XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've always wanted an XCR since ~2007 and I was finally in a place to pick one up. The only problem was the rifle wasn't in O.D. green but I sent it out to the local gun store to have OD green cerakote applied. I gave them a brand new XCR. I've attached pictures of what was applied.

There are three main issues:
  1. It's not the OD green that I requested.
  2. The magazine well and trigger well were barely covered. You can feel how thin the cerakote is in those areas, it is rough - like sandpaper. All of the other guns I've had cerakote'd are smooth and consistently applied.
  3. It looks like there were dust applied to the gun during the application process. It's hard to appreciate from the picture, but there are definitely small flakes of something embedded into the cerakote.
With that being said, would you accept this? I want to maintain a good relationship with the shop, what would you do if this were your XCR?

Hood Automotive design Bumper Grille Automotive exterior

Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

Hood Automotive design Bumper Grille Automotive exterior

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
Since there's no longer an upcharge for basic colors from RA, not sure why you didn't just order it in green. The job they did wasn't very good. How much did you pay for it? If you paid the going rate in your area, I'd say make them make it right. If you got a 'deal', you got what you paid for.

The time to speak up would have been when you picked it up, unless you didn't notice until you got home....and if you're within a few days, I'd say contact them and see what they'll do for you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
To your points above…1) looks like “bazooka green” and not OD, at least from your pics, 2) the spots that are “thinly painted“ likely come the way they hung the gun when painting and didn’t spray “upwards” very much into those areas. Looks like the thin parts are all on the “muzzle side” (top of trigger guard, top of mag release, top of mag well, etc.), assuming they hung the parts from the muzzle end 3) can’t tell about the flakes, but they may not have cleaned the equipment properly between sprays???

Overall, looks like you got a “Friday afternoon” or ”End of shift” paint job in my opinion. Talk to them and see what they’ll do to make it right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take it back. As a shop that does its fair share of cerakote work i can attest it's not impossible to make a mistake no matter who you are or how good you normally are. If someone were to bring that back to me i would be embarrassed twice.... once for missing those spots, and the second because i missed them again during reassembly and didn't redo it before anyone saw i made the first mistake. Not to mention the wrong color. Tell them the H number you want so theres no mistakes and tell them its really no big deal that its the wrong color because it has to be redone again anyway. If you approach this as "everyone makes mistakes" and dont be an idiot busting through the front door yelling and screaming, they will take care of you. If by some CRAZY reason they wont, just post the pics all over local social media and show off their good work. They'll call you...

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's a poor job all around plus the wrong color. I wouldn't accept it. Take it back ASAP. The longer you wait the more they'll feel like it's acceptable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a poor job all around plus the wrong color. I wouldn't accept it. Take it back ASAP. The longer you wait the more they'll feel like it's acceptable.
I wouldn't have paid for it. I would be upset like you, I would politely ;-) inform them that after further examination this is less than acceptable. Also, they should have asked you which ODG there are 4 or 5. Green Cerakote Coatings & Cerakote Swatch Samples
The color they did for you doesn't appear to be one of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take it back. As a shop that does its fair share of cerakote work i can attest it's not impossible to make a mistake no matter who you are or how good you normally are. If someone were to bring that back to me i would be embarrassed twice.... once for missing those spots, and the second because i missed them again during reassembly and didn't redo it before anyone saw i made the first mistake. Not to mention the wrong color. Tell them the H number you want so theres no mistakes and tell them its really no big deal that its the wrong color because it has to be redone again anyway. If you approach this as "everyone makes mistakes" and dont be an idiot busting through the front door yelling and screaming, they will take care of you. If by some CRAZY reason they wont, just post the pics all over local social media and show off their good work. They'll call you...
I returned the gun to the shop and was very polite. Mistakes happen. I don't like complaining and I was very cordial. I provided them with the exact H-236 code instead of "OD green" and a picture.

The shop guy said that he didn't spray into the mag well because it would "a very tight tolerance and that's why I didn't spray into mag well". I want to give the shop the benefit of the doubt, the shops done right by me so far, but I'm worried that they're going to screw this up and mess up the XCR. Like you, I can't believe they made this mistake and passed it off as acceptable. Is it pretty hard to permanently destroy a gun with a bad Cerakote job?

To your points above…1) looks like “bazooka green” and not OD, at least from your pics, 2) the spots that are “thinly painted“ likely come the way they hung the gun when painting and didn’t spray “upwards” very much into those areas. Looks like the thin parts are all on the “muzzle side” (top of trigger guard, top of mag release, top of mag well, etc.), assuming they hung the parts from the muzzle end 3) can’t tell about the flakes, but they may not have cleaned the equipment properly between sprays???
I actually reached out to NIC/Cerakote and high volume Cerakote shop. They both said the flakes are from the Cerakote drying in air before hits the metal. Both said this is a rookie mistake.

I'll post the updated pictures as soon as I get them. I'm hoping for a redemption story.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The gun isn’t hurt at all, I’ve redone several of mine many times over as I change my mind on what I like that month.

If they don’t fix it, send it to me and I will for the cost of shipping and $35 for the OD green ceramic. That’s absurd. There’s no magwell out there that can’t take 0.002 more thickness on all sides and not bind up on a mag. If that’s the case the magwell is out of spec and they should have told you before doing the job. Or just fixed it as part of the job. That’s why it’s called “gunsmithing” and not “gunassembling”.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts