XCR Forum banner

Casings ejecting with crescent moon dent at mouth/neck

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sean K. 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just recently bought an XCR-L and shot it for the first time the other day. I had the gas set on 5 and then turned it down to 4 and put about 50 rounds through it at 50 yards with both 55 and 62 grain.
All shell casings were ejecting out about 20-30 feet, with a dent on one side at the mouth/neck area looking like a crescent moon. Is this normal? Should I worry about this potential issue damaging my rifle? I just want to make sure I get it checked out or resolved before pumping anymore rounds through it.

Any help is much appreciated as this is my first rifle!

Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply naval. I didn’t get it down to three but plan to try 3 down to 1 next time I shoot. Based on what I’ve read, this could be a common occurrence from the xcr if gas is too high and ejection is more violent that it needs to be. Does that line with your experience?

#5 ·
Agree with what the others have said. Ejection should be 8-12 feet. Turn down the gas until you get to that point. I've had several XCRs that bent the case mouths on ejection when the gas is set higher. I don't typically worry about it too much since I shoot a lot of steel case and won't be reloading it, but will run a higher than necessary gas setting since I hardly ever clean or oil my guns and reliability is more important than extra recoil impulse to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.