XCR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked the RobArms website again today..... nothing posted on the 6.5 kits yet. Was surfing the Impact Guns website and found the Charles Daily Little Sharps on sale. Went to the Charles Daily site and read a couple articles too. I am hooked!!! I have to have one. Ammo is expensive but I reload so no problem. It will look nice nice sitting next to my 45-70 Sharps. 8) ;D :clap: :toast:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My order for the Little Sharps goes out this Friday, along with a Midway order for dies, brass, bullets, etc. I'll post my impressions and range report when I get it in hand. :ninja:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, you must be a gazillionaire, j/k those are nice rifles, do they really come w/ that scope and tang sight for that price? I am sure it is worth it. The .22 Hornet interests me a lot. I also like their lever action shotgun, I have the Norinco clone, a little rough but works well. It looks like you can buy directly from CD? http://charlesdaly.com/cowboylg.asp Oh I just re read their site, the scope is available separately from them, so maybe the tang sight is included. Congrats, have fun reloading and shooting that thing. I missed out on their mini mausers and superior .22 bolt actions, but have the CZ 527 in .22 Hornet and the Zastava .22lr pre CD and Remington Model 5

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am buying my Charles Daily Little Sharps from Impact Guns http://www.impactguns.com They have them on sale for $899.99 + $15.00 for shipping, saves me about $300.00!!!

I was just out in one of my greenfields, this afternoon, and scattered a heard of whitetails. ;D I was carrying my 6x45 AR-15, easy shot but the seasons not in yet. Come on little Sharps. More of a challenge with a single shot. :2cents:

I plan on taking it to Fort Rucker to use on Whitetail and/or Wild Pigs. 8)

You can get Starline Brass and all the goodies from Midway real reasonable. In the blackpowder days the 38-55 was used for rifle matches as well as deer and bear. It is used in the Coors Black powder matches and I marvel at some of the scores. :crossedfingers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice gun - reallly.
I want one! ;D I also look forward to your range report!
Oh yeah, there was a shortage of 38-55 brass for awhile, I was getting it here and there but it took awhile. Black Hills and Winchester were making the ammo only periodically/seasonally though it seems in steady supply now. I'd stock up on brass to be safe. The 38-55 is one accurate cartridge and fun to shoot!
I have a Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 I love that gun.
These are my first three shots from the Marlin fired standing at 50 yards - open sights using 255gr Winchester

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh that is a good deal. Nothing little about the .38(.375)-55 I had a friend that has a Winchester 94 Legacy in that caliber that was lucky enough to get a buffalo with it a few years back.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
44blues & 3006, Yeah I have been reading about the caliber and rifle whereever I can find info. I went with the Barnes 255 grain bullets. Midway should like my order, as it's about $165.00. I am probably going to use either H-335 or 4895 for my smokeless loads. I will also try pyrodex too.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. Order to Impact (rifle) and Midway (reloading goodies) went out yesterday. >:D :ninja: ;D 8)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I know.... that's how I got the "bug." Today I recieved ny reloading goodies from Midway. Going to the Birmingham Gun Show to get powder Saturday. Should have the rifle by Monday. Yipeee.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmm I think that's how I bought my XCR but from another rag of course ;). I have bought from Impact before they are good people. Congrats again.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
You've got good taste in guns, friend.

Always love the guns of the Victorian Era, especially the lever actions and single-shots. And thr price from Midway is much more reasonable than what's quoted on the website.

Be a great gun for hunting -- but I haven't hunted in years.

There's a handful of guys at my club that are into schuetzen and it's lots of fun just to go watch them when they're having a match.

good shooting!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to the Birmingham, Alabama, Gun Show today. Great gunshow BUT $$$$$$$ Absoletuly NO black powder. Bought some H-322 to load up some 38-55 255gr Barnes bullets. Gun is due in 21st Oct by Fed-Ex....... my BIRTHDAY!!!!! My backyard deer better hunker down ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up the rifle yesterday afternoon. What a little beauty! ;D The article about the peep hole being too damn small for tired eyes is right on. Took my can of drill bits and shorted through them til I found one to match my Pedersoli 45-70 Sharps. Ten minutes later my Little Sharps is shootable. I have loaded both H-322 Smokeless and Pyrodex Select RS loads with the Barnes 255 grain jacketed bullet. Should have a chance to shoot it tomorrow, hopefully with pictures. ::) Compared to my 12 pound Pedersoli the Little Sharps is light as hell. :tank;

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
O.K. shot the Little Sharps. One group was EXACTLY like 44blues group! I am happy. It was windy as hell, most shots were in a loose cluster about 2 to 3 inches to the right. The group I had 3 touching was a lull in the wind. The rear peep IS NOT windage adjustable. It is going to have to go! Think I will scope the little rifle. The smokeless rounds have a lot of athority. The black powder rounds are like shooting a squirrel rifle (36 caliber) with heavy loads. The black powder loads shot about 3 - 4 inches low. Rain and bad weather til Saturday or Sunday, so back to the loading bench.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats! glad you like it. I love the old stuff - a nice change from the EBR world. Tinkering with sights and ammo/load selection is half the fun. A nice old school repro scope would look kickass on one of those. Post up some photos when you get a chance.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
BTW: We need a picture.

tk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts