XCR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
I had one that ran for 1K rounds of Wolf camo box flawlessly, then I switched to Wolf Black Box and within relatively few rounds, it would lock up....but with a spent case in the chamber.

Do you have a spent case in the chamber as well or is the bolt simply locked back?

I had one that ran for 1K rounds of Wolf camo box flawlessly, then I switched to Wolf Black Box and within relatively few rounds, it would lock up....but with a spent case in the chamber.

Do you have a spent case in the chamber as well or is the bolt simply locked back?
In my case I'm shooting MFS ammo which I believe it better than Wolf. No problems during the first 700 rounds and no probs until the very last round in each mag. Bolt gets totally jammed in the rearward position, chamber clear, so it's ejecting the casing fine but just getting stuck back there. The bolt catch isn't even engaged so pressing on it doesn't do anything either. Dropping the mag doesn't help and also attempting to move the bolt forward using the charge handle is hopeless.

Strangely after letting it just sit on the bench for awhile I was able to get it unstuck by pulling back on the charge handle. So perhaps its getting caught on something while heating up?? Doesn't really make sense because I only put 30 rounds through it the other day at a slow pace with 3 shot groupings.

The key seems to be that it gets sticky and eventually perma-stuck only on the LAST round of each mag...any ideas?????

Any unusual wear on your carrier? The only thing I can think of is that there's something out of spec on the bolt/carrier that may rotate slightly and lock up the action. What about the recoil rod/spring? Disassemble and inspect? The spring is what returns the carrier to battery (minus some inertia). Heat shouldn't be the problem if you had it happen after only 30 rounds and shooting 3 shot groups.

That gold/brass colored wear is from the brass rubbing on the carrier when the bolt cycles. As for getting stuck, check your bbl where the bolt rotates in, and check the keyway that rotates the bolt. If those are free of garbage, or rough spots, I would check the op-rod next. Pull the bbl and tube, clean them good, inspect them, and clean/inspect your piston. It's never usually a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check them anyways.

Any unusual wear on your carrier? The only thing I can think of is that there's something out of spec on the bolt/carrier that may rotate slightly and lock up the action. What about the recoil rod/spring? Disassemble and inspect? The spring is what returns the carrier to battery (minus some inertia). Heat shouldn't be the problem if you had it happen after only 30 rounds and shooting 3 shot groups.
Inspecting the bolt/carrier I noticed unusual wear on the corner of the bolt as shown in the photos below. Wonder if this might be allowing it to rotate slightly locking up the action? Waiting to hear back from dealer on it. Are your guys' bolts showing similar wear pattern?

Mine has some wear there....but it also has like over 5K rounds on it. Not as much wear as you have in your pic.

OP, since your in Canada, contact wolverine supplies as they are our distributor. They took care of me when i had the same problem.
Here was my bolt, damage to the same area already posted in this thread

i couldnt see where this was getting stuck for the life of me, but a new bolt solved the problem, i was told by wolverine that they recieved a batch of rifles that all had defective bolts. Hope you have already solved this issue

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I have sent mine back to Wolverine and they have confirmed that there is an issue with some of the Canadian XCR-L's in 223 that have an out of spec. bolt/bolt carrier. We are just now waiting for parts from Robinson Arms to correct the problem and get the rifle functioning properly again. I've just emailed the company and am hoping for a good response and efficient action. I'll update as things progress.

Thanks for the update and good luck on the fix.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
New bolt in from RobArms and Wolverine has checked it over and has it on the way back. I'll update when it arrives and I get to try it out. I contacted Robinson to make sure they were aware and insure the parts were sent asap. I got this reply back pretty fast: "We're very aware of the issue. We just sent Wolverine some replacement bolts. There was one dimension that was off that was causing this issue. Our vendor screwed these up but we gave them some tooling to be able to better check that dimension.

Wolverine should be able to replace your bolt and that will solve the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
General Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

Well, keep us posted. Hope it gets sorted quickly.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Got the rifle back in with new bolt from RA. It seemed to cycle flawlessly through ~100 rounds. The bold held open after every mag. (stock 5 round, alu and steel LAR-15s) and shot well even with a few rapid fire segments. I've got it down on gas setting 2 now and its still chucking the casings 20 feet. I'll update again the next time I'm out shooting. Hopefully this thread helps out with anyone else experiencing similar issues.

Glad to hear it's working now. Congrats....keep us updated. :)

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Ran another 100 through the XCR this weekend and it performed perfectly (still on gas setting 2). The new bolt seems to have solved the issues. It does look remarkably different than the old one (from what I recall). I'll snap a picture of the replacement next time I have it apart. Next I'll run some steel case MFS stuff and see how it goes.

Good deal....glad to see it appears to be fixed.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Just a quick update. After the bolt replacement the XCR-L has operated flawlessly. Ran ~ 300 rounds of MFS steel cased stuff and some Winchester 55 grain with not one issue. Shooting pretty decent groups at 100 yards. Hope this thread might help anyone else that might experience the same issue.

Cheers!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.