XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Latest design to combat the problem too. That doesn't bode well.

Did the gun continue to run? Guessing no, based on where it broke.

When I had a broken firing pin (Type 1 pin/bolt/carrier....I think is the correct nomenclature)....gun still ran, but I was having FTEs...but it broke like 3/16-1/4" from the end and was captured inside the bolt itself effectively making the firing pin a two piece affair. EDIT Duh....mine broke at the 'hat' end....not at the tip. Sorry for the misinformation**

It really sux that this new design with the bulged pin before the end hasn't rectified this problem. Can't for the life of me figure out why the XCR has had this issue compared to other platforms. I know the chamfering on the firing pin channel at the bolt face was an issue in years past....hopefully this is more of the same, but that break doesn't look like that's the cause.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Funny...you hover over the image and you get a small pop up that says: Finger Gas Thumb Cylinder Household hardware.

Put that in google as a search term and the first hit is this thread. Apparently the forum has auto software that is tracking what it thinks the photo contains.

Doesn't pull this thread if you search that term in DDG, just Google. Gotta love AI.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota/Scion FRS/ZN6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest design to combat the problem too. That doesn't bode well.

Did the gun continue to run? Guessing no, based on where it broke.

When I had a broken firing pin (Type 1 pin/bolt/carrier....I think is the correct nomenclature)....gun still ran, but I was having FTEs...but it broke like 3/16-1/4" from the end and was captured inside the bolt itself effectively making the firing pin a two piece affair.

It really sux that this new design with the bulged pin before the end hasn't rectified this problem. Can't for the life of me figure out why the XCR has had this issue compared to other platforms. I know the chamfering on the firing pin channel at the bolt face was an issue....hopefully this is more of the same, but that break doesn't look like that's the cause.
Funny...you hover over the image and you get a small pop up that says: Finger Gas Thumb Cylinder Household hardware.

Put that in google as a search term and the first hit is this thread. Apparently the forum has auto software that is tracking what it thinks the photo contains.

Doesn't pull this thread if you search that term in DDG, just Google. Gotta love AI.
Yea it does sux I'm trying to contact Robinson to see if they can replace. It's kinda disappointing but I still like the system tho. I just enter that on Google it's pretty hilarious.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Yea it does sux I'm trying to contact Robinson to see if they can replace. It's kinda disappointing but I still like the system tho. I just enter that on Google it's pretty hilarious.
Yeah, RA will warranty it.....hopefully they'll expedite the repair once they have pics.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I expect this would be on a list of spare parts advisable to have on hand.

Is this a part that needs to be pulled and a mechanical drawing made so that it could be made by a local machinist, or are replacements going to be quick and inexpensive from Robinson?

Please update us on time, etc. involved in the repair.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
I expect this would be on a list of spare parts advisable to have on hand.

Is this a part that needs to be pulled and a mechanical drawing made so that it could be made by a local machinist, or are replacements going to be quick and inexpensive from Robinson?

Please update us on time, etc. involved in the repair.
Should be quick and inexpensive.....But it would be wise to have spares on hand. 200 round count is a BAD sign though for this recently redesigned part. I've got the same new design in my 300 BLK conversion but haven't shot it yet.

Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
22,807 Posts

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I contacted robinson, they'll warranty it once they receive my fire pin. I just gotta sent it in and now wait. I'll keep ya updated but most likely because of this I'll have to grab a extra now.
Grey Wood Font Tints and shades Art

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
So I contacted robinson, they'll warranty it once they receive my fire pin. I just gotta sent it in and now wait. I'll keep ya updated but most likely because of this I'll have to grab a extra now. View attachment 15511
I bet that's super frustrating with a new gun and new platform. Did they give any indication as to why they thought it failed? Replacing it with the same thing if it's a design flaw doesn't seem like the proper course of action.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Makes one wonder about cryogenically freezing the part or having it made from a better material. I know there was a place doing firing pins for XCRs (the old style).

Firing Pin Parts Robinson Firing Pin Parts | Firing Pins Firing Pins
Thanks a lot for the link. I'm considering on getting a couple of Ti pins once I clarify some things. To my knowledge, the firing pin is compatible with all caliber conversions? There is only one model of firing pin available for the -L?

I bet that's super frustrating with a new gun and new platform. Did they give any indication as to why they thought it failed? Replacing it with the same thing if it's a design flaw doesn't seem like the proper course of action.
You don't suppose it could be a materials problem? I dunno what alloy the default firing pin is made of, but it looks to be some kind of steel alloy to me; so I suppose it should be adequate.

What are the chances that it could be the spring that's supporting the firing pin that could be the problem? Maybe it's letting the pin reach too far forward and causing it to break?

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Thanks a lot for the link. I'm considering on getting a couple of Ti pins once I clarify some things. To my knowledge, the firing pin is compatible with all caliber conversions? There is only one model of firing pin available for the -L?

You don't suppose it could be a materials problem? I dunno what alloy the default firing pin is made of, but it looks to be some kind of steel alloy to me; so I suppose it should be adequate.

What are the chances that it could be the spring that's supporting the firing pin that could be the problem? Maybe it's letting the pin reach too far forward and causing it to break?
Looks to me like there are 2 firing pin designs on that site....one with the hat, one without. Not familiar enough with the Type 2 to say if that's the hatless one or if that's the original Type 0 firing pin. I really only have experience directly with the Type 1.

It could conceivably be fixed by materials....depending on what the failure mode is. The alloy they picked may not like shock loading and is too brittle....or the material may be spot on but it was heat treated too high on the Rockwell C scale (making some assumptions there about the material properties though).

That's definitely a chance....but if the firing pin channel isn't too narrow and the inside is chamfered (I'm betting it's not)...then the limiter would be the primer itself and a firing pin is designed to punch through the face of the primer....I admittedly don't know how thick/strong the internal face of the primer is....but I'm still betting overtravel should NOT cause a break like the one seen here even if the pin plunged all the way through the primer and into the brass or steel case (which it shouldn't since the center of the primer pocket is a hole that is slightly larger....presumably.....than the firing pin OD)

·
Registered
175 Posts
My guess would be metallurgy. Probably too brittle. Both of my early type 2 firing pins are intact.
Hopefully it's a limited issue and didn't effect an entire batch of guns.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
My guess would be metallurgy. Probably too brittle. Both of my early type 2 firing pins are intact.
Hopefully it's a limited issue and didn't effect an entire batch of guns.
I'm wondering if the OP bought his pistol from Kermit but I don't think so....since his is MLok. Mine's from Kermit's latest batch and I'd guess they are all from the same recent production run. :(

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a December 2020 pistol and it's had about 600rds of 5.56 through it without issue. About 50/50 brass/steel
I'm not too sure what happen, mines a 300 blk I just wondering if anyone else with a 300 blk have the same problem or is it just bad luck. I wish it would last at least 7k to 10k but haven't seen anyone torture test yet either so can't said. Once robinson receive it and they'll let me know I'll update it. Again a bit disappointing and I gave to order another a head just in case this happen again.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
I have a December 2020 pistol and it's had about 600rds of 5.56 through it without issue. About 50/50 brass/steel
Does your pistol have the bulged firing pin though?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So did we ever agree that stainless steel firing pins were better than the factory pins or titanium ones? I've been reading all over that titanium isn't rigid enough for firing pins but I've not heard many objections on stainless.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts