XCR Forum banner

Do you currently or have you ever used an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client? If not, would you consid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many people here have ever used IRC. It's basically like instant messenger but really old technology, still very popular among more experienced computer users.

I'm asking because I've thought about connecting the chat room that's on the main page of the forum to a real IRC server. This way people who would rather use an IRC client could do that. You would be able to chat via the web form as it is now or login via an IRC client. There are even a bunch of instant messenger clients that also support IRC (Pidgin, ICQ, etc).

·
Registered
874 Posts
I used to use ICQ all the time quit about in 2000-2001 for msn messenger.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Pidgin now. It supports every protocol in existence. It's got a strange name and logo, but whatever: http://www.pidgin.im/

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With IRC there is no user accounts or info. You make up a name for yourself every time you login. There are no passwords.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds alot better . how safe is your computer from hackers? the other i.m. providers are like a backdoor to your computer...

Can you give me an example?

The only safe computer from hackers is one physically disconnected from the internet.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Damned right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts