XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty damn funny. Anyone here know what that thing is? Never mind, I totally missed the banner at the beginning.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
There were actually several guns being fired in that vid.It's too fuzzy to make out what brand/model they were,except that I'm sure I saw a Ruger #1 in there somewhere.If they were all
577.loads they blew the cost of a small car on ammo.That thing uses a 750 grain monolithic solid bullet,with about 177 grains of powder,traveling almost 2500 feet per second,with 10,180 foot pounds of energy!!!!!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There used to be a vid of just one of those guys that falls over and drops the rifle. He broke the glass on the door. Looks like somewheres in the mid east though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe that video was shot in Dubai. The last dude was most definitely a real man, he probably owns an XCR! ;D I love all the sissies in the dresses dropping the rifle and throwing their hands up surrendering, "oh my goody gum drops!"

"This is the big one Elizabeth! I'm coming to join ya honey!!!" Fred G. Sanford, that's S-A-N-F-O-R-D...period! "The G stands for GOLD MINE!"

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'd like to have that range setup in my basement! I wonder how many yards it is?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I want to build one in my home basement when I retire. It shouldn't be too hard to put a big pipe 15 feet underground for 100m. Have an electric pulley system for targets. Ventilation is the only concern, that and the sound from downstairs carrying up stairs. It probably wouldn't be hard to build a small room that you could soundproof, similar to stereo rooms at stores. I have already thought this out and know where I would put it in my moms house up in AK.

On Edit, here are a few web sites I have looked at in the past.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32297
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=212504
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1914352
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50837
http://yarchive.net/gun/underground_range.html
http://rangeinfo.org/

It sounds like a big undertaking but it is doable, especially with enough space. I would do it in a heartbeat if I knew I wasn't planning on moving again.

One of the things I see is to build a "wine Cellar" into the basement then modify it after the basement is finished. That would be a pretty large wine cellar to work as a range, though for pistol only it wouldn't have to be too big.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A local gun shop had (4) 100 yard underground concrete tubes setup.

They used positive air flow by installing power vents in the area behing the bullet trap. These vents pulled air from the shooting area, dwon through the tubes, and exhausted out the top. When you fired, you could see the smoke dissipate and be pulled down the tube.

They used 36" concrete sewer pipe. I never saw what was used for a bullet trap, but in the 20 years they were in use, I never heard of any ricochets.

Another local shop put a 7 yard pistol range in their basement using a huge galvanized corrugated driain pipe. It took almost a year for them to get some sort of EPA approval, presumably because it was a part of their business.

I purchased the NRA Range Guide, which includes blueprints and other good info for range building. I recommend it.

I am considering construction of an indoor (25 yard) range behind my pole barn. The biggest expense will be the bullet trap, and I am considering several different options. Since it will be for personal use only, my primary concerns are safety and lead hazards.

I'd be interested in hearing of anyone else's personal indoor range success! ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am considering construction of an indoor (25 yard) range behind my pole barn. The biggest expense will be the bullet trap, and I am considering several different options. Since it will be for personal use only, my primary concerns are safety and lead hazards.
I need to go take a picture of the range on Balad. It is just a small aircraft hanger (half dome concrete bunker) with a backstop. I like the idea of using railroad ties, dirt and tires. I would really like a way to reclaim lead but that would probably be a once a year clean up the backstop area endeavor. Luckily I have 12+ years until I retire so i have plenty of time. One option would be to purchase a few 20ft Sea/land shipping containers that can't be used anymore for shipping. You would weld them together end to end. Those would work pretty good I would think. Maybe this needs it's own thread someday?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've seen some problems with railroad ties / dirt / tires...

My ex father-in-law built a backstop out of railroad ties and dirt. It was a nice setup, about 75 yards.

Unfortunately, we discovered that shooting consistently in the same spot (e.g railroad ties) creates a 'hot spot' where lead builds up. Once enough lead has built up, ricochets begin. :duh:

No one ever got hit, but we heard several hit around us (a couple times when shooting .22LR) - so we built a plywood baffle - basically a sheet of 3/4 plywood in front of the railroad ties with a 12" air gap.

It worked well, contained anything that had potential to ricochet, and was easily to repair/replace. I wish I was more rural, as this is how I would setup an outdoor configuration for myself.

I'm presently looking at a armor plate bullet trap but need to get some real world pricing and cost to include delivery.

I considered the shredded rubber trap, but am concerned about the fire hazards associated with hot spots in the rubber (similar to the railroad ties).

At work, they just completed a massive excavation/clean up of the pistol range because of years of lead accumulation. We have ( 8 ) shooting lanes and the lead found during excavation was incredible. As hard as it is to believe - the lead extracted was well over a ton. I suspect the EPA would have a cow if they ever conducted soil samples - and it was rumored that they hauled it all off to some reclamation plant to extract the lead and burn the dirt.

New dirt was hauled in, and hydro-seeded to complete the job. It looks really nice!

I've seen portable ranges (made out of semi-truck trailers) so your used steel container idea is along those lines.

Even AAC has one!

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
lol, that's a great video.

Everyone in that video needed a better stance to stop em from falling over.

Assuming they knew it was going to have that much Recoil.

If they all knew it kicked hard, lean into the shot and spread your feet out so you don't fall over.

Funny video overall though ;D

·
Registered
332 Posts
One option would be to purchase a few 20ft Sea/land shipping containers that can't be used anymore for shipping. You would weld them together end to end. Those would work pretty good I would think. Maybe this needs it's own thread someday?
I don't think those are terribly expensive either. I had a friend purchase of few of those for storage for his business. Don't remember what he paid though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts