XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree, I love my 762x39 Robinson but hate the magazines, I've started buying some of the 28 rounders so they'll fit in a chest rig, but as if 30s weren't hard enough to find lol. Also I want to be able to use the 75 round keyed drums in one!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also I can say that if Robinson would release an AK lower I feel it would pull more people into the XCR community. My dad is a perfect example, he enjoys shooting my XCRs but is a die hard AK fan (only wants one in x39) but wont get one because he doesn't like the magazines and does not want to buy a pile of new magazines

·
Registered
22,977 Posts
I agree, I love my 762x39 Robinson but hate the magazines, I've started buying some of the 28 rounders so they'll fit in a chest rig, but as if 30s weren't hard enough to find lol. Also I want to be able to use the 75 round keyed drums in one!
28 Rounders? Not following. You mean the 25/26 round Unimags?

·
Registered
22,977 Posts
There is this solution.

I have been considering getting a few if I find the time to pick up a 5.45 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well....it's a "solution" for 7.62x39, sorta. Unimag's parent company is sketchy as hell. I don't know that they will be in business that much longer TBH. From my experience, in 7.62x39, it takes one gas setting higher to run reliably than the ASC 30 round goofy curved mags....and that translates to more recoil and slightly increases splits. Also, from the factory, a 3rd are going to be defective. I don't think dropping these things doing emergency reloads is a good idea either as I did some experimenting with some of them by putting them in a vise and stretching or press and compressing the body to make them work. That doesn't scream durability for heavy use.

And then there's the fact that roflcopters IIRC tried 6.5G in them and they aren't reliable. I haven't tried that yet, or 5.56 as Unimags were the 'solution' to the extreme curve in the ASCs and I was only trying to run 7.62x39 in the XCR.

·
Super Moderator
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unimag are only useful for 7.62x39, everything else double feeds or pops out of the mag on hard insertions. Really disappointing for a "universal" magazine. Sample size of 60 mags

We need something that's dead reliable like a pmag

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well....it's a "solution" for 7.62x39, sorta. Unimag's parent company is sketchy as hell. I don't know that they will be in business that much longer TBH. From my experience, in 7.62x39, it takes one gas setting higher to run reliably than the ASC 30 round goofy curved mags....and that translates to more recoil and slightly increases splits. Also, from the factory, a 3rd are going to be defective. I don't think dropping these things doing emergency reloads is a good idea either as I did some experimenting with some of them by putting them in a vise and stretching or press and compressing the body to make them work. That doesn't scream durability for heavy use.

And then there's the fact that roflcopters IIRC tried 6.5G in them and they aren't reliable. I haven't tried that yet, or 5.56 as Unimags were the 'solution' to the extreme curve in the ASCs and I was only trying to run 7.62x39 in the XCR.
Well damn. I hadn’t heard they weren’t any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,977 Posts
Unimag are only useful for 7.62x39, everything else double feeds or pops out of the mag on hard insertions. Really disappointing for a "universal" magazine. Sample size of 60 mags

We need something that's dead reliable like a pmag
100% agree....My ASC 30s are dead reliable....but the shape is a problem. I bought 20 rounders...but haven't tested 'em yet and dropping to 20 rounds of capacity sux...IMO.

·
Registered
22,977 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm guessing that Pmag has decided that 7.62X39 mags probably can't be made to be Uber reliable. I don't think they would build it if it wasn't close to 100 percent reliable, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
22,977 Posts
Sean, here's a link to the 28 rounders.

Is it just me or do these look to be the same shape as the Cproducts/ASC mags? Yeah...they are just shorter. 30 rounder on the bottom....28 on top of it.

Aircraft Machine gun Toy Lego Air gun

From the Duramag site:
"28 vs 30 round mags.

You may have noticed that we produce both 28 round and 30 round magazines for the 7.62×39 caliber, and you may be thinking “why?” Well the answer is really quite simple. The 28 round Duramag SS 7.62×39 magazine was designed specifically for operator preference and shooters that wish to use 5.56 style kit and pouches. The magazines are a great deal shorter than the 30 round version allowing them to fit more comfortably in any mag pouch or carrier and decreases or eliminates contact with the magazine next to it if in a chest-rig."

·
Registered
123 Posts
Duramag is c products, I've only got 2 or the 28 rounders and only shot one, the other is still in the packaging and in small print under duramag it says by c products. The one I've shot with seems reliable, don't have a ton of rounds on it but I wasn't immediately a jamahaulic either.

·
Registered
22,977 Posts
Duramag is c products, I've only got 2 or the 28 rounders and only shot one, the other is still in the packaging and in small print under duramag it says by c products. The one I've shot with seems reliable, don't have a ton of rounds on it but I wasn't immediately a jamahaulic either.
Ah....didn't realize they were the same thing. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
22,977 Posts
Shit, this STANAG X39 mag thing is a mess. I've got a fuck ton of the 30 round ASC, 20+ of the 20 round ASCs, 24ish of the Unimags and now I'm looking at buying 28 round CProducts/Duramags just to have something reliable (assuming these Cproducts are much better than their earlier iterations that nose dived into the front of the mags) that fits in pouches. All b/c Alex refuses to admit AK rock in mags have their place....b/c they just fucking work and are inexpensive. Love the caliber and my X39 XCR....hate the mag situation.

Reactions: Flskunkape

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shit, this STANAG X39 mag thing is a mess. I've got a fuck ton of the 30 round ASC, 20+ of the 20 round ASCs, 24ish of the Unimags and now I'm looking at buying 28 round CProducts/Duramags just to have something reliable (assuming these Cproducts are much better than their earlier iterations that nose dived into the front of the mags) that fits in pouches. All b/c Alex refuses to admit AK rock in mags have their place....b/c they just fucking work and are inexpensive. Love the caliber and my X39 XCR....hate the mag situation.
Sean,
Are you saying that your remaining ASC and Unimags are still not reliable? I was under the impression from earlier threads that you culled the ones that work well etc. FYI for at least a year the RA website has extolled the reliability of the (new) CProducts Duramags. I’m still waiting for my x39 conversion but should
My plan be to source Duramags exclusively and not bother with the rest?
Isn’t the real reason why RA doesn’t shift to AK mags that they want to stick with the simplest conversion possible? It seems like AK mags would require an entirely different lower and that would defeat the XCR concept.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts