XCR Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Hmmm...didn't know they offered the L in short stroke. I wonder what the major impetus was for the change. I'd read/heard it was for a wider variety of underpowered ammo....but now I wonder if the less reciprocating mass might mean better accuracy as I got some pretty outstanding accuracy from my short stroke Type 2 M this weekend while actually sighting in with 147 grain mil-surp German Berdan primed stuff....like 3 shot groups all through the same ragged hole with a Norden Performance 1-6X24 at 101 yards.
Not sure how popular the short stroke is. I got mine in parts (block, tube, op rod) just to try. I found my example to be relatively under gassed compared to the type 1 and 3. Comparison was against all 3 gas system types on the same barrel. The RA sponsored shooters (the sisters, can't remember their names) have been using the type 2 in most of the pictures I've seen. The random you tube videos from Eastern Europe seem to show the type 2. Osage county has some listed on GunBroker with the type 2 pictured but some of their pictures/descriptions aren't matched properly and no one at Osage that I've talked with knows anything about the platform.

Did you try more than 3 round groups with your M? I've shot it several times with 2-3 on top of each other, only to have subsequent Rds open up the group considerably. On longer strings(8-10) I've seen it group really well (multiple rounds) in 2 different locations a couple inches apart, without moving POA. I've also had first round be significantly off zero, then the second is dead balls on. Most of that was with my original, non accurized, barrel.

My latest 16" M marked barrel is much better. It's just over 2 inches with 5rds XM80 at 100 with a 4x. I'm OK with that. I've been scared to try and wring it out with better ammo and more magnification.

Not sure how popular the short stroke is. I got mine in parts (block, tube, op rod) just to try. I found my example to be relatively under gassed compared to the type 1 and 3. Comparison was against all 3 gas system types on the same barrel. The RA sponsored shooters (the sisters, can't remember their names) have been using the type 2 in most of the pictures I've seen. The random you tube videos from Eastern Europe seem to show the type 2. Osage county has some listed on GunBroker with the type 2 pictured but some of their pictures/descriptions aren't matched properly and no one at Osage that I've talked with knows anything about the platform.

Did you try more than 3 round groups with your M? I've shot it several times with 2-3 on top of each other, only to have subsequent Rds open up the group considerably. On longer strings(8-10) I've seen it group really well (multiple rounds) in 2 different locations a couple inches apart, without moving POA. I've also had first round be significantly off zero, then the second is dead balls on. Most of that was with my original, non accurized, barrel.

My latest 16" M marked barrel is much better. It's just over 2 inches with 5rds XM80 at 100 with a 4x. I'm OK with that. I've been scared to try and wring it out with better ammo and more magnification.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the short stroke design compared to RA's long stroke....but after my experience this last weekend, I wondered if perhaps the design lent itself better to accuracy. May have just been a fluke too....I never shot more than 3 round groups as I was just trying to zero a scope. Mine is also non-accurized at this point...though I was going to send it in, but now I think I'll do more testing first.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the short stroke design compared to RA's long stroke....but after my experience this last weekend, I wondered if perhaps the design lent itself better to accuracy. May have just been a fluke too....I never shot more than 3 round groups as I was just trying to zero a scope. Mine is also non-accurized at this point...though I was going to send it in, but now I think I'll do more testing first.
I hope you've got a good one. My first outing with some Malay surplus was pretty good, then I ended up with my M Odyssey before I sent it back. I don't have the time/money to see if there's any appreciable accuracy difference on the L between the 2 and 3. My test was limited and I just wanted to see if there was a huge difference between them. I like the type 3 if given the choice. If RA runs another sale, I may give in and try a 20" 308 or creedmoor.

I hope you've got a good one. My first outing with some Malay surplus was pretty good, then I ended up with my M Odyssey before I sent it back. I don't have the time/money to see if there's any appreciable accuracy difference on the L between the 2 and 3. My test was limited and I just wanted to see if there was a huge difference between them. I like the type 3 if given the choice. If RA runs another sale, I may give in and try a 20" 308 or creedmoor.
IIRC, Bravo had a good one and his was an early example like mine. May have just gotten lucky...but won't really know until I shoot it more. I should probably borrow my buddy's sled to find out if the gun is squared away to remove me from the equation. So far, between 1, 2 and 3....I still like 1 best. The Type 3 doesn't seem to eject on the highest setting as far as my Type 1 did on the 9" bbl X39 mini upper I have. No failures so far, but it the ejection is definitely weaker and more erratic.

IIRC, Bravo had a good one and his was an early example like mine. May have just gotten lucky...but won't really know until I shoot it more. I should probably borrow my buddy's sled to find out if the gun is squared away to remove me from the equation. So far, between 1, 2 and 3....I still like 1 best. The Type 3 doesn't seem to eject on the highest setting as far as my Type 1 did on the 9" bbl X39 mini upper I have. No failures so far, but it the ejection is definitely weaker and more erratic.
Most of my praise for the type 3 relates to the more restrictive bottom end. The type 1 was always overgassed on the "S" setting with a can on. The type 3 usually gives me 2 usable settings and the "off". I've not looked at the high end of the dial. I'd still like to see a "suppressed" dial. I'd love to have another option or 2 to work with.

Type 1 will always be dear to my heart. It was too damn cool and easy to use. And it reminded me of the FAL. Type 3 seems pretty good too. Never been nuts about type 2.

Reactions: Sean K.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.