XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CZ SP-01 >Shadow<?

I'm shopping handguns, and am taking a close look at the SP-01. While researching it, I came across a few articles about a "Shadow" variant, which allegedly had some modifications to the sights and the safety mechanism. I can find no reference to it on the cz-usa web site. Anyone here know anything about this gun? Is it still available? Is it polymer framed or steel framed? If I find one for sale, is it worth having over the standard SP-01? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Re: CZ SP-01 >Shadow<?

I found this on a CZ site from a google search...

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
The new generation of CZ 75 SP-01 pistol especially adapted according to suggestions as proposed by users from Law Enforcement, Military and Police communities worldwide, with an additional input from the Team CZ world premier shooters Angus Hobdell and Adam Tyc. The CZ 75 SP-01 SHADOW features no firing pin block, which consequently helps to slightly reduce trigger pull weight and improves trigger travel properties. Pistol frame which comes from a new mould incorporates alterations such as recess beneath the trigger guard and beavertail to enable a higher grip of this handgun. Slightly “weaker” recoil spring originating from standard production CZ 75/85 pistols facilitates loading and enhances the shooting comfort. Sights consisting of fiber optics front sight and tactical “Novak style” rear sight to promote much easier, faster and more accurate target acquisition. Round off edges of magazine well, substantially improve reloading. This new generation of CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow pistol is appropriate for service use, self-defense and sport alike

http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=3&idz=208&lang=en

I have a CZ40P which is basically the same thing as the SP06, and the bigger brother to the SP01... I love that gun. Its my favorite pistol, but its pretty good sized and I wouldn't consider it for carry. It feels nice in the hands and the weight is good. Very accurate. I can't speak for the SP01 but I love mine.

I ordered a CZ PO7 and I'm waiting on it as they are brand new.... maybe you could consider it? $480 for a brand new CZ pistol..... mmmmm :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The P07 looks nice, but one of the reasons I was intereseted in the SP-01 is because of its steel frame. As polymer handguns go, I kinda like the XD.

·
Registered
204 Posts

If you're considering a CZ look at Angus Hobdell's store http://czcustom.com/. You can get something from factory stock to full out race gun, and parts in between. I shoot with a few guys that have bought guns from Angus, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ok, I did some more research and I think I found my answer. The shadow is not advertised on cz-usa, but can be ordered at http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx for $800. It is legal for IPSC production division. It has an improved trigger mechanism which excludes the firing pin blocks, resulting in a slightly lighter pull and "improved trigger travel properties", and includes an overtravel adjustment. It has a fiber optic front sight and a "novak style" rear sight.

EDIT: comatzd: saw your post just after I composed the above. The customs available there are not as interesting to me as they are probably not legal for IPSC production division, which is what I'm most interested in.

·
Registered
204 Posts

If I was to pick a production gun, my first choice would be a CZ-75 something. I shoot with a former IPSC World Champion, he shot a CZ-75. I shot it for a stage and cut my time in half (I currently shoot a 92FS)!

·
Registered
114 Posts

Ok, I did some more research and I think I found my answer. The shadow is not advertised on cz-usa, but can be ordered at http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx for 0. It is legal for IPSC production division. It has an improved trigger mechanism which excludes the firing pin blocks, resulting in a slightly lighter pull and "improved trigger travel properties", and includes an overtravel adjustment. It has a fiber optic front sight and a "novak style" rear sight.

EDIT: comatzd: saw your post just after I composed the above. The customs available there are not as interesting to me as they are probably not legal for IPSC production division, which is what I'm most interested in.
I got a chance to shot one of these not long ago, I believe it was a shadow with further work done on it at the AZ czcustoms place. I am in the look for one as well. It is THE best 9mm and one of the best overall guns I have ever shot. It is heavy, but unless you are a very small person, it is not too heavy. This does make the recoil amazingly soft, first time I shot it, I thought there was a problem with the round, it felt no more recoil than a Mark III 22lr. And very acurate. I WILL have one of these before long.

·
Registered
332 Posts

I've noticed some models of the sp-01 have a manual safety instead of a decocker. Anyone know if this gun is intended to be carried "cocked and locked"?

·
Registered
449 Posts

The SP-01 is a DA/SA and with the manual safety can be carried

Round chambered, hammer manually dropped fully, safety not engaged, DA first shot
Round chambered, hammer manually dropped to half cock, safety not engaged, light DA first shot
Round chambered, hammer at full cock, safety engaged, light SA first shot

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The idea of manually decocking a pistol, without the aid of a decocker, makes me nervous. Even if I were pointing it in a safe direction, I would be intensely embarrassed if I fumbled the hammer and it went off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts