XCR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the gun show today and purchased 50 rounds of .357 sig Winchester Ranger Ammo. $26.50 a box. They had a tone of it. So I grab a box open it up and take a look. I used to have Black Talon ammo a long time ago. I remember it very well. This stuff looks identical except for the Lubalox (black) coating. You can even see the "claws".

I think it was a very decent price as you usually buy 20 rounds of .357 sig for that price. I should have bought more. But I will place an order in a few weeks with them for a few more boxes.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, that really isn't a bad price, considering the way ammo prices are these days. You could probably spend that much on a box of 20 hydra shock in 45acp.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never been a real big fan of the Hydra-shocks. They just don't impress me much. They are good rounds but I prefer to go with Gold Dot, Ranger, or DPX all in .357 sig. Gotta love the Barnes X-bullets. Those things rock.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That is the same price as Winchester White box target ammo at Wal-Mart, so I'd say you got a bargain.

I picked up a case (500) rounds of Winchester Ranger in .40SW online for $139 last March.

Looking back, I should have bought 5000 rounds for that price! Of course, they are all sold out now... :mad:

For CCW, I carry Ranger as well as Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber.

I prefer the premium nickel plated cases of Speer and Remingtion since they don't tarnish like the brass, but (target/grouping) performance of these three have been roughly the same for me when comparing them at 7 to 10 yards.

G

·
The ranger -T ammo is the child of the old black talon. It's a much better designed bullet now and you got a fair price for it.

good job. 8)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ranger -T ammo is the child of the old black talon. It's a much better designed bullet now and you got a fair price for it.

good job. 8)
I didn't know whether it was a good price or not. I just new it was hard to come by. So I grabbed a box of it along with 1000 Winchester WSR primers.

I now have two Glock .357sig 13rnd mags filled with the Ranger ammo. The others are filled with Speer GD, PoweRball, and DPX. That DPX stuff is impressive too. I haven't tested the rangers yet but I plan to in the near future.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have tried to find Ranger-T locally in 9mm for CCW but all the shops have is the Ranger in 40 cal. I am forced to use Gold Dots.

VB: do you know of any local sources of Ranget-T in 9mm?

MadDog :mad:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You say forced like that is a bad thing. Gold Dot are excellent rounds.

G

·
yeah, you are definitely not giving anything up by using gold dots. GD is a consistently excellent performer along with the HST and Ranger line. the differences are so minute as to be practically moot.

eg, ranger may be slightly deeper in penetration (<1") where the gold dot might open 1/2" sooner. it's all symantics as the pistol is not a real good performer anyway.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Golden Saber and Talon bullets were designed by the same guy and work very well. Newer Ranger tips are better than the Old black Talon as they have a slightly thicker jacket design which stops the petals folding back on themselves as much. The new .45 230grain +P is the latest. Very nice in gelatin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts