XCR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cutting Down 16" Bbl to 13.6"....Do I Need to Enlarge the Gas Port?

I didn't want to possibly delay my XCR from being built by ordering a custom length bbl....so I figured I'd just take it to my local 'smith and have him shorten it down and then permanently affix a Vortex FH (2.9" long overall).

From a rough guesstimate of how much of the Vortex will be threaded onto the bbl to make it 16" legal....I'm guessing the bbl will end up being 13.6-13.7" long overall before the FH is attached.

Do I need to have the gas port opened up in the bbl to allow the rifle to function properly or is cutting off roughly 2.5" not enough to be concerned with?

Sean

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Re: Cutting Down 16" Bbl to 13.6"....Do I Need to Enlarge the Gas Port?

My barrel is a little over 11" and needs the port opened up just a frogs hair. I would cut it down and shoot it. You will know pretty quickly if it needs to be opened. It really isn't a difficult process to do and you don't want to open it too much. Just shoot it and see, it will probably be just fine.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Aziator's right. If you need to drill it, unbolt the gas block, slide it forward and enlarge it. You may not be able to remove the gas block completely with the pinned FH but it should go forward enough to make any mods to the port.

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks guys!

'Appreciate the input. ;D

Sean

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

The port on the barrel does NOT need to change. You need to change the gas dial. Shoot it and let me know how it works. a 12" dial may do the trick.
Please don't change anything yourself... If you mess it up, I won't be able to replace it free of charge.

·
Registered
275 Posts

The port on the barrel does NOT need to change. You need to change the gas dial. Shoot it and let me know how it works. a 12" dial may do the trick.
Please don't change anything yourself... If you mess it up, I won't be able to replace it free of charge.
Terra - FYI...My 6.8 barrel on it's way back to you is cut down to 13.6" or so with a fixed PWS FSC30 compensator. Perhaps it just needs another dial to fix my cycling problems. I couldn't see any differences between the 6.8 dial and my 5.56 dial in terms of port size but I don't know exactly how to distinguish between the two.

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Terra,

Is there any chance you can just send a 12" dial with my rifle/spare bolt that's supposed to ship the first week in February? Order number is 6430.

Please let me know.

Sean

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

probably can do that. Remind me when it's closer to that time... else i might forget :eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts

Terra, How much do spare dials cost???

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

probably can do that. Remind me when it's closer to that time... else i might forget :eek:
Okay....will do.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

OK Terra, I cut my barrel down just before I left so all I had time to do was shoot it and see how it did. It would cycle hotter ammo on setting 4 but didn't really like my reloads that much. I had planned on opening up the gas hole just a tad when I get back. You are saying that I need to try a new dial first?

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

0000030403 said:
OK Terra, I cut my barrel down just before I left so all I had time to do was shoot it and see how it did. It would cycle hotter ammo on setting 4 but didn't really like my reloads that much. I had planned on opening up the gas hole just a tad when I get back. You are saying that I need to try a new dial first?
Ooops....double tap.
;)
Sean

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

0000030403 said:
That's what it sounds like to me.....

Sounds like the dial has a bigger opening for a 12" bbl vs. the 16" bbl....so theoretically, all you have to do is run the shorter bbl dial to get enough gas to cycle the weapon rather than redrilling the gas port. Pretty freakin' smart if that's the case.

Just guessing though...

Sean

·
Registered
704 Posts

I agree that having the port in the barrel big enough to accomodate varying lenghts is real smart. Change or mod a 5-6 dollar part versus a barrel is a great idea. Once a barrel port is too big there is no going back. Screw up a gas valve and move to the next port or pony up 6 bucks.

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Terra,
Turns out the specs listed on Smith Enterprise's website about their Vortex Flash Hider are incorrect. The overall length is only 2 5/16" so consequently, my bbl will only be shortened to approximately 14 3/8" before the Vortex is permanently affixed.

Does this mean I should just stick with the 16" bbl gas dial?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
704 Posts

Mine's 14.5 before the brake was attached and it functions fine with the standard valve with wolf (setting 2). I doubt the 1/8 inch will matter that much.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

My 6.8SPC functions just fine with an 11" barrel and the original gas dial.

·
Registered
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Cool. That's what I needed to know. Thanks guys.

So Terrra, can I get a confirmation that mine will come with the standard 16" gas dial?

Thanks,
Sean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts