XCR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have probably 3 or 4 of these triggers now and have installed a few for others.

No issues with any of them with thousands of rounds down range so far.....BUT....yesterday I had a new one I installed and have run probably less than 300 rounds through it.

It was failing to reset by not allowing the trigger to move fully forward. It wasn't even moving forward enough to allow the trigger safety to exit the frame so the trigger safety was disengaged all the time.

Took it apart today thinking it was potentially a bend angle problem on the connector. It was not. It was mechanically not able to move forward for some reason.

As it turns out, Timney (to be fair, they do not advertise this as a self defense trigger....merely a competition one) in its not so infinite wisdom chose to use a tiny set screw underneath the bottom of the trigger shoe on the front side (you can't see it with the trigger installed) that I didn't even know was there.

Apparently, when I installed the trigger and fit the connector (Ghost Rocket with TCT) and dry fired it probably several hundred times, it was fine. However, the vibration of those couple hundred rounds walked the set screw inward leaving the trigger at first unsafe, and then inoperable.

I have an email into Timney now to determine if they use something like loctite or vibratite on this screw or if they rely solely on a tighter thread class to keep the screw from screwing itself in or out during firing.

Just be aware of this if you have one of these triggers or are thinking of buying one. I'll post up what Timney says is the remedy once I have a response.

Triggers are definitely a personal preference thing and for me, in a Gen 3 Glock, a OverWatch Precision OWP aluminum trigger (the Polydats are very loose in terms of the tolerance for the pin resulting in slop) coupled with a properly fitted Ghost Pro 3.3 connector has been fantastic, but I've struggled to get anything close to that good on Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks. The Gen 5 Glocks take a lot of custom massaging of the 'bird's beak' on the trigger bar if one uses the OWP trigger and Pro 3.3 that is really easy to fuck up and give you no reset at all if you take more than a handful of swipes to break that edge. By contrast, the Timney Alpha Competition on a Gen 5 with the Ghost Rocket 3.5 gives a definitive wall, a very light trigger pull (2.5ish pounds) and a very short overall travel and reset that is as good a trigger combo as I've found for Gen 5s.....but...this set screw issue is a problem.

Again, JFYI.

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other note, to be fair, Timney's engineers probably never considered someone using a Ghost connector to limit overtravel. From what I can tell, this set screw is to adjust pretravel/take up. It is possible that there's an added vibration component from the trigger hitting the hard stop of the Rocket's Trigger Control Tab (TCT) to limit the overtravel as the gun is fired/cycled....which could account for why the set screw was turning itself in, though I don't know why the other Gen 5's I've done this to haven't exhibited the problem with similar ammo and more rounds downrange.

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got a response from Timney:

Hi Sean,

Apologies for the delay, this message was just now forwarded to technical support.
The pretravel adjustment screw on the front of the trigger shoe should be held in place with Blue Loctite 242.
If it does not have any or not enough on the threads you can add some and readjust it to fit your frame.
Is the trigger assembly experiencing anything else or just the screw moving position?

Sincerely,
Technical Support
Alex Prescott
Timney Triggers
2020 W Quail Ave
Phoenix AZ 85027
P: 623-223-1111

1 - 3 of 3 Posts