XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow, that looks great. Am I correct to assume that he stripped the lower completely before painting? I don't have any guns that are Cerakoted. How durable is it verus regular anodizing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, he sandblasted the old inconsistent Cerakote off and applied the pattern shown in the picture.

Cerakote is incredibly durable, if it's applied correctly. There are a few different types of anodizing but most commercially produced rifles are cold anodized, which is fairly hard. Cerakote produced a pretty good video showing the rust resistance vs traditional bluing. On top of everything, Cerakote looks so much cooler than a stock rifle.

Who you have apply your Cerakote matters. I made the unfortunate mistake of just going to my local shop without seeing their work product. Poorly or inconsistently applied Cerakote will peel or flake off over time.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Wow, that looks great. Am I correct to assume that he stripped the lower completely before painting? I don't have any guns that are Cerakoted. How durable is it verus regular anodizing?
If you have an XCR, even in black....it's Cerakoted.

Reactions: Huskypsycy

·
Registered
50 Posts
The website really doesn’t show much but Facebook and instagram has a lot of pictures. I appreciate the compliment thank you. I do it because I like the work and art, I’ll never get rich lol

both fbook and insta search sheffield tactical

To do it properly I leave the anodizing on if it has good adhesion. If it starts to flake when I sand blast at low pressure to only scuff, it is a poor job and I take it off. If it’s been cerakoted previously it has to come all the way off and that usually takes the anodizing with it. It’s amazing how many HIGH dollar AR brands have inferior anodizing. If it stays on that means it’s a true hardcoat anodize with good penetration I only blast scuff it, degrease and degas, and I’ve never had my coating come off yet without severe use and it only wears normally. Honestly the prep is the most important and also most tedious and boring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts