XCR Forum banner

Which car would you recommend most?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and thinking about selling my car. My current ride is a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT with everything. Literally everything.

Here is what I am considering

2006 BMW 330XI
2007 BMW 335XI
2006/2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quatro
2006/2007 Infiniti G35

Anyone have an opinion. Dont mention Lexus, Merc, or Acura. Those cars leave me cold. AWD is a must due to evil UT weather.

G

·
i am continually impressed with the Jap cars, the quality, longevity and excellent service records, which the germans seem unable to replicate.

frankly the legacy GT is a friggin fast car with an excellent gearbox and engine, although the body style leaves a lot to be desired.

i do admit that the german styling is generally superior and they evoke some passion.

it basically boils down to whether you want some passion or some reliability more. tough call.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
As long as you are cool with understeer, Push, then the Audi.

·
Registered
275 Posts
335xi all the way if you like driving dynamics and power. BMW always builds their cars to handle well, and not push too much, even in the AWD versions. They give great feedback to the driver and are really fun to drive. The 3.5L twin turbo gives lots of power (with potential for much more) and great throttle response at the same time because of the use of two small high tech turbos.

I have driven and like A4's but they will understeer as Mickey points out. The power output isn't in the same league as the 335xi.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I say Audi as well, however can I add something else to atleast consider?

Check out the Hyundai Genesis. I know, I know Hyundai.... I went to the San Diego auto show when I was in town this year and I was BLOWN away by how nice it was. Its cheaper too....

I really liked the Audi's as well though. Now this is just sitting in them and fumbling around, I didn't get to drive any of them. I think it would be worth your trip to check one out though!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far BMW has the best overall ride quality

Infinti has better dynamics. In terms of AWD the infiniti is the better system because it is 100% RWD unless you need traction. BMW does a 40/60 split when roads are good

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why get rid of the Subie? I'd honestly mention the new 2008/2009 STi. If the hatch isn't to your liking then a 2006/2007 STi. The new 2009 WRX with 265hp is pretty nice but, not as good looking or handling as the STi.

I love my STi and even after looking at higher priced BMW's and Audi's, I think the STi is a LOT better deal.

I personally don't like Audi's and think their long term reliability is lacking.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't see much of a reason to switch, but of the choices I'd pick the 07 bmw.
My wife doesnt think I should switch either, and as of right now I am leaning toward the 335xi

I should have them all test driven tomorrow and post my detailed opinions. As of right now though, I am very impressed with BMW. The power, handling, ride quality and gadgets are all outstanding.

My LGT has plenty of power (0-60 5.7sec), but the ride quality isnt as good, no blue tooth and the quality of the materials isnt as anywhere near as nice as any of the brands I am looking at.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My wife doesnt think I should switch either, and as of right now I am leaning toward the 335xi

I should have them all test driven tomorrow and post my detailed opinions. As of right now though, I am very impressed with BMW. The power, handling, ride quality and gadgets are all outstanding.

My LGT has plenty of power (0-60 5.7sec), but the ride quality isnt as good, no blue tooth and the quality of the materials isnt as anywhere near as nice as any of the brands I am looking at.
I thought you were going to Provo for a M-96 tomorrow???? ::)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I loved my subie and would buy another one in a heatbeat. Of the ones you listed I would probably jump on an Audi. I seriously looked at getting them as i had the same AWD criteria at one point.

They are all nice cars but I would keep the subie and use the money for ammo and guns.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Alright VB this means your going to be out of the subie XCR club but the 335Xi is by far and away a superior car to the Audi. Power, and ride quality are better and they both have all wheel drive.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I owned a 2006 Jetta GLI with the 2.0t and it is leaps and bounds better then the 1.8t but it is no where near the 335Xi regardless of the Audi or VW platform.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Get a diesel, you wont ever look back. If the zombies come you can even run it on used ATF fluid. Diesel is the way to go.

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
I'd take the BMWs over the Audi....but the Audi is really nice as well.

As for the Infinity.....eh, not so much. I have a Lexus IS 250 ('07). Beautiful car, but not up to my past Toyotas' quality. I rate Nissan/Infinity as lower reliability than the Toyota/Nissan products personally.

Kinda wish we'd gone 3 series BMW instead.

Good luck.
Sean

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's down to either a 2007 G35X or 2007 335xi.

BMW has the edge in refinement, quality of materials and ride quality. Just closing the doors alone lets you know it's nearly a 60k car(loaded with cool stuff). And the power is unmatched in its class. You have neck snapping torque at very low RPM's. I was wringing out the BMW a bit and even at 80mph the ride quality was outstanding

Infiniti has the edge in driving dynamics. The 100% rear bias AWD feels REALLY nice, and the car is way economical. Even new, with every gadget its like 42k-45k. Materials aren't as high quality as BMW, and ride quality is on the harsh side compared to the 335xi. Lots of power, but it cant be launched like the BMW because torque doesnt really kick in at low RPM. It's got that nothing nothing...WOOSH feeling.

To be continued. The wife and I discussed the financing so I am in good shape to get a new car for my b-day in June, and getting her an Xterra in November

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your not gonna stick with the Subie then I'd get the Beemer. I had a 350z and it was a horrible car, I know inifiniti is nissan's luxury line but, its still a Nissan.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts