XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it, the purpose of the break-in period of about 300 rounds on setting 4, is to ensure the bolt, chamber, etc wear on each other to allow for easier movement, etc. SO with the price of ammo now-a-days, is it possible to manually break-in the rifle by racking the charging handle back and forth about 300 times? I know this sounds silly, but would that work. By manually charging the weapon, you are mimicking the action of firing 300 rounds.

???

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, you won't get near the same forces manually as you would with good ammo, and you also won't get to test the reliabilty of your rifle or work on the bugs.

I'd suggest picking up some ammo and just shooting your xcr as you normally would. Take it for a range trip to site it in, take it for some target practice, take it for some plinking fun. Eventually you'll smooth it out, you don't have to sit down in a single session and "waste" 300 rounds. Just make it part of your shooting experience and realize the gun might not be as reliable until you'v gotten it fully broken in. If you can't spring for Federal AE or M193, I'd say whatever your choice of plinker ammo is would be better than just manually cycling the gun.

Of course, there's nothing to keep you from manually cycling it in addition to your range trips.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I always rack it a bunch of times when assembling. Gives them a better chance of shooting well when testing. It will wear in the bolt and upper rather nicely - but you will still want to shoot to loosen some other things up.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Manually cycling anything will induce wear,which is what break-in is,It's the firearms equivalent or your piston rings seating like in a car engine.Just because the velocity isn't the same during the process doesn't mean it's not wearing together.All break-in is basically suggested for is that is a disclaimer stating that during the process in which the rifle wears itself in,you may experience a few malfunctions.In other words if you plan to use the rifle for serious work,not just a range toy,and you may actually have to bet your life on it's function,you should have put several hundred rounds through it too test function and make sure everything is 100% before doing so.Most manufacturers don't do this.Maybe they don't want to admit their product may fail when new,who knows.I think it's a testament to the company to tell everyone "hey run a few hundred rounds through it to test function before it's 100%".I think it shows not only Faith in the product but honesty and full disclosure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I will let you know because thats exactly what I did. When I did this I could actually smell the internal finish give off that phospherous/sulfery smell. I could feel it get smoother the more I did.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will let you know because thats exactly what I did. When I did this I could actually smell the internal finish give off that phospherous/sulfery smell. I could feel it get smoother the more I did.
Don't you just love that smell? :inlove:
Yes I do love that smell, going to be shooting mine this weekend, will be shooting from the seated position since I just had foot surgery. :bolt:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts