XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed case neck damage during the break in period? I finally was able to get out and shoot my new XCR today and put about 320 rounds of 5.56 through it. Probably 30% of the cases we picked up had one or more dents in the side of the neck. One we found had a little bit of the lip torn back.

I only experienced one malfunction out of the lot and that was a failure to eject. It had started to feed the next round and jammed on the empty sideways. Easily cleared, no other problems.

It was tossing brass about 13-15' with the gas setting on 3.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Try a lower gas setting,they just might be coming out to hard/fast and mashing the neck/case on the ejection port or shell defelector on the side.Ideal ejection distance is about 8-10 feet.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
That brass is still pretty hot and soft when it gets shot out the ejection port, easier to damage. Unless it is really banged up (meaning smashed flat because I stepped on it) I just run them through the sizing die. Hornady dies have a good, tapered button that smooths them back out.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Mine puts a slight dent in about 10% of them, I'd say, which I believe comes from contact with the shell deflector. The sizing die takes care of it, no problem.

Like someone said, now that you have run the "break in procedure", you should turn the gas down; that might make a difference for you.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
it's typical during breakin. It's just how it ejects the shell. That, or you're shooting next to a wall/something hard and they're denting as they hit.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Brush out the chamber real good, you might have some gunk stuck in there. You might try turning off the gas and firing a shot to see if it is internal or just part of the ejection.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm still in the break-in period, running gas setting 4, and I'm getting a very consistent dent in every single neck. However if I strap on my brass catcher I get none! That suggests to me that the dent is occurring when the case hits the ground, but given how consistent it is I find that hard to conceive....

What gas settings are people typically using for standard .223 loads on 11" barrels after "break-in"?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I get some mouth dents in mine at higher gas settings. Turning the gas down will reduce it, but probably not entirely eliminate it. This is coming from contact with the outside of the receiver/case deflector during ejection, and in my experience is fairly consistent with most fixed ejector rifles; I've seen it as well on FALs and AKs.

It is nothing to worry about. In terms of wear on the brass it isn't even that bad either; the expander will fix it right up. It isn't near as bad overall as, say, a large or fluted chamber, or a rifle with non-tunable super violent ejection.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
What gas settings are people typically using for standard .223 loads on 11" barrels after "break-in"?
hard to say, I just turn the brass down until the gun wont reliable cycle then take it back up one setting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts