XCR Forum banner

Cant remove barrel?

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Sean K. 
#1 ·
I've had a couple guys have issues with removing their barrels. The problem is the barrel lock screw. More specifically, tightening that screw down when the barrel is not fully set in the receiver. Make sure you can't wiggle your barrel down another hair's width before you tighten your locking bolt. If your barrel is not properly in, tightening the bolt will create a lip on the extension, thus preventing you from being able to remove your barrel without extreme measures.

We had one in the shop this week, and had to create a special aluminum rod to tap out the barrel. then we had to polish the lip off of the extension.

So, guys, in the future, just make sure your barrels are locked in all the way. Some are a tighter fit than others - if in doubt, tap your muzzle with a rubber mallet just to make sure. :)

#5 ·
And make sure the notches in the gas tube are vertical or the tab on the gas block wont allow the barrel to fully seat.

#6 ·
I have a brand spanking new XCR-L Pistol and my trying to take the barrel out for the first time. It's never been fired or removed since leaving RobArms. I can't even get the dang barrel bolt to loosen. I didn't think I had girly hands but that thing is really tight, certainly more than 200 inch pounds. Any tips before I take it to the smith and have him throw it in his vice and start to pound away on the thing?

On a side note, I'm not impressed with the taper on Magpul MBUS that requires you to slide them over the front or rear portion of rail and not just slap them on the rail anywhere you'd like. The gas block prevents the front MBUS from sliding directly onto the rail and is why I'm trying to get it off in the first place.

#8 · (Edited)
Are you using a regular L shaped allen wrench or a T handled one, or a ratchet/socket allen?

Use the L or ratchet. You should be able to clock the L shaped allen in such a way that you can use the thumb and fingers of one hand to break it loose. Or, get a longer L allen or ratchet or slide a piece of tubing over the L or fish the end of the L through an open end wrench or grab it with vise grips....just something to give you more leverage.

An example of the thumb and fingers grip is to turn the rifle over in your lap, bbl facing away from you (gun unloaded of course). Put your L shaped allen in the allen head with the long end of the L pointing somewhere around 1-3 o'clock (assuming 12 o'clock is straight ahead with the muzzle). Take your right thumb and place it on the left side of the rail (with the rifle still upside down). Take your 3-4 fingers (depending on the length of the L and the size of your hands) on your right hand and place them on the right side of the allen's L. Now squeeze your right hand thumb towards your right hand fingers, keeping your thumb on the left side of the rail (again, left side if the gun is upside down). Should come right off with that technique. If it's REALLY tight, you may have to turn the rifle more sideways in your lap and use both thumbs on the left side of the receiver rail and use the fingers of both hands on the L handle; though it will depend on your hand strength.

#16 ·
Another way to get a stuck bbl out is to remove your bolt from the BCG, remove the bbl retaining bolt and then cycle the charging handle, letting the BCG hammer the bbl out of the upper. On newer, tighter fitting guns like my 6.5G, I've had to do it.

#17 ·
I have my conversion kit to convert my XCR-L from 7.62x39 to 5.56x45. Unfortunately, I can't get the 7.62x39 barrel out. Yes, I've unscrewed the barrel screw and locked the bolt back. It just won't come loose. I even held the barrel at the muzzle and tapped on the end of the handguard with hard plastic hammer. Still, no luck. What else can I do to motivate this thing off?

#19 ·
I have my conversion kit to convert my XCR-L from 7.62x39 to 5.56x45. Unfortunately, I can't get the 7.62x39 barrel out. Yes, I've unscrewed the barrel screw and locked the bolt back. It just won't come loose. I even held the barrel at the muzzle and tapped on the end of the handguard with hard plastic hammer. Still, no luck. What else can I do to motivate this thing off?

Did you try what I said in post #16? That's how the factory told me to get it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.