XCR Forum banner

Would you donate money (or other stuff) to help me continue to improve and grow the forum?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running this forum out of pocket for pretty much 8 months now. I think everyone can agree it's been run pretty well. There haven't been many (if any at all) outages and I think only a few spammers and I banned/removed their posts promptly.

I love my XCR rifle and will continue to offer the forum for free because I benefit from all the great knowledge you guys have dispensed here.

Having said this I would also love to add features, improve the layout and generally spend more time on the forum doing whatever admins are supposed to do :)

Here are some things I would like to do in the future:

- Significantly improve the layout, so that it's not using the generic layout that came with the forum software (you would still be able to change back to it in your preferences later on.)

- My hosting company does nightly backups of the data but they do not guarantee it in writing. I do backups occasionally but ideally it would be nice to do a backup every single night to my home computer and then burn it on DVD/CD or tape once a week. I think this is a must as the forum continues to grow and it becomes too valuable to have anything happen to it.

- Improve the chat on the main page. Make it more responsive (page doesn't have to reload to see new messages), allow it to hover so that you could have it open in a separate window (so you could chat while browsing threads), improve the history feature so that you could view the chatlogs by week or month for example, make it searchable. There are lots of things I can do to make it a more useful feature of this site.

- Move to a different hosting company with even faster connection and tons of hard drive space so that I could increase the file upload limits when posting messages. I could also look at adding personal galleries for every member where you can upload all of your photos. I believe ar15.com has something like this but it's detached from the main forum site. I would integrate it with the forum.

- Bridge the forum message to email discrepancy. Right now every time someone hits reply to a forum message notification they get in their email box it doesn't work (this is to preserve the privacy of peoples emails). Ideally you would be able to hit reply to a forum message notification in your email program and the reply would actually go back into the forum and be forwarded to the forum inbox of the person. If you didn't understand this part, don't worry :) It'll be a really nice fix because a bunch of people have had this problem already.

Whatever else you guys would want!

Members who donate would have some sort of icon or visual identifier in your posts showing that you are a donor to the site. To make you feel special of course! :D

Content wise there will probably not be anything special you can view as a donor unless there is demand for a donating members only section.

The purpose of this post is to gauge how much support there would be if I added this donation feature (and thus whether it would be worth it for me to spend time setting it up).

I may also look into a special category of donors for businesses and maybe there would be some advertising options, although I would shy away from doing a banner ad on every page. More likely it will be a tab at the top to a "Sponsors" page where your business would be listed.

I had planned on getting at least 500 members before making this post but several people have messaged me asking how they can help, so here it is.

Thanks to you all for making this forum a success!

:tiphat:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would be apt to give more in a one time than if I gave 5 per month..let me know what you decide, in the meantime here comes a frosty one for you.

G

·
There is a sad thing about forums. across the board, if they come down to having the users pay to play, they end up going under. IME as soon as the welfare of the forum moves from the owner to the user, they tend to falter. Gun owners and americans in general are a sorry bunch when it comes to giving. It's been bred out of us and doesnt happen much anymore. If I donated to every forum I was on I wouldn't have any money to spend on toys.

It wouldnt hurt to ask for donations, but requireing it is not recommended IMHO. :-\

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Well said, My wife would remove the computer if I had to pay a membership fee for every forum. Mandatory never seems to work out on the ones that I have seen it on.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no desire to make donations mandatory as they would no longer be donations but a subscription and this thread is about donations ;)

Aziator, I got your frostie, thanks! I'll make sure to pickup a beer in your name tomorrow.

By "one time donation" do you just mean making the monthly $5 donation as a yearly $60 donation? I think that would be fine.

A donation is a donation, I can't really complain if it's in monthly form or in yearly form ;-)

Only thing is that I would have to track it separately for the donors indicator on the profile but if several people do the yearly thing I would be willing to keep track of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know that I haven't been on this board very long (since yesterday) but donating to such a nice forum as this is certainly well worth it!

If you read Lex's initial post here he is certainly not going to a mandatory pay to play system. He is simply asking for those of us that appreciate the site to donate what and when we can.

The mandatory sites don't do well I agree, however those that have a strong membership with people willing (not required) to donate do flourish and grow. That is what I've seen with other (highly successful) forums of this nature.

I have already learned a tremendous amount of information on this site about my XCR that without this forum I might never have known. I am also highly impressed with the very active participation of the company that designed and builds it!

Websites such as these are very important feedback centers for companies such as Robinsons. It allows them to respond to market demand in a much faster way. This shortened response time allows them to bring their products, innovations, and services to us much faster than ever!

It is a win win situation for us that own the XCR.
This forum will certainly become a repository of valuable knowledge for this wonderful weapon we know as the XCR.

I will be more than happy to send a contribution to this website. Whether you decide to donate or not is your decision. Lex has graciously allowed us a place to gather in his home for free.

Myself, I will be more than happy to kick up a few bucks every once in awhile to help him out and to promote not only the growth of this forum, but also the bringing together of the firearms community in another fine quorum, and the continued promotion of this wonderful rifle, the XCR!

Thanks Lex!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I decided to try a FOSTER'S. For those wondering about this beer, I can with certainty say that it does taste like piss. :duh: Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Another forum I'm on takes yearly donations, and those who donate about 12$ a year get to use extra features of the software like the avatars, more PM space, etc.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Come up with a list of options and costs for each. Then let the members vote on what they want and ante up for it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just let us know Lex. I could swing a donation like once a year or something. As I am saving to make an XCR purchase in a month or so, I hope this forum will keep growing....lots of good info and people here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lex,

Just let us know when you get a P.O box set up. If you do paypal as well you will probably need to set it up as the Xtra Child Resource (XCR) or something as they are so frigging antigun it is enough to make one sick.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've often pondered how this site was funded, I didn't get the Utah/New England connection.
Thank you for your hard work Lex and thanks to Robinson for their
willing participation.
I like the site as is, since it is simple like me. I also understand
your wanting to make it better.

Just let us know where to send the check.

·
Registered
312 Posts
How do you do payment? CC, paypal, just slide an envelope with cash ;) ?

An avitar is good. The ability to post pix, say through photobucket etc is good (I'm not too internet savvy, I don't know if thats a proxy server or what) I just use it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I want my contributor status! ;D

Where do I send the money? A good idea also would be to write your screen name on the payment so that he knows who sent it.

Perhaps Lex has even a better idea as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts