XCR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Since I did the review I've put around 3500 rounds through my x39 keymod with 6 ASC magazines and have not experienced another failure of the firearm. I'm entirely convinced the magazine release was caused by the D&H magazines. I'm going to give them a call this week and see if they have made any design changes, maybe I can get my mags exchanged if so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't wait for reliable consistant magazines to be available. I am beginning to think the straight part of the mag is the problem and this can't be changed with the straight magwell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice review thanks for the information.
I've got a 2nd gen xcr in 762x39 that I have had not much luck at all with ASC 30 round mags, although these now may be a couple years old.
I've had no issues with the 10 and 20 round ASC mags though, I'd love to find reliable magazines but am looking to swop to 556 until I can find such a thing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice review thanks for the information.
I've got a 2nd gen xcr in 762x39 that I have had not much luck at all with ASC 30 round mags, although these now may be a couple years old.
I've had no issues with the 10 and 20 round ASC mags though, I'd love to find reliable magazines but am looking to swop to 556 until I can find such a thing.
A few users found taking a dremel to a couple parts of the asc mags seemed to resolve some issues. Other than the initial failure of the mag release on my keymod-L, I think I've had one stoppage with the ASC mags in 4000 rounds. Really confident with this rifle sofar. Might look at the wear points on your mags, and check feed lips. Maybe make a thread in the problems forum to get some feedback from others?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't wait for reliable consistant magazines to be available. I am beginning to think the straight part of the mag is the problem and this can't be changed with the straight magwell.
Definitely the biggest design problem outside of structural considerations like feed lips and the like. Magazine manufacturers are patterning for the AR platform which has a taller magwell than the XCR, making a much longer straight portion. A XCR specific magazine could be developed with a shorter straight section which would hopefully alleviate the problems seen with ASC and D&H.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few users found taking a dremel to a couple parts of the asc mags seemed to resolve some issues. Other than the initial failure of the mag release on my keymod-L, I think I've had one stoppage with the ASC mags in 4000 rounds. Really confident with this rifle sofar. Might look at the wear points on your mags, and check feed lips. Maybe make a thread in the problems forum to get some feedback from others?
I also have a 2nd gen keymod 7.62x39 xcr and had my mag release fail on me after only shot4/5 first time using 30/5 ASC magazine.. had zero problems with there 10 round pistol mags... Sounds like I might have to do some dremel work on them to make them work without breaking the mag release?! Any links to this would be nice :)

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
Breaking the mag release? How so? Can you explain or post a pic?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wood Cosmetics Circuit component Auto part Fashion accessory

First time using the ASC 30/5 magazine and this happened... literally flew off the gun! Lost the spring and other parts.. First mag only got through 4/5 before it broke... I am now scared to use this magazine in fear this may happen again?! Ran 2500+ rounds through it with the 10 round ASC Mags with no problems..

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
View attachment 9456

First time using the ASC 30/5 magazine and this happened... literally flew off the gun! Lost the spring and other parts.. First mag only got through 4/5 before it broke... I am now scared to use this magazine in fear this may happen again?! Ran 2500+ rounds through it with the 10 round ASC Mags with no problems..
Someone was saying the bbl extension in the XCR is lower than in the AR and they thought it might be contributing to the problem (at least what I read after seeing your comment). Sounds plausible. If that's the case, I wouldn't use those mags until I modded them to fit....and I'd be real careful during the test fittings to see what needs to get cut. I'd slowly seat the mag and find out if it's hitting anything before the mag release locks it in. If it is....that's where I'd start. If it locks in, then start looking for obvious places it's hitting and go from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
View attachment 9456

Thats the exact same failure I had when I reviewed the D&H mags. I noticed a rub point on the top front of the magazine where it was rubbing on the barrel extension. I think that caused sideways force on the mag release. Needless to say my D&H mags are collecting dust..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had this exact same failure the first time I tried the D&H magazines. I made it through 1 1/2 magazines before the failure. I'm leaning towards completely scrapping the D&H mags.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Ordered 5 of the D&H mags But none of them will feed right, I have 15 ASC Mags after the mod to the mag they all work perfect, was hoping to find a fix for the D&H mag

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
Hmmm....the HMG Sturmgewehr 30 round x39 mags are supposedly in stock. Pricey at $30 each. Wonder if they actually work?

Sent an email to them asking if they are actually finally available.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had forgotten about HMGs STG, if they ever get it off the ground I would buy one, hopefully it's actually underway, 5 years later.. anyone heard anything about these lately?

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
I had forgotten about HMGs STG, if they ever get it off the ground I would buy one, hopefully it's actually underway, 5 years later.. anyone heard anything about these lately?
Just what I said above. No word back on email. May need to call.

Reactions: Flskunkape

·
Registered
140 Posts
I Ordered 5 of the D&H mags But none of them will feed right, I have 15 ASC Mags after the mod to the mag they all work perfect, was hoping to find a fix for the D&H mag
Will the D&H magazines not work in your XCR nor an AR15 or will they not work in your XCR but they will work in an AR15?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not had a bit of problems with my 7.62x39 D&H magazines through my AR15's and even my M16 on full auto (knock on wood), so that's why I ask the question. I'm curious if they run well in AR15's, but not in the XCR for some reason. My 7.62x39 XCR is still in ATF jail, so I've only had one opportunity to shoot it. Regardless of how well the D&H magazines work, my plan is pretty much to use the Unimags anyway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The xcr magwell is slightly wider iirc, so it could be a tolerance stacking thing. I do have one receiver where a couple 6.5g mags won't latch in empty, but they will in an AR

21 - 40 of 45 Posts