XCR Forum banner

Current Status RA and the XCR?

15K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  mjorin 
#1 ·
I used to own a fairly early XCR-L. It seemed at the time RA was going into the dirt, support was poor, one gal who worked hard had been terminated (or quit) a guy took over. I had cratered primer issues that was more or less resolved but never good.

I liked the gun, , I don't plan on getting another one, my shooting is now in the target shooting. but I would like as objective a view of how the company is doing, support wise , problem resolution .

At time Alex was jumping into new versions and not resolving pervious problems though generally when they worked they worked well.

The take was he should move into just design and let some good at it management wise run the company.

I still believe the XCR design is vastly better than the AR platform.

#2 ·
I haven't had any problems that they weren't able to solve quick-quick.
I'm happy with all of mine, although I'm admittedly happier with the -L than I am with the -M.

I'd still highly recommend the -L, and with a few caveats, the -M too.

#3 ·
I discovered the XCR-L in 2013, after all the Alex drama and extended teething issues of the company had been resolved or blown over. So I didn't have any bias one way or the other. I have nothing but good things to say about the rifle (once they provided factory upgraded trigger) and RA's customer service, with whom I've dealt half dozen times. Holly is top notch, IMO. I'd say I'm a low maintenance civilian shooter, but I take quality & design issues very seriously. (FWIW). The world needs to give the XCR/RA another look, because this platform is badass at a reasonable price.

#4 ·
Thank you. I got what was supposed to be an accurate AR, the XCR did better.

Moved onto large caliber target shooting so I sold the AR as well.

Still though the layout and ops of the XCR were by far the best (having shot an AK as well)

Did Alex move on or what happened politically?

#6 ·
I think the amount of options has become confusing. 3 gas block options, four rail length options, 2 bolt carrier group options.

I have heard fewer complaints about them not running straight out of the box.

I have heard good things about customer service lately.

The 3 gun versions with the extended rail (15" AR equivalent), low profile gas block, and factory muzzle brake look real nice. I wish I could post a pic for you. They are on the forum if you look hard enough.

#8 ·
Amen to that. I think it's demonstrably true that the xcr, more so than any other rifle of its order (scar, ACR, bren 805, mutant, etc.) is the smartest, best-looking, and most cost-effective balance between innovation and conventional AR modularity. In other words it's the perfect balance between a proprietary closed system and a democratic open system. IMO.

#9 ·
What was the resolution on the cratering firing pin? Mine worked fine for 1500 rounds then started piecing primers.

That seemed to be the low point of things. Reaming the firing pin hole out was a response that did not sit well. Mine went back and forth, CSA at the time tried, best it did was 60% less but no right an always slightly cratered.

Again curious , I would like to recommend it to others if fixed. I felt ergonomics were vastly superior to the AR ad that with the quick change barrel any military unit could (at camp) set their weapon up to suit a current situation or if fluid you could go with a mix.

#11 ·
Comparing my early xcr-l to new competition length rifle, you can tell how much better the new ones are. The new one is on par with a custom gun in my opinion. The older one was not as tightly fitted, especially between the frame and upper. My older one kind of craters the primers and the new one doesn't. I think the bolt on the new one is better because it is lightened and the op rod is a little lighter. This should add to a smoother and softer recoiling gun. Also when you run the charging handle, you can tell a definite smoothness when compared to the older one.

Overall, there is nothing wrong with my older gun. It runs with no problems. But if your going for a more refined and custom type rifle, the new ones are right up there.

#12 ·
Thank you all.

That is really good to hear. I actually shot some pretty darned good groups with mine, better than the AR that followed (I thought I could get a tack driver, it was not and decided bolts actions is where I belong not to mention mil surplus and more 30-06) (AR is gone now! real nice RRA but I hated the controls setup, the XCR beats hollow)

What amazed me taking the barrel off on an having it maintain the poi.

Maybe some day go with a 7.62 x9 to go with the AK that a friend gave m before he passed.

#17 ·
My Mini was originally a 6.8 pistol. Form 1 and away I went. Since the trigger guard is part of the receiver, that is where I had my engraving done.

#18 ·
Doing a bit of follow up check in.

I find myself missing the XCR-L, it certainly was vastly superior to the AR in ergonomic and it beat the AK all hollow as well.

It seems the M has gone to short stroke?

L in beta testing for short stroke?

#19 ·
M has been short stroke from the beginning. They recently started offering the Type 3(long stroke) so you could tuck the gas block.

The L has had short stroke for awhile now. I've personally got a 10.5 5.45 in the Type 2(short stroke). Can't remember when I got it but it's been a bit.

#26 ·
Type 1 will always be dear to my heart. It was too damn cool and easy to use. And it reminded me of the FAL. Type 3 seems pretty good too. Never been nuts about type 2.

Reactions: Sean K.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.