XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[shadow=red,left]Bill Springfield[/shadow] is heaven sent when it comes to fine-tuning the XCR's trigger. :rockon: I just received my 6.8 SPC XCR last week. It was so beautiful, my eyes welled up with tears. It wasn't until I dry fired it, and discovered how crappy the trigger pull felt, that the tears really began to flow. :pissedoff: No worries, I had previously done enough research to expect the horrible trigger pull, and to prepare for it's solution. Evidently, when it comes to fine-tuning the XCR, most specifically it's trigger, the name that repeatedly came up... was "[shadow=red,left]Bill Springfield[/shadow]".
Having discovered that Bill Springfield conducts his business in my own town of Colorado Springs, I had the opportunity to meet him in person, as I dropped off my XCR to receive one of his infamous trigger jobs. His work was completed within 30 minutes! :eek: Now how's that for service? As for the trigger itself...? -"Exquisite!" He decreased the factory's original trigger pull (approx. 7-8 lbs.) down to my requested 3 1/2 lbs. In addition, as an unexpected added perk, the trigger had a quicker reset. Upon testing the trigger pull, I felt that the creep was virtually removed, leaving me with a short, crisp, break. Oh, the smile on my face. ;D All in all, Bill delivered exactly what he promised, a very short 3.5 lb pull, a smooth clean break, with it's trigger staging/creep eliminated. "Excellent work Bill!" :clap: His reputation of excellence is well earned.
Having had the opportunity to have met Bill in person, I can tell you this: Bill is kind, honest, personable, and professional in every way. His work is obviously an outward reflection of the person within. He is a pleasure to work with; and there is no doubt that I will be bringing all of my future weapon's needs, down his way to take care of. His fee for service was not only fair, but so low compared to the quality of his work, that I gave him a little extra... just so I wouldn't feel like I was taking him for granted. 8) Check out his website at www.TriggerWork.net[/b]]www.TriggerWork.net
So, in a nutshell, I would sum up my experience as:...

:party: :toast: :freedom: :rotatingsmile: :thanks:

-Ruy G.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well USAF-XCR, I had to shoot hell out of your balloon.................. but we on this forum have been using Bill for trigger work for years! Bill is a great guy on most any trigger. You will find great comments about him on some very old posts. BUT thanks for ANY positive post to help out those on this forum. Enjoy your XCR. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Glad you are happy, Bill really does great work. I honestly never was real unhappy with my trigger, Bill just made it better.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
I have 3 of his triggers in my ARs (They are GREAT).....and I plan to have him re-work the XCR as soon as I get it.....assuming it doesn't come with the new 2 stage trigger in February (any new word on that btw?).

I was thinking of going with the 4.5# job on the XCR.....mostly b/c I thought I'd read issues here with the lighter pull not working on the harder primers as reliably??

Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Sean I would say stick to the slightly heavier pull.When you mess with the hammer spring it tends to be iffy on hard primers.I think the grip screw mod accomplishes the same thing without compromising reliability.

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
Sean I would say stick to the slightly heavier pull.When you mess with the hammer spring it tends to be iffy on hard primers.I think the grip screw mod accomplishes the same thing without compromising reliability.
Thanks. That's kinda where I'm at....go with the heavier pull for the reliability. As for the grip screw mod....I read up on it but I'm unclear as to if it would benefit me AFTER I have Bill do the trigger to a "Bravo" ;) special.

Any input?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
You may want to try to grip screw mod before sending your trigger off.It's very easy to do and may give you the results similar to what your after anyway.The grip screw mod basically takes most or all of the heavy first stage out of the trigger.The remaining weight comes only from the trigger/sear and hammer engagement points.The finish being a little rough on these contact points makes the trigger pull "feel" heavy.When you polish those cantact points and do the grip screw mod,the resulting feel is pretty damn sweet,nice clean break at about 4.5-5 pounds.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Bill,his work is great.Some people are just more mechanically inclined than others and are willing to try new things.I am not a gunsmith by any stretch,but the XCR due to it's simplicity lends itself more to this than other designs.The nice thing about the grip screw mod is that you can adjust how much first stage you want by shimming with washers to get the "feel" you seek.

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
You may want to try to grip screw mod before sending your trigger off.It's very easy to do and may give you the results similar to what your after anyway.The grip screw mod basically takes most or all of the heavy first stage out of the trigger.The remaining weight comes only from the trigger/sear and hammer engagement points.The finish being a little rough on these contact points makes the trigger pull "feel" heavy.When you polish those cantact points and do the grip screw mod,the resulting feel is pretty damn sweet,nice clean break at about 4.5-5 pounds.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Bill,his work is great.Some people are just more mechanically inclined than others and are willing to try new things.I am not a gunsmith by any stretch,but the XCR due to it's simplicity lends itself more to this than other designs.The nice thing about the grip screw mod is that you can adjust how much first stage you want by shimming with washers to get the "feel" you seek.
Thanks for the info. I'm fairly mechanically inclinded (I work on Apaches for a living as a Field Engineer) and I spent almost 3 years building this from scratch:

but I'm no gunsmith either. I'm not sure how much to take off of the sear/trigger/hammer engagement points....which is why I'll try the grip screw mod and then probably still ship it off to Bill to work his magic. As I said, I have 3 of his triggers in my ARs and I am super pleased with his work.

Thanks again for the info.....it's been very helpful.

Sean

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm fairly mechanically inclinded (I work on Apaches for a living as a Field Engineer) and I spent almost 3 years building this from scratch:

but I'm no gunsmith either. I'm not sure how much to take off of the sear/trigger/hammer engagement points....which is why I'll try the grip screw mod and then probably still ship it off to Bill to work his magic. As I said, I have 3 of his triggers in my ARs and I am super pleased with his work.

Sean
Very Nice Ride

Thank You for your service

G

·

I'm not sure I get what needs to be done with the grip screw mod. can you explain it further please?

Personally I think a combat trigger should be no less than 4.5 lbs. I prefer a nice two stage trigger with a crisp let off and a little bit of overtravel. Much higher than 6lbs and the trigger becomes an issue. 3.5 lbs is for target guns IMHO

·
Registered
22,175 Posts

Sean
Very Nice Ride

Just so it's clear...I'm not military (in case that wasn't clear). I work as a civilian for Lockheed Martin. I take a great deal of pride in my work knowing that our boys lives depend on me doing my best. In fact, I recently had a very cool experience at Patriot Ordinance Factory talking with Frank (the owner) where he introduced me to several people while on a tour of his incredible facility. One of the guys was ex-spec ops of some sort (I didn't want to pry), but it made me feel really good to have him recount that the Apache had saved his and his teams' asses on several occassions. Just made me feel like what I do matters especially to be recognized and thanked by someone of that caliber that I should be thanking for their service.

Sean

·
Registered
923 Posts

Sean
Very Nice Ride

Just so it's clear...I'm not military (in case that wasn't clear). I work as a civilian for Lockheed Martin. I take a great deal of pride in my work knowing that our boys lives depend on me doing my best. In fact, I recently had a very cool experience at Patriot Ordinance Factory talking with Frank (the owner) where he introduced me to several people while on a tour of his incredible facility. One of the guys was ex-spec ops of some sort (I didn't want to pry), but it made me feel really good to have him recount that the Apache had saved his and his teams' asses on several occassions. Just made me feel like what I do matters especially to be recognized and thanked by someone of that caliber that I should be thanking for their service.

Sean
While you are not in the Military serving what you do is invaluable to their effort, so you are still serving in some capacity, and I am sure there are many servicemen and women who are glad you are doing what you do.

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
Thanks. Nice of you to say, but I'm just some schmoe doing my best.....the real heros are the soldiers....but I really appreciate what you're saying. Awfully nice of you.

Thanks again,
Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Sean It's nice to know some people still take pride in their work.Ok the trigger/hammer/sear engagements points,you don't really remove any material,but your just removing the rough finish and polishing,no files are needed,or recommended.It's really very simple.If you can disassemble the trigger components from the lower and reassemble them you should do fine.Here is a link for how I did mine.
http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1320.0.html
Jack,you should find the grip screw modification there too.It too is also very easy to do with just a few parts from the local hardware store.I agree that about 5 pounds is just right for a fighting rifle,however how it feels,is actually more important than weight,to a degree.If it breaks cleanly it tends not to "feel" as heavy.The heaviness of the first stage on the stock XCR was what bothered me.Ask tacweapon what his opinion of my trigger work is.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Sean, that is one bad truggy or whatever you call it. I could tell that was Arizona from the yard. I lived out in Sierra Vista for a year, nice place. I like Arizona because there are so many gun/defense builders out there.

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
Sean, that is one bad truggy or whatever you call it. I could tell that was Arizona from the yard. I lived out in Sierra Vista for a year, nice place. I like Arizona because there are so many gun/defense builders out there.
I figured you probably lived here with your user name....but now you mentioned you only lived in Sierra Vista for a year.

Thanks for the compliment....it was a LOT of work, but it turned out really nice and I'm very happy with it.

Sean

1 - 20 of 24 Posts