XCR Forum banner

Bolt stuck open three times today

14K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  GunnutzON 
#1 ·
At the end of three mags today the bolt jammed open. It didn't seem to be the bolt catch/ release it was stuck. Had to pop it open and physically push it forward. Cycled fine fired fine.

Its a new xcr-l in 5.56/.223. Shooting Winchester 223 50 grain I believe. I had followed a slow break in and these were just nearing the 100 round point.

Any thoughts on what to check? Seemed to bee some scoring/ wear on the bottom of the bolt carrier.

Had some strong trigger slap on gas setting 4 and just dialed to 3.

Thanks for any guidance...

#3 ·
Check the ejector bolts to make sure they are not loose. Also take a look at the operating rod and bolt for any gouges to see if there was anything rubbing there as well.

Reactions: DocB
#4 ·
HI Guys... thanks for the input. I'll check it over in detail tonight (I didn't have time to check last night) but from the quick field disassemble I noted some noticeable wear/scratches along the bottom of the bolt carrier. The bolt release seemed to be working just the bolt stuck about 1-2 mm behind that point. Previously during the first 60 rounds I kept it on gas setting 4 and was having the trigger smack my finger enough to make it sting for a few seconds. After unjamming it I could manually cycle it over and over without it sticking. All 20 shots 4X5 went off without issue just at the end when the bolt holds open it was "stuck" open. I'll pull it apart and shoot a picture of anything I come across.

#7 ·
Canadian Eh,
I have a Cdn Spec XCR-L in 6.8 SPC. I didn't have the problem of the bolt sticking open, but I really echo Merlin's comments. (Look to see if there are any signs of wear on the buffer if they are minor, turn down your gas and order a new buffer so you'll have one "just in case". If the buffer has obvious signs of wear, I would order a couple new ones, replace the existing one and have a back up.) When I was breaking in my XCR, by 150 rounds, my buffer was chewed up and gone. I replaced it and dialed the gas back to 2 and now, the only problem I have when I take it to the local range is getting that silly smile off my face when I shoot it! :D Congrats on your purchase and have fun.
Hoag

#9 ·
Could it have been a mag that had the mag catch slot cut too low and was holding the mag too high in the receiver? That might explain the scratches on the bottom of the bolt. I had a similar issue with an AR-180B, but it was the mag catch, not the mags that were out of spec.

#10 ·
Finally got time to strip it, clean and inspect it. The deflector is solid. The buffer shows no wear, It was all a little dirty but nothing jumped out except the light wear on the bottom of the bolt carrier and bolt. The marks were gold/brass colored rather than just silver from wearing the black coating on the surfaces. Here are some pictures: Wood Office supplies Rectangle Font Cosmetics
Office supplies Office equipment Trigger Gun accessory Air gun
Hood Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk
Any thoughts? The bolt hold and release seems to work well it just seemed that when firing the bolt got stuck back and wouldn't release forward.

#11 ·
I'm quite new to firearms and definitely a novice with the XCR-L so feel free to correct me if I use the wrong term for something or an just not understanding basic functions of the mechanism. It ran the first 60 rounds through with not one issue (besides the trigger slap I mentioned). Then jammed/stuck the bolt back in the last 3 of four magazines. Again your input is greatly valued.

#12 ·
my bolt/carrier also has the gold rub marks but my bolt doesn't "stick" so I don't think that is your issue.........is your bolt moving in the carrier fine not catching or hanging up?

#13 ·
The bolt seemed to be moving well. I do recall it being stuck back one time when I popped it open to unjam. The back of the bolt sticks out the back and gave it a push forward with a thumb to release the whole unit forward. I fit happens again I'll take careful note and maybe shoot a short video. Maybe it was just a but dry/dirty?

#16 ·
Maybe it was just a but dry/dirty?
That won't do it - these things run fine when they've not been lubed, cleaned, or anything but fired for several thousand rounds.

Sean knows his stuff. Give it a go. But yes, some pictures - especially a video - would help a bunch.

#14 ·
The brass marks are normal. You *could* very carefully polish the bottom of the carrier....but don't change the geometry of anything and don't take it down at all....just polish it.

#19 ·
Had the same thing start happening to mine. It's been flawless for about 700rds but now I'm noticing on the last round of each mag, that it'll get snug, such that you got to give it a bit of a tug to pull back the bolt and release. Eventually after a few more mags the bolt will jam rock solid after the last round is fired,and no amount of muscling will make it budge. Anybody have any ideas on what's going on? Checked the ejector and it's on solid...furthermore the bolt slides effortlessly during racking so don't know what is causing it to get locked up like this.

#20 ·
I have not got out to shoot it since. I pulled it apart, checked for any wear or damage and lubed it all up really well. Everything looks fine, ejector is solid, no marks on the buffer. Like you it cycled properly until the last round in the magazine them jammed solid with the bolt stuck back. It manually cycles fine when unjammed. I'm likely not even at 200 rds yet. I'll test it out this weekend if I can and post up the results. Please let me know if you find out anything on yours.

#21 ·
I had one that ran for 1K rounds of Wolf camo box flawlessly, then I switched to Wolf Black Box and within relatively few rounds, it would lock up....but with a spent case in the chamber.

Do you have a spent case in the chamber as well or is the bolt simply locked back?

#22 ·
In my case I'm shooting MFS ammo which I believe it better than Wolf. No problems during the first 700 rounds and no probs until the very last round in each mag. Bolt gets totally jammed in the rearward position, chamber clear, so it's ejecting the casing fine but just getting stuck back there. The bolt catch isn't even engaged so pressing on it doesn't do anything either. Dropping the mag doesn't help and also attempting to move the bolt forward using the charge handle is hopeless.

Strangely after letting it just sit on the bench for awhile I was able to get it unstuck by pulling back on the charge handle. So perhaps its getting caught on something while heating up?? Doesn't really make sense because I only put 30 rounds through it the other day at a slow pace with 3 shot groupings.

The key seems to be that it gets sticky and eventually perma-stuck only on the LAST round of each mag...any ideas?????

#23 ·
Any unusual wear on your carrier? The only thing I can think of is that there's something out of spec on the bolt/carrier that may rotate slightly and lock up the action. What about the recoil rod/spring? Disassemble and inspect? The spring is what returns the carrier to battery (minus some inertia). Heat shouldn't be the problem if you had it happen after only 30 rounds and shooting 3 shot groups.

#26 ·
Inspecting the bolt/carrier I noticed unusual wear on the corner of the bolt as shown in the photos below. Wonder if this might be allowing it to rotate slightly locking up the action? Waiting to hear back from dealer on it. Are your guys' bolts showing similar wear pattern?

#24 ·
That gold/brass colored wear is from the brass rubbing on the carrier when the bolt cycles. As for getting stuck, check your bbl where the bolt rotates in, and check the keyway that rotates the bolt. If those are free of garbage, or rough spots, I would check the op-rod next. Pull the bbl and tube, clean them good, inspect them, and clean/inspect your piston. It's never usually a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check them anyways.

#28 ·
OP, since your in Canada, contact wolverine supplies as they are our distributor. They took care of me when i had the same problem.
Here was my bolt, damage to the same area already posted in this thread

i couldnt see where this was getting stuck for the life of me, but a new bolt solved the problem, i was told by wolverine that they recieved a batch of rifles that all had defective bolts. Hope you have already solved this issue

#29 ·
I have sent mine back to Wolverine and they have confirmed that there is an issue with some of the Canadian XCR-L's in 223 that have an out of spec. bolt/bolt carrier. We are just now waiting for parts from Robinson Arms to correct the problem and get the rifle functioning properly again. I've just emailed the company and am hoping for a good response and efficient action. I'll update as things progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.