XCR Forum banner

Bullet weights you shoot

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jack A Sol 
#1 ·
I was going to put this down in the 5.56 section but I figured it applied to ARs as well so it will be here for now.

With all this talk of people needing a 1:7" barrel I am curious how many people actually (and regularly) shoot 65+gr bullets? Me, I reload and 50-55gr is the most common weight available in the bulk packs so that is what I go with. I see so many people clamoring for a faster barrel I am genuinely curious what they hype is all about. Sure, I have shot M4/M16s with the 1:7" barrel but I really don't see the need on my XCR or ARs. I don't find myself shooting at distances greater than 300 regularly and when I do shoot a heavier bullet at those distances it seems that I am able to hit what I am shooting at just fine.

Talk to me goose.

#2 ·
65 grain tips out of my XCR? No.

But I've been shooting 62 grain steel-core penetrators for a couple of months now and I'm definitely getting better accuracy at 200 yards than with the 55-grain ones.

tk

#3 ·
I typically shoot 55gr FMJ but occasionally 62gr HP but I am still using factory ammo I am not reloading yet

#4 ·
I'm with you, 55 or 62gr bulk bullets, mostly. My desire for a faster twist is solely for the option. I also load 68gr and 75-77gr slugs for rainy days.

#5 ·
I do shoot 77gr from my 1:7 ARs and am still looking for an ideal 69gr load through the 1:9 XCR. Those are for loads where I am looking for the most accuracy possible from a 5.56 chambered, chrome lined barrel.

I don't have a problem shooting 55gr from either of them when economy is the goal.

#7 ·
I guess if I were to break it down, I shoot 55gr about 95% of the time.

I have only shot one box of 77gr in my life. However, I do have a nice stash of 75 gr Prvi Match that I use for my 1/7th twist barrels every once in awhile.

When I am buying reloading components I almost always buy 55gr projectiles because they are the cheapest. I also buy fully loaded 55gr Wolf, when I bought the majority of my Wolf stash it was about $150 for 1000, not much more than reloading components, and the Wolf saves me about 7 hours worth of work. Even Wolf at $250 per 1000 it is quite a bargain considering reloading will be about $150 per 1000. Is 7 hours worth $100 to you? Sometimes it is to me!

For match reloading projectiles, I buy 69gr, this covers all my guns. I would love to stick with 77gr for match bullets but I have 2 guns that have 1/9 twist, my Bushmaster and my XCR, so that is why I went with 69gr. One match projectile for all my guns.

Even though 1.9 twist suites me just fine, I think 1/9 twist is obsolete for a combat gun. 1/9 stabilizes the lower weight bullets but I do not ever plan to shoot below 55gr (for my combat rifles). I like the option to shoot 77 gr whenever I want (even if I do not shoot it that much). I would like to see 1/7 twist become standard for all 5.56 guns (unless you are building a varmint gun).

G
#8 ·
I'm trying to switch to 75+ gr exclusively. That aint gonna happen realistically, so I still will be shooting 62gr stuff a lot too. 55gr is kind of an exception. I have some but it can be used in other guns. for serious stuff with short barrels I want the 75gr.

62-77 for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.