XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 June 2008 Update on Progress.

Dear Customers:

I just want to let you all know how much your support means to us. We just want you to know that we've been doing lots of R&D on new accessories, products, and adding to our own manufacturing ability. Here's what's going on.

PDW XCR
We are making great progress in being able to offer a PDW (Personal Defense Weapon) version of the XCR. It would be able to have a very short barrel (10"), the upper receiver, gas tube, and operating rod would also be shorter. Assuming one has registered his lower as an SBR, one could add these parts to an existing XCR receiver. All other parts are the same.

Match Trigger
We have designed a "Match" two stage trigger which should have a 2-4 lbs. first stage and a slightly heavier second stage. It works differently than the current trigger system. Our goal has been to make the trigger very light yet completely safe. Prototype parts will be done in three weeks. If these parts test out as planned, we'll get them into production.

This took a lot longer than anticipated. We finally finished the design to perfection. We have a 3.5 lb pull. It's two-stage. We can make a one stage out of this mechanism. We and our beta testers like it a lot. We've ordered the parts from our vendors. We'll post when they are ready. They are drop in. No modification to the rifle is necessary.

Caliber Conversions/Barrels

The following calibers are complete and being fabricated right now. 5.56, 6.8, 6.5, and 7.62x39mm. The 5.56 and 6.8 are shipping. The 6.5 will ship withing the next 3 weeks. The 7.62x39mm are being fabricated right now and should ship in February. Hopefully, the release of the high capacity magazines will coincide with the release.

Getting good barrels in a reasonable time has been our biggest problem. We have just expanded our plant so that we can turn our own barrels next month. This will result in quicker turn around and allow us to offer just about any barrel length and contour you guys want. If you want a special twist, we can do that also, but expect to pay a little more.

The 7.62x39mm kits are finalized and will begin shipping June 19, 2008. We are supposed to be receiving the 30 round magazines any day now.

New Stock

Being very unimpressed with current buttstock offerings by ourselves and others, we are working on a new, innovative buttstock with lots of features. We will make it easier to sling it ambidextrously. It will be adjustable for length and will fold neatly against the side of the rifle. We are working to incorporate an adjustable cheek piece. Please email your comments to [email protected]. We are working on this right now and want to complete it as soon as possible.

We are almost finished with what we consider to be the perfect stock design for the perfect rifle. We still have a little ways to go but we're moving fast now that we've figured it out. The stock folds, collapses, and has the adjustable cheek piece. We may also make a fixed stock or entry level stock that does not fold or collapse. This stock would work in states where we cannot sell the folding or collapsible stocks.

Sights

We may also work on our own front and rear sights. Please convey your wishes. The idea is to have a front sight (adjustable for windage and elevation) which can be zeroed for each barrel. This way each barrel for each caliber can be zeroed. When it's taken off the rifle and put on again, it will remain zeroed. It would fold down against the top of the picatinny rail of the receiver. If you have any ideas or comments, we'd like to hear them.

This is the only area where we haven't spent any time yet.

We're also working on the .308

If there's something you want, please let us know. [email protected] I will personally read your messages.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Thanks for the update Alex, nice to know whats going on with future plans.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the info it makes it easy to start putting monies aside if ya know somethings in the works such as the pdw upper I promised the wife i wouldn't buy any more guns till next year , didn't say any thin about parts thou ;D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
That's all good news Alex, thanks for the update. I myself would like to be able to use a drop-in AR trigger pack. There are several already on the market that come to mind. Looking forward to the new stock, not that I don't like the old folder. Currently, it's a great pain-in-the-ass to install a sling. :thanks: :clap:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Looking forward to the stock and am interested in the trigger. I actually shoot the current trigger real well, but I've liked every upgrade so far.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Alex,

Thanks for the update. A little information goes a long way to help with future plans.

Any news on the XCR-M in .308?? How is that coming along?

Thanks again,

Roy

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
great news! I look forward to the updates.

a dovetailed fully adjustable front sight would be great, in that I wouldn't be required to get a new optic to swap with each conversion.

as far as the caliber conversions, after the 308 are there any plans for .22, pistol calibers, or 5.45x39?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Good to see the adjustable sight on the barrel. It will enhance the EXR reputation going forward.

Improved stock is also a nice idea as is the trigger. How come the switch from single stage to two stage? When I originally contacted you guys I was told the new lighter mach trigger would be single stage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am confused on the front sight.
Here is what I infered:
It is a folding front sight that attaches to the picatinny rail, not the barrel.
When barrels are switched you click X up/down and Y Left/right and your irons are now sighted in.

I would hate to pay ~$150 per barrel.

This design would cross over to the AR platforms.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PDW

Tests of the shorter gas system needed for the PDW went very well. We're going ahead to build some over the next few weeks.

7.62x39mm/Full-Auto

Even though we cannot sell many of you the 7.62x39mm in full-auto we still test everything in full-auto before we offer it in semi-auto. We just finished testing the 7.62x39mm in full-auto. The rifle is simply amazing. I shot it with a 16" barrel with NO muzzle brake or flash hider. The thing was extremely controllable. It was much more controllable than an AK-47 shooting the same ammo. We shot 500 rounds almost as fast as we could load.

Then we changed it to 5.56 and it was like shooting a water pistol. We've been making little refinements on the full-auto model over the past year to make sure it is the most smooth shooting full-auto available.

I'm very sure you guys are going to like the 7.62x39mm conversion. You can definitely tell you're shooting something different from 5.56 but it is very controllable and accurate.

We're waiting on a couple parts so we should be able to begin shipping next month. Hopefully, C-Products will finally have their magazine ready.

New Stock

This is our top R&D priority right now. We'll get several of you some pics or solid models to review shortly.

XCR-M .308

This is our top priority this year. We were going to jump it head of all the caliber conversion business. We didn't because we committed to our current XCR-L 5.56 customers to have the caliber conversions and some neat accessories for the XCR-L out before we got the XCR-M going.

Much of the R&D we've done on triggers, testing, etc. has been done so that we can get the XCR-M done more quickly and with less problems. Let's just say that if I were looking for a good .308 this year, I'd wait a little while for the XCR-M.

Sights

Our front Sights will go on the Gas Block NOT on the Rail. The sights will fold down on top of the rail so that the sight is supported and won't be damaged when not in use. You will not have to buy another barrel or gas block. The sights will be made to fit on the dovetail of your current gas block. The sights will be done in conjunction with the XCR-M .308.

Other Cals.

5.45x39mm is not too hard but does require a different extractor and bolt. It's not high on the radar right now. The .22 LR is but it will be later this year. I think the .308 is more important.

Sincerely,

Alex

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Wonderful news Alex!

Now please tell me that you'll have a -M prototype at SHOT for us to check out (in your room, I understand).

Or at least a stock prototype. I'll bring the tubular stock I reworked, since I never could convince the girlfriend to work up digital pics for you...... just isn't high on her priority list it would seem (even so, she's far more reliable than the ex-wife ever thought of being!).

I'm looking QUITE forward to the release of the 308, and asking some good questions at SHOT!

Last thing - will the front sights be available in different heights? The ones designed to be mounted on the rail of an AR are too high for my taste. Something lower would be most excellent.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's great news Alex. I can't wait for the XCR-M 308. The front sight does interest me. But I think I would prefer a fixed as opposed to a folding sight. How about preliminary drawings or pictures?

Keep up the great work. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think EVERYBODY is excited about an XCR in .308, I know I am. I would really like to see a .260 Rem. barrel for it. It would be able to utilize the same magazine too. ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thanks for the update...

I agree that having the sights be lower than AR sights would be good. AR sights are nice/workable, but I agree they are higher than ideal.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts