XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here is the picture sorry I didn't realize you had to register to see it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy didn't provide many details. :(

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well from the look of the mag its a windowed Pmag meaning 5.56.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
i saw those pictures last year on arfcom. regardless, very impressive no matter how many times i see it.

thanks for the reminder that the 223 can still be deadly ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't really hunt. I didn't think a 5.56 would kill a bear, but as a buddy of mine always says "bullet placement is everything, if you hit 'em in an organ they can't live without. They won't".

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
With 5.56 it is all about placement and velocity. close up with maximum fragmentation a 5.56 makes a big wound.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was this a self defense kill? Is there a hunting season for Grizz in Canada? Just curious. I'm not taking anything away from the gentleman or start an argument but if I had the privilege to hunt Grizzly I would use something a little larger for a weapon and hold out for a bigger trophy. Maybe there is a size limit for harvesting them? MrSmitty could you tells us if/what there is for a hunting season please?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was this a self defense kill? Is there a hunting season for Grizz in Canada? Just curious. I'm not taking anything away from the gentleman or start an argument but if I had the privilege to hunt Grizzly I would use something a little larger for a weapon and hold out for a bigger trophy. Maybe there is a size limit for harvesting them? MrSmitty could you tells us if/what there is for a hunting season please?
I would have to check with my BC buddies cause that is where most of the grizzlies live. I live in Alberta and there are some here too but I am not sure if there is a hunting season as I don't typically hunt bear. Usually just deer for myself with the odd Gopher ;D. I will do some research and let you know.

Update:

Yes there is a hunting season in BC for Grizzly but the guys are not sure if this year if there will be one. Some years they have a season some years they don't depending on bear populations.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I believe those pics are from Alaska. I remember the guy posting it last year, but then again this might be a different guy... because the rilfe, the bear, and the camo clothing looks the exact same from what i can remember.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow Terra, you'd diddle AND doodle yourself? :-\ Well you now have an XCR for just such occasions. :)

Firemanjack: Yeah, but you gotta yell "it's comin right at us" first. hahaha. Eric Cartman should get that. That's my favorite South Park episode.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow Terra, both diddle AND doodle yourself? :-\
Well you finally have an XCR for just such occasions. :)

Firemanjack: Yeah, but you gotta yell "it's comin right at us" first. hahaha. Eric Cartman should get that. That's my favorite South Park episode.
Yes that is one of many classic episodes! Love that program.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Normally you would not hunt a grizzly with anything less than a 338 magnum, 375 of whatever persuasion (HH, Weatherby equal) etc is considered normal minimum.

Guides shoot as soon as their client does to ensure they kill it with one shot.

I would self defend if needed with an XCR, and be ready to use a full magazine.

One case that involved Elmer Keith (semi wad cutter, 357 41 and 44 magnum fame) and a group of 3 other hunters were stalked by an Alaska Peninsula grizzly. As I recall the smallest gun it he group was a 35 Whelen, and the rest were bigger. The bear came up a small knoll after the, and all of them firing finally dropped it. All experienced hunters. Grizzly just not something to mess with. Phew.

You see one in person, and see how fast they can move, its downright awesome or scary. Clossest I have been (that I knew of) was a couple hundred yards, and that's plenty close.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts