XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up my first caliber conversion.

I have a 9.5” 300blk, and picked up a 9.5” 556. Not ideal SBR length, I know, but I had been trying to get something in a 300blk length for a while so when this popped up, it sufficed.

Either way, to the point:

When you swap out calibers, do you know your dot adjustment, do you swap to a caliber specific dot that’s already zeroed, or do you just re-zero?

Just wondering what y’all have done and pros and cons. I have an idea of what I want to do, but I’m interested in what others do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Each gun is different, what works for one won’t necessarily work for yours. I know if I pull my barrel off to do a deep clean and I put it back on it’s within a few inches, but that’s not changing to a different caliber. When I did that, I just re-zeroed.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I always use the same optic. Most of the time the same number of clicks gets me close, but I still have to fine time it with a rezero.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I recently did the "barrel straightening" thing where you loosen the gas block, move the barrel so it's fairly centered in the receiver, and re-torque it. I squirt some g96 under the gas block so it can turn a little easier on the barrel while loose. After that almost every barrel swap has only required elevation adjustments. I do mark rough zeros because my rifles seem to go back pretty close.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I recently did the "barrel straightening" thing where you loosen the gas block, move the barrel so it's fairly centered in the receiver, and re-torque it. I squirt some g96 under the gas block so it can turn a little easier on the barrel while loose. After that almost every barrel swap has only required elevation adjustments. I do mark rough zeros because my rifles seem to go back pretty close.
i don’t have any conversions yet but I’ve also done the barrel straightening and now when I remove the barrel and then return it, it’s already at zero.
Speaking of barrel straightening, I’m not sure how to describe it but I envision it could be streamlined with a kind of tool, a stepped rubber insert that fits around the barrel and slides smoothly into the end of the handguard, centering the barrel perfectly as it goes.

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Keep in mind, RA says you only do that once on initial install of the new conversion....not every time you swap (not that you said that....but it's not clear you only have to do it once).

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
If it's a rifle you're gonna use for hd/sd, rezero.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not seen this “barrel straightening” before. Anyone got a video or pictures?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts