XCR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for second rifle, and am considering a XCR-L Standard Exposed Gas Block in .223, 16" barrel, GB-2 gas block, Muzzle Brake 2, and M-Lock upper.

I bought a Norinco NHM90 in .223 when that slicker Arkansawyer decided to ban good things. After 20 years of being told that nuclear war was eminent (they didn't bother with duck and cover, they pointed at the military contractor across town and assured us we would be vaporized and hiding would be futile), and being assured that would be the last opportunity to have an AK, it seemed like a very good investment of a couple hundred dollars.
Always reliable. Impossible to find magazines. Always bent brass. Optics mounting challenge.

Now seems like a good time to have a spare rifle. (Maybe just to spite the new dictator. Maybe to have one remaining after he takes the first.) There aren't any more new Norincos to be had. And the used ones now sell on GunBroker for ten times what they cost new. (All of a sudden, I've been moved from the economy market to the luxury market.)
I've been looking for something like a updated AK. The gas tube sticking out of the back of an AR always seemed like a real packaging problem. The AR is now supposedly more reliable than it's Vietnam reputation, but all I hear is headspace and assembly adjustment issues, compared to the idiot proof nature of the AK.
MCX was on my list, but some reviews put it as nothing more than a tarted up AR. Sig dealers refuse to take orders, claim not to have received any firearms for almost a year, and want everyone to sign up to receive a email notice when they get stock, and fight to buy whatever they get for whatever price they decide to charge when that happens. Sig claims otherwise. Meanwhile, new MCXs keep showing up on GunBroker for double suggested retail. Having a dealer network might have been a selling point, if the dealer network were not worthless and probably dishonest.
Another option is a Galil Ace. Seems close to the NHM90 and fixes the magazine availability and optic mount issues. There is a dealer who claims to have stock. Down side: It has the same reputation for bending brass. Haven't resolved that on the first one. Not interested in buying another with the same problem.
SCAR, Deawoo, and the other updated designs similar to the XCR seem to be out of production.

Which brings me to the XCR. It always looked interesting, but seemed rare, expensive, and no ability to get parts locally. The crazy upside down world situation eliminated any advantage of buying anything else, and leaves the XCR as the best choice.
I thought I read that Robinson was back ordered for something like 8+ months. I read a post about someone receiving delivery recently, but they would not comment on how long they had to wait. Seems like it may be much less than what I thought.
I like the idea of being able to place an order online. I would expect this locks into a price.
Any idea on the wait time for an order?
And you order from Robinson, and they contact you for payment information when it is ready to ship? Is that correct?

I read a couple threads with comments form AK owners who seem to really like the XCR. It sounds like a person who like the AK will also like the XCR.

I'm not planning on caliber changes or any major overhauls, but I like the idea of a machine that can be serviced with hand tools. The AK seems to require a press and expert level rivet ability for any major surgery. I wouldn't mind having a spare barrel if needed, and the ability to install it myself.

Anyone approach buying an XCR from a similar background? Good experiences? Cautions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Being able to change calibers easily at a low cost is the biggest advantage with the XCR over anything. You can find anything that shoots 5.56 well but something that shoots 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would have to be more specialized guns. In my case, I mainly wanted to shoot 5.56 for practice and because it was so available. But for stopping power I wanted to have the option for the aforementioned calibers, so that's why I went XCR. I dodged the wait for the XCR and bought a gently used one, but it seems half a year is the current wait time for a new rifle. Of the $2K+ gucci rifles though, it's still very available and the price hasn't risen too much versus others in its price range.

If you want a high-quality 5.56 shooter and nothing else, the LMT MARS-L is also a nice choice. LMT is way the hell backed up, however, and you might never find one unless you are lucky.

The Sig MCX gets mentioned a lot as the mainstream competitor to the XCR, lol. It's the most available out there, but it won't be for long. I've heard Sig is just going to ship out a limited volume of them and focus on more profitable handguns this year. I've seen them sell for $2500-3000 on GunBroker, and my local dealer is selling his in .300 BLK for $2600. Thing is, it's only available in 5.56 and .300 BLK and the price is rising. It's also a glorified AR-18 without a unified upper receiver, and you said you didn't care for the AR platform.

If you prefer the AK platform that much (I say still give the AR-15 a chance) and want something affordable within a reasonable time frame, then get the XCR lightly used like I did. You need to break in a new rifle, and a used rifle will have that taken care of already. Look for XCRs with serial numbers of 10XXX+ range, they are the most up-to date and ready to go.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
I am in the market for second rifle, and am considering a XCR-L Standard Exposed Gas Block in .223, 16" barrel, GB-2 gas block, Muzzle Brake 2, and M-Lock upper.

I bought a Norinco NHM90 in .223 when that slicker Arkansawyer decided to ban good things. After 20 years of being told that nuclear war was eminent (they didn't bother with duck and cover, they pointed at the military contractor across town and assured us we would be vaporized and hiding would be futile), and being assured that would be the last opportunity to have an AK, it seemed like a very good investment of a couple hundred dollars.
Always reliable. Impossible to find magazines. Always bent brass. Optics mounting challenge.

Now seems like a good time to have a spare rifle. (Maybe just to spite the new dictator. Maybe to have one remaining after he takes the first.) There aren't any more new Norincos to be had. And the used ones now sell on GunBroker for ten times what they cost new. (All of a sudden, I've been moved from the economy market to the luxury market.)
I've been looking for something like a updated AK. The gas tube sticking out of the back of an AR always seemed like a real packaging problem. The AR is now supposedly more reliable than it's Vietnam reputation, but all I hear is headspace and assembly adjustment issues, compared to the idiot proof nature of the AK.
MCX was on my list, but some reviews put it as nothing more than a tarted up AR. Sig dealers refuse to take orders, claim not to have received any firearms for almost a year, and want everyone to sign up to receive a email notice when they get stock, and fight to buy whatever they get for whatever price they decide to charge when that happens. Sig claims otherwise. Meanwhile, new MCXs keep showing up on GunBroker for double suggested retail. Having a dealer network might have been a selling point, if the dealer network were not worthless and probably dishonest.
Another option is a Galil Ace. Seems close to the NHM90 and fixes the magazine availability and optic mount issues. There is a dealer who claims to have stock. Down side: It has the same reputation for bending brass. Haven't resolved that on the first one. Not interested in buying another with the same problem.
SCAR, Deawoo, and the other updated designs similar to the XCR seem to be out of production.

Which brings me to the XCR. It always looked interesting, but seemed rare, expensive, and no ability to get parts locally. The crazy upside down world situation eliminated any advantage of buying anything else, and leaves the XCR as the best choice.
I thought I read that Robinson was back ordered for something like 8+ months. I read a post about someone receiving delivery recently, but they would not comment on how long they had to wait. Seems like it may be much less than what I thought.
I like the idea of being able to place an order online. I would expect this locks into a price.
Any idea on the wait time for an order?
And you order from Robinson, and they contact you for payment information when it is ready to ship? Is that correct?

I read a couple threads with comments form AK owners who seem to really like the XCR. It sounds like a person who like the AK will also like the XCR.

I'm not planning on caliber changes or any major overhauls, but I like the idea of a machine that can be serviced with hand tools. The AK seems to require a press and expert level rivet ability for any major surgery. I wouldn't mind having a spare barrel if needed, and the ability to install it myself.

Anyone approach buying an XCR from a similar background? Good experiences? Cautions?
Similar background here (for some of your post anyway)....Have 10 XCRs (Ms and Ls)....so I'm a proponent. Just keep in mind the wait times can be substantial and it's a boutique gun. If you get one that runs 100%....they will eat anything and are decently accurate and very robust. They also weigh a half pound more than an AR, but are infinitely better built. Big AK fan here too...more so than AR.

Reactions: themousethatroared
1 - 3 of 3 Posts