (although with a primary self-defence firearm cost should never be the issue..save up and get the best) the GL19 is an excellent and reliable piece.

If you want concealable and effective carry you've got several choices, and a .380 should not be in the top three.

You can choose the most effective proven manstopper and purchase a compact Smith or Ruger revolver in .357 magnum. They are excellent small firearms, and very concealable. Taurus makes a good one that is about the same size as the Ruger SP-101 and it's got 7 round capacity. My wife has a lightweight Taurus .38 and it's a very nice piece.

If you can't deal with the revolver image (the one of absolute reliability, no jamming and you can shoot from your pocket without cutting open your hand in a self-defence situation) then consider the Glock 32. Compact (19 and 23 share the same frame) and it fires the .357sig round that has similar muzzle velocity numbers to the .357magnum. It has a 13 round capacity and is easily concealable.

The third choice is sort of retro, but I like it. .45ACP You can purchase a Colt LW Defender or Kimber Procarry (one of their smaller frames that accepts 1911 magazines) and be very well armed with the single greatest military or civilian sidearm ever invented (IMNSHO) and you can easily conceal it and carry an extra mag. Reliable as hell, accurate as hell, and it'll take down an angry hopped up Moro or your local crack/meth head looking to take your property or life from you. If you don't like the retro then swing over to the .45 HK Compact USP Tactical. It's the bomb for double or single action and comes with a threaded barrel.

9mm or .40S&W are fine rounds, but both are compromise rounds that aren't proven as effective as the .357magnum. The .45 single action 1911 type is more reliable than most any semi-automatic pistol, as well generally more accurate. The HK is just sorta badass and ought to be considered.

I hope my opinions are of some help. Please remember that any of these will require serious practice and training in order for them to be more than paperweights or noisy clubs in waiting. You will need to budget funds for ammo and range time, and even instruction (don't let ego get in the way of good sense) to maximize your effectiveness with firearms. Remember....guns don't miss...people do.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The .45 single action 1911 type is more reliable than most any semi-automatic pistol, as well generally more accurate.
Can you tell me where to find these reliable 1911s?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The .45 single action 1911 type is more reliable than most any semi-automatic pistol, as well generally more accurate.
Can you tell me where to find these reliable 1911s?
I assume your opinion of the efficacy of the 1911 differs from mine?

If the question is serious then I'll say any gunshop where you can purchase a high quality 1911 type pistol (Colt, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Springfield, Kimber, Smith, Sig, Taurus, RRA, RIA...I could go on). You can spend real money on one, or you can buy one for $400. I guess they're like anything else and if you buy a less expensive one it's got more chance of hanging up on something, but in my experience shooting (perhaps not as much as you, perhaps more) they're very reliable.
When there've been issues with them I've found they're from one of three sources.
1. Damaged or poorly manufactured magazines. (people often forget that with any magazine fed weapon you have to buy good mags and maintain them properly and replace the ones with bent lips or bad springs)
2. Damaged or poorly manufactured ammo (people sometimes try to cheap out on ammo and either buy crappy off-brand/seconds or load their own wrong).
3. The guns themselves when they're either worn out from heavy use or they're parts guns made by off-brand makers or guys sitting in their shops putting different parts on them.

I know there's forums out there where you get some guy pissed about his Kimber that he paid 1000 dollars for and it's got a bad return spring or some guy bitching about his Springfield with the bobtail grip safety not protecting his web. But for every guy who bitches about it there's a thousand that are so happy they're not saying a word to anyone...just shooting their weapons.

When I say they're reliable I'm not alone. Some of the greatest shooters in the world agree with me. Delta, FBI HRT and SWAT, Marine Corps SOF, President's 100 shooters in their dozens and the list goes on.

Opinions are like elbows...most folks are lucky enough to have a couple. So if you feel differently about the 1911's than I do, and the august groups mentioned above, let me know why. If you just want to know a great place to get them send me a PM here. I've got a guy who can get good deals on Les Baers and Ed Browns.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I went through a few, got to the G19, and that is perfection for me. From what I can tell, every single aspect of the design was executed with one singular goal of making the best carry gun in the world.

I carried a Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 knockoff) for a short while, and wouldn't recommend it for the size/weight reasons you can imagine.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
DLO21,

I love the 1911. I carry a 1911 (Colt Gunsite) or a Glock 19.

I was just teasing. You just don't hear many people argue for the reliability of a 1911. I fully agree with you about the quality of the gun, the parts, and especially the ammo. The only two 1911s I own are a Colt and a Nighthawk Custom. Reliable? The Colt is better than average (I took a course this weekend and had two feedway stoppages out of about 350 rounds). The NHC has been flawless through about 250 rounds, but that's not enough to be sure.

Two of the most reliable 1911s I ever owned were the entry-level S&W SW1911s. Great pistols. Bad firing-pin safety.

As Ken Hackathorn says, "The 1911 pistol is the worlds finest close-quarters combat weapon, and King of feed-way stopages."

Great guns to shoot and own.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I got you. I guess I could be overreaching when I say it's the most reliable piece ever, but most of the reliability issues I've found relate to old worn out firearms or magazine issues. I will pay more attention to see if I've just gotten used to it and take a count over the next thousand rounds or so. I've found that when I do get a new pistol (or used but new to me) there's a break in or I have had to either do a ramp job on the thing or something to the throat.

All that said, I can safely say that I get just as many if not more stoppages in my double action pistols (rolled through Beretta, Ruger, H&K, Smith and others ....even an Astra A-90.....).

And all Hail J.M.B.

oh, yeah....that's a very nice pistol you've got....I've got the Kimber Custom TLE/RL and a GL32....so we seem to think alike in some ways.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm not going to bash one platform or another, but if I have a pistol that malfunctions even one time, there has to be a clearly identifiable cause that can be corrected (after which there are no malfunctions) or I will not carry the gun. Throat jobs or ramp jobs or this or that should be done before the gun ever leaves the factory. Just my opinion, but I have a very low tolerance for that kind of thing in a gun that *above all else*, must go bang when the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not going to bash one platform or another, but if I have a pistol that malfunctions even one time, there has to be a clearly identifiable cause that can be corrected (after which there are no malfunctions) or I will not carry the gun. Throat jobs or ramp jobs or this or that should be done before the gun ever leaves the factory. Just my opinion, but I have a very low tolerance for that kind of thing in a gun that *above all else*, must go bang when the trigger is pulled.
I tend to agree with you, which is why I think that any firearm ought to be tested and broken in by the user (who is ultimately responsible for where his/her rounds go and how they get there). I've yet to find a perfect manufacturer. With most 1911 pistols from the factory these days you don't need any extra work. However with the older ones you may find you do and you have to decide whether it's worth buying the new ones versus perhaps saving a little and getting an older one.

If it's a carry piece then it needs to shoot right. That may mean trigger adjustments, ramp polishing, spring replacements or any number of adjustments we find useful to tune a firearm. That said......pretty much anything of quality can be pulled from a box and fired with reasonable accuracy.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
DLO21,

The only two 1911s I own are a Colt and a Nighthawk Custom. Reliable? The Colt is better than average (I took a course this weekend and had two feedway stoppages out of about 350 rounds). The NHC has been flawless through about 250 rounds, but that's not enough to be sure.
****, I have 2 NHC, a Talon II Bobtail and a Hard Chrome Predator. The Talon II is my current carry piece and has been flawless. It is back in Berreyville getting Diamond Black while I am deployed. Which one do you have??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts