XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FN announced the SCAR 16S will go on sale on Dec 15th.

The price....

$2,696.56

Ouch! How is this gun $1000 better than the XCR again?

Once again Alex proves Americans do it better...except when it comes to elections

·
Registered
635 Posts
"ouch!" is right. For that kind of $$$ it better be a plasma or laser rifle.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Is there some sort of press release about this? I read somewhere else that they were releasing 100 units "before the end of the year", but no documentation...

2700 buck msrp? I really want one, but... that is approaching total insanity. $1000 less and I'd be strongly considering.

And if that is the msrp, the street price probably won't be anywhere close to that any time soon.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
They timed it right, from a business standpoint I mean. Folks will pay that amount and then some now. I'm not an alarmist or doomsdayer by any means but RA isn't the only company that's posted about increased volume in phone calls and orders lately. People's reactions are funny.

That being said it's supposed to be a fine rifle, but, not for me.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They timed it right, from a business standpoint I mean. Folks will pay that amount and then some now. I'm not an alarmist or doomsdayer by any means but RA isn't the only company that's posted about increased volume in phone calls and orders lately. People's reactions are funny.

The SCAR is in trouble

25% in defense cuts mean the SCAR is DOA with the military. FN is now saddled with massive R&D costs and a the possibility of the gun ban

Add it up and you got a beefy price tag. However, I also know FN will sell every single one they make

·
Registered
874 Posts
Are these rifles being produced in the US or in Belgium? If Belgium I will be purchasing one if in the US I won't have access to them thanks to the US state department. :mad:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
that's way too steep for me to have any serious interest.

if magpul is able to hold the 1500$ pricepoint they're still claiming the masada/acr, they will destroy the scar in sales.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I won't be able to get the masada/acr cause its made in the US and the state department won't allow it to be exported. So I will buy what I can even if it costs me 3k.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

The SCAR is in trouble

25% in defense cuts mean the SCAR is DOA with the military. FN is now saddled with massive R&D costs and a the possibility of the gun ban

Add it up and you got a beefy price tag. However, I also know FN will sell every single one they make

FNMI will push it hard for the new carbine trials. With it already in the supply system (hell, parts are listed in FEDLOG now) it has got quite an edge over anything else. The Masada/ACR is it's only real competition as far as I know as other competitors haven't stepped forward with a publically released design. Budget cuts may canx the program like the combat service pistol but I think it'll wind up an "open-ended study" unless one of the services speaks up with an SOR to spec the standards.

But, we're still in agreement, they'll sell out before they even hit the stores. Probably already have. This was a limited run IIRC? They could easily crank out a metric buttload more as the tooling is in place now. As for R&D, the Budgets & Accounting offices probably show some hefty checks written from Treasury Dept coffers too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
SCAR has charging handle on wrong side. You have to release your Strong hand grip to cycle the action. XCR has a important advantage there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You all were told six months ago this thing was going to be expensive. But, noooooooo, it can't be more than $1500. That's insane! Yeah it is. Actually, I'm surprised it's not closer to $3k than it is.

FN will sell them all and then some.

Is it worth it? Functionally, probably not. But it'll be the FAMAS and SIG550/551 all over again. They'll sell for $2700 and within a year be worth--well, will sell--for twice that. And they'll continually appreciate. What's a FAMAS go for now? $8K? $10K? When I saw them at Knob after introduction they were $1500. AUGs were still used guns selling for $600 then.

All I know is I"m going to try and wrangle two of them. Have fun with one and retire on the other after 5 years! :eek:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
SCAR has charging handle on wrong side. You have to release your Strong hand grip to cycle the action. XCR has a important advantage there.
You can swap it over to either side. It reciprocates though, like an AK, never liked that but personally, but if the fine folks that accepted it don't mind, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have no plans to get one

I think they are one of the ugliest modern rifles I have ever seen not to mention that fact that I dont see where a reciprocating charge handle has a place on any modern weapons

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For Immediate Release:
October 31, 2009

Contacts:
Barbara Sadowy Bailey
703.288.1292, x106
[email protected]

David A. Golladay, Jr.
[email protected]

What’s New in 2009 from FNH USA?

McLean, Va. FNH USA has new products and many modifications to its line for 2009. Highlights include:

SCAR 16S and SCAR 17S As close to USSOCOM as you can get without enlisting.

Experience the civilian-legal semi-auto only version of the rifle chosen by U.S. Special Operations Command as its first new rifle since the early 1960’s. The SCAR 16S is chambered in 5.56X45mm NATO (223 Rem.) while the SCAR 17S fires the 7.62X51mm NATO (308 Win.) cartridge. The innovative gas-operated, short stroke piston system reduces fouling for greater reliability. The side folding polymer stock is fully adjustable for comb height and length of pull and is colored authentic USSOCOM Flat Dark Earth. Both 10 and 30-round detachable box magazines(DBM) are available, and the ambidextrous operating controls instantly adapt the SCAR S-Series to any user.

Accessories available for the SCAR include vertical foregrips, rail protective covers, extra magazines, and a nylon tactical sling.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny, SCAR goes public and suddenly there are production ACR pics popping up.

Meh, pass. I'd rather get the SCAR, even if it is $1000 more.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
17S could be nice as the XCR-M may not make the Obama deadline.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
17S could be nice as the XCR-M may not make the Obama deadline.
Considering .308's tend to be even more expensive than 5.56 models the SCAR 17s might have an MSRP that will crack the $3k mark or be VERY close to that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts