XCR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

· Registered
23,255 Posts
There is no way the firing pin is MIM or cast. The chode was clearly added to prevent over travel of the firing pin and provide a graduated surface so it doesn't get stuck in the extended position.
You sure? I'm not convinced it's not MIM, especially since firing pins on things like Glocks are MIM.... I'd ask RobArms...but we know how helpful they'd be.

Further, while the chode was likely added for overtravel....it may be stress analysis that also played a part.

Unless one of us is actually working for RA, I'd think at best we are engaged in educated guessing.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Just had a buddies 7.62 conversion kit get bit by this failure. Purchased around the same time and ~500rds
Bulged pin or the old straight one?...I'm assuming you mean the bulged one with the 'chode'?

· Registered
617 Posts
I get that RA is constantly improving and tweaking the design and is also great that they can do just that because it’s a small operation. However, I’d appreciate it if they let owners know stuff has changed or been adjusted. At least send out an email to your newsletter list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
23,255 Posts
I'm hoping it's just a heat treat issue. I have a lot of rounds on my old firing pins
As do I...but they are the older straight design. Wondering how robust what I currently have actually is in the newer design....and praying Garandthumb doesn't get one of these defective ones.

· Super Moderator
327 Posts
When my rubber extractor springs hardened and caused premature extractor failure, after I notified them they just added a spare extractor and spring set to one of my parts orders. So it's kind of a "squeaky wheel" thing where they wait for you to have an issue and then take care of you, in my experience. RA has been pretty reasonable with me.

· Registered
2014 Toyota/Scion FRS/ZN6
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yea my fire pin also broke he sent me 2 less than a week after sending mines in, I love the platform but as long there's more problem like this he'll figure something. I really love the design of it and i hope he'll make it light too.

· Registered
11 Posts
Another day, another firing pin breaking anecdote.

This YouTuber was very reverent about his XCR when he purchased it, but now he sounds rather heartbroken after a firing pin breakage with steel cased ammo:

VIDEO:

· Registered
617 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone ordered from these guys before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm glad this option was brought up. I had this bookmarked and wanted to know if anyone had tried the four-times-more-expensive solution.

I would be concerned with the materials as others mentioned. Stainless is usually more brittle than regular steel, and I know titanium is hard and stiff, but that it galls when threaded. Not sure how that impacts it being whacked repeatedly on one end, whacking something repeatedly on the other end, and sliding against a shaft in between.
(I think in a previous round of this discussion, I mentioned the question of the metallurgy of the original pins. Keep the broken one, it might be good to sacrifice for a test. Then come up with a list of metals and hardening that would fulfill the hardness, while minimizing brittleness.)

Something that bothered me about the available, expensive, aftermarket pins:
The shape is a lot different. It does not have the shoulders and bulb of the original. Why did Robinson put those on the original, and how does it affect the function to remove them?

· Registered
23,255 Posts
I'm glad this option was brought up. I had this bookmarked and wanted to know if anyone had tried the four-times-more-expensive solution.

I would be concerned with the materials as others mentioned. Stainless is usually more brittle than regular steel, and I know titanium is hard and stiff, but that it galls when threaded. Not sure how that impacts it being whacked repeatedly on one end, whacking something repeatedly on the other end, and sliding against a shaft in between.
(I think in a previous round of this discussion, I mentioned the question of the metallurgy of the original pins. Keep the broken one, it might be good to sacrifice for a test. Then come up with a list of metals and hardening that would fulfill the hardness, while minimizing brittleness.)

Something that bothered me about the available, expensive, aftermarket pins:
The shape is a lot different. It does not have the shoulders and bulb of the original. Why did Robinson put those on the original, and how does it affect the function to remove them?
The shape is the same as the first two iterations of firing pin from RobArms, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Frankly....so far from what we're seeing....the older straight design seems to be more robust.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts