XCR Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Hello All,
I am in the process of making a deal for Our Forum Members with a large dealer of MILTEC-1. Hang on a little until I can see what kind of deal he will offer Our 1000 Members.......
Sinker

I just obtained a second hand XCR. My intent is to disassemble, clean (though it looks pristine) and thoroughly lube with Mobil-1 and run at least 300 rounds of American Eagle through it like I'm breaking in a new one. One problem has arisen though, everyone seems to be out of American Eagle. I can find PMC, Privi Partizan and some Lake City XM193, are any of these acceptably equivalent to the American Eagle for break-in?

Hello All,
I am in the process of making a deal for Our Forum Members with a large dealer of MILTEC-1. Hang on a little until I can see what kind of deal he will offer Our 1000 Members.......
Sinker

I just obtained a second hand XCR. My intent is to disassemble, clean (though it looks pristine) and thoroughly lube with Mobil-1 and run at least 300 rounds of American Eagle through it like I'm breaking in a new one. One problem has arisen though, everyone seems to be out of American Eagle. I can find PMC, Privi Partizan and some Lake City XM193, are any of these acceptably equivalent to the American Eagle for break-in?
Good timing. I was just thinking i need to look around for some militec. My XCR shouldn't be TOO much longer :crossedfingers:

Hi folks, I'm waiting on my XCR (5.56) and I've been appreciating all the great info and advice here, and have a question (well, really alot of questions, but shwye, shwye ;))
Are any of you familiar with Gun Butter, and if so, what do you think about it as a lubricant?
Thanks in advance
Shimon

Re: Break in ammo

Hey Guys & Gals, lol, I have just worked out a SPECIAL PRICE for Miltec-1, EXCLUSIVELY FOR OUR GUN FORUM! Lex is looking it over and hopefully, we will be able to post it very soon. So, if you are in the market for some Miltec-1 lube at a Special Price, hang on just a bit and we'll have it for Us ALL!
SINKER

Why Mobil-1?

In race engines we use mineral for the first 1000 miles to let everything bed in before we go Mobil-1. Mobil is so good that if we use it first the valves don't bed and we get shite performance.

Re: Break in ammo

Hey Guys & Gals, lol, I have just worked out a SPECIAL PRICE for Miltec-1, EXCLUSIVELY FOR OUR GUN FORUM! Lex is looking it over and hopefully, we will be able to post it very soon. So, if you are in the market for some Miltec-1 lube at a Special Price, hang on just a bit and we'll have it for Us ALL!
SINKER

Why Mobil-1?

In race engines we use mineral for the first 1000 miles to let everything bed in before we go Mobil-1. Mobil is so good that if we use it first the valves don't bed and we get shite performance.

Sounds great - can you e-mail me when you have details?

Is it a good idea (another words will it work) to mix a "wet" lubricant like Mobil 1 with a "dry" lubricant like Militec-1?

One poster mentioned certain racers do this (mix a couple of capfuls in the crankcase). Seems like this would work with guns also.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms?

The idea of using a dry lubricant is to avoid attracting foreign particles to stick to your operating internal components,so I suppose in theory using a wet lubricant behind a dry one is self defeating.Will it increase lubricity?...quite possibly....but I have no evidence either way.

I just wanted to point out that Mobil 1 is great and works very well as a gun lube. However, even an AR15 isn't going to generate the kind of heat or shear that an internal combustion engine will so pretty much any motor oil will do the trick. I use Mobil 1 because I have it around for my cars but I wouldn't hesitate to use a conventional motor oil.

As an aside, there are times to use grease on certain guns. http://www.grayguns.com recommends grease for Sig and 1911 slides. I also use it for the bolt on my M1A.

A trick I use when using Mil-Tec, is to put all the metal parts in the oven at 200* - 250*. Keep wiping it in, especially the friction parts. Let cool, then do it once more. You won't have to lube for months. Carbon, wipes right off. Some people don't like Mil-tec cause it gunks. Well they are applying it much to thick one, and second they apply it like break free, CLP or the like. Thin layers, smooth it in when hot.

I switching my truck over to an AMS Synthetic Oil that's good for 1 yr/35K miles. Maybe I'll throw a little of that in my XCR. :machinegun2:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.