XCR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Probably mainly for those who want an MP7 but can't afford it. I don't see the draw to this or the 5.7 or frankly 9mm subguns.... I just don't see the splits being that reduced over 5.56 with subpar ballistics.
Let me pick your brain on this then. You'd prefer an SBR/pistol in 5.56 than any 9mm/5.7/et al PCC? Even at shorter barrels, I think 5.56 has more muzzle energy than any of the subgun calibers, but aren't you concerned about the concussion of the blast or reduced accuracy?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are we mainly talking 9mm here? B/c 5.7 and 4.6 are both high velocity rounds....and I'm admittedly unfamiliar with them in terms of actually shooting either. I'd imagine that neither are particularly less concussive than 5.56....for that very reason.
That's right; I haven't seen muzzle velocity charts for 5.7 and 4.6 lately, but I recall now they were originally designed to allow rear-guard NATO troops to penetrate Soviet paratrooper armor. Whether they could actually do so is in doubt, if you can believe that the Soviets would have been able to armor their paratroopers with titanium plates:

I think I heard somewhere that 5.7 could penetrate Level IIIA at most, depending on the grain. Anyway, when I tried a friend's PS-90 a few times it seemed to sound a lot like a 9mm handgun or less (under earpro), my XCR with the default flash hider at the time was a lot brassier and seemed louder.

Since I tend to envision the most likely scenario of violent home invasion to be law enforcement kicking in the door (more so likely in the current political climate), I want a caliber that is likely to defeat everything but Level IV (obviously black tip would be nice....but not real easy to come by any more) or do major damage to hips/heads since that's where I'd be aiming.
Honestly, if the law was coming for any of us in force (unless we were already gone, had the entrances lined with defensive explosives, and/or had the gun-fu of John Wick), we'd end up like Breonna Taylor if we put up any armed resistance regardless of what we're packing. Maybe that's just me, but the fantasies that I harbor involve lots of women who are too beautiful to exist in this world and not meaningful last stands.

BTW, I'd recommend this:
They make a cheaper version that is actually stronger...$40.
That's really cool, I wonder where I can install that in my house without people tripping over it. I just hope it's not the law coming in with a breaching shotgun or a truck-mounted battering ram when I have it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts