XCR Forum banner

Camouflaging rifles

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bravo 
#1 ·
Howdy guys!

I'd decided to take on a special little project over the Christmas break, but I've been hitting snags.

What I'm wanting to do is spray paint my carbine (or two or three) in standard 3-color desert camo. What I've been running up against, believe it or not, is problems finding paint.

To make the stencils, I just put my goretex jacket on the xerox copier at work, and printed out 11"X17" copies. Easy to cut out the different colors..... I don't know if it'll work, but after thinking it out I'm figuring I can mask off the big color (the green from the sand) and then just hit it with brown squigglies every so often.

But where the heck do I find the green color? If I understand correctly, it's called Woodland Desert Sage. What I've got is FAR too dark.

I bought some Krylon normal camo colors (OD and khaki) and Krylon "fusion" colors (OD, khaki, and brown) - as well as some Testors (SAC Bomber Tan, Sand Beige, and Light Earth). Some of 'em are closer than others, but I'm still not all that happy.

So where do I get some ULTRA flat colors (it is for camo purposes after all) in rattle cans?

The best idea I've had is to wait until the businesses come back from the holidays, and get a paint store to 'color match' the goretex (although the sand color on the goretex is a touch more 'pink' than on my DCUs) colors, and charge spraycans with it.

Any other ideas? I can't be the first person wanting to put a textured paint on anodized aluminum to make desert camo.....

I should mention that I'm wanting to do this in some paint that I can remove pretty easily -using something like MEK- if it turns out looking like rubbish. I figured I'd do one in multicam and one in 3-color desert (I'm taking the easy one first) to see which pattern worked best around me. Then after getting the hang of it, doing it in something like Duracoat - I'm not doing Duracoat until I *KNOW* I can do it right, and get the results I want.

Thanks a bunch, and Merry Christmas!

See less See more
#4 ·
Bravo, if you are military your supply room should have something you could use. If you know the guys you should be able to snag a can or 2. I would use the stuff that we paint on the vehicle bumpers.

#5 ·
Bravo take a piece of paper cover it with clear packing tape then put 3"wide blue painters tape run this Thur your printer to get your stencils.the packing tape acts as a release for the blue tape stencil . use the blue tape it wont lift the base coat off when you remove the stencil asnd gives a nice clean edge with no bleed under , dura kote is good stuff , i use moly-gun kote on the barrels and high heat areas . by the way ya arnt in fl are ya ? oh and sherwin willams makes a 2 part epoxy thats just like dura kote

#6 ·
Thanks for the heads-up guys!

The thing is, I want to do it in krylon first. If I do it in Duracoat, and screw it up, I'll have to live with the screwed up duracoat forever....... With krylon, we're a rag and some MEK away from starting over.

Later, after it's duracoated, then I can spray it with white (snow camo) krylon - wiping the overwhites down with something to knock off the krylon - shouldn't touch the duracoat underneath, eh?

I could just run into the local PX, but that's 200 miles away - I don't even go there for health care 'cause it's too far. As you can guess, I'm not 'current'. I guess I could wait until the next trip, whenever that might wind up being.

And good stuff on the blue tape! I wanted to use the blue tape, but wasn't sure how to cut it for the stencil...... THANKS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.