XCR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a Bigger hammer did not work this time :-[ I just purchased my first XCR yesterday. When I got it home one of the first items to change was the stock triggerguard to a Winter triggerguard. When tapping out the pins, I tapped to hard and broke off one of the small tabs that holds the pins. This is in the front next to the bolt release. Is there a remedy for this like JB Weld or do I need to buy a whole new Lower Reciever?

UPDATE 12/6/08
After visiting with Robinson Armament and having them look at it, they said stay away from JB Weld, and buy a new receiver for $200 or a new Intergral trigger guard ( similar to the POf design ) for $250. The new design looks really robust compared to the current design, but I have to wait 2 weeks to get my hands on it. I have changed out the trigger guard on at least a dozen AR-15's with no problems EVER. My Fix for this, was to buy a new rifle altogether. When I got the 2nd new rifle home, I tried 3 different punches, and 2 different small hammers with NO LUCK whatsover. These new rifles coming off the line must have ultra tight pins. An employee of Robinson's who said he put my rifle together days earlier, also told me, that he himself has broken 2 lower receivers doing just what I did, when tapping out the pins. Alex himself told me that they are tired of this happening, that was the reason for the development of the new lower. Personally, I would prefer the new design, But I can't bring myself to wait around and take the chance of not getting a couple XCR's.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Broken Trigger Guard

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT. I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH J.B. WELD, YOU COULD TRY IT OR FIND SOMEONE THAT CAN WELD IT UP.

·
Registered
8 Posts

That stinks. The same thing happen to a friend of mine on his RRA M4. We have a friend who does welding and loves firearms and he was able to make it look brand new. Hope you have a friend who can weld.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Try a Magpul MIAD grip with the integral trigger guard. The bolt catch should help hold everything in place and the polymer is pretty stout in its own right.

Smaller hammer, lighter taps..........yes, I've learned the hard way too! :duh:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Try a Magpul MIAD grip with the integral trigger guard. The bolt catch should help hold everything in place and the polymer is pretty stout in its own right.

Smaller hammer, lighter taps..........yes, I've learned the hard way too! :duh:
That is a good idea, I didn't think of that. I was thinking he would have to weld it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
What what what!!!!????

New lower?

Integral trigger guard?

Either I don't pay attention around here or some neat info just got leaked. Either way, sweet. ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am thinking a new development just got leaked. I wasn't aware that they were offering an integral POF style trigger guard. I think the magpul grip is still the best bet.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hopefully it was an acceptable revelation. We all enjoy the access, both for information and for those close enough to stop by, we have to Robinson and I would hate for them to tighten up on the info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of the things I like about RA is their constant drive to innovate and improve the XCR rifle. The XCX design is relatively new and you can see from the posts in this forum they listen to their customers. I really like my XCR in it current design, especially the reliability, but I am also looking forward to seeing whats next.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Terra, at least a fatal beating is not in order because I'm trying to talk the Mrs into a trip to Utah to stop by the shop!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Easy with the clubbings! I'm an old gub'ment man, I knows about secrets......I usually forget everything someone tells me so it always stays a secret that way! :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a cutting board that I use as backing when tapping out pins.

I can drill a hole where I need to so the pin can drop out while supporting the material the pin is in. My trigger guard was in REALLY tight as well and the supporting method is an absolute must regardless of the weapon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts