XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 12 inch heavy barrel XCR with a Quicksilver can. I broke a firing pin after about 7000 rds. It happened while taking a training course with EAG Tactical. Called Alex and they sent over new 3 pins no charge, got the pins, wrong pins. They changed the design of the firing pin. Back up and running. FWIW, operators may want to keep a spare pin w/punch/hammer to change out in the field. I raped my partners XCR in order to finish the course.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Andy, welcome to the forum. You must have been in the same class as my buddy, he said 2 XCRs went down in a course he had with Pat due to broken firing pins. Was your class just a couple weeks ago?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myself and 2 other comrades took the course in Altha, Florida at (in the panhandle) Ares Training Facility. My rifle went down the first day of class. My partner started with his M16 but brought his XCR as a backup. I on the other hand brought my XCR with my M16 as my back up. When my firing pin broke I swapped out to the M16 to finish the day. That night I found the problem, raped my partners XCR of the bolt head and continued the course the next day and finished the course without a hitch. As far as the other 27+ students in the class, the AR15s had there share of problems. I was the only person running the ROBARM XCR. I have given up my AR platform as my main stay weapon system. The XCR is a heavier battle rifle, but it shoots so much more smoother than the AR15/M16. The gas system is far superior in my opinion even when running a suppressor (which I do all the time). The bolt system stayed wet the entire time....I always heard in the background "keep those AR bolts wet" from the trainers. Once the bolts dry out on the AR15s due to whatever you will have malfunctions. The weapon system is very good in my opinion and responded better than the Ar15. My problem was a firing pin, ok, after 7k rds + and an old pin design at that. The XCR never failed/jambed up to that point and it did not after the pin was fixed. Certainly did not malfunction due to being dirty. :2cents:

Rapist you say... How dare you Terra..... :p Would you be the one that sent my pins and buffers or would that be Jacki?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum Aziator.

Customer service sent 3 of the new designed firing pins free of charge and all is back up and running. ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great to hear the review from the source. Naysayers love to pass it on but it doesn't sound like it slowed you down much. I would say with three spares, you should be good to go for a long time.

How was the course? I here a lot about Mr. Rogers lately and might try to look up one of his courses. I really enjoy his articles in SWAT.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, My buddy that was there said both ARs that he took went down at one time or another. He also made a comment to the fact that there were like 11 10" ARs there and none of them could hold a decent group at 50m...I am building an AR now just to have one but my XCR will continue to be my mainstay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to hear the review from the source. Naysayers love to pass it on but it doesn't sound like it slowed you down much. I would say with three spares, you should be good to go for a long time.

How was the course? I here a lot about Mr. Rogers lately and might try to look up one of his courses. I really enjoy his articles in SWAT.
I won the multiple target engagement qualifier as did 3 others that took the other 3 qualifications. ;D The winners got boobie prizes (hats, shirts) as well as some very nice items (LaRue Aimpoint T1 sight mount, Viking Sling, which I use neither and passed on, but very nice indeed). In my opinion, the class was was more of a refresher than an actual Tactical Carbine 1 (beginners) course. Mr Rodgers has gained the respect of the training world and rightfully so. There were 2 students that struggled through the 3 days as the individual instruction was missed. Not everybody can be Mr Operator their first time out. It was their first ever carbine class. Mr Rodgers' writings in SWAT are very informative and what I do like is that he performs himself what he wants you to do. He does things different than the LE training that we do here, but speed and accuracy are stressed highly which are very important. There will always be a different way to get from A to Z. As long as the final objective is reached, which in my opinion is, shot placement and no more holes in you.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Andy, thanks for posting.

I have a related question here; hopefully we can get some input here...

Andy, your rifle is (or was) an earlier production model with the old style firing pin that broke, I take it.

When you replaced it, you went with the new one, correct? Does this *require* the use of a new bolt? ie. was the bolt design changed as well to acommodate the new FP?

Have there been reports of problems with the new FP?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts