XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not familiar with the gas block design, is there a sight that can be mounted to the gas block and then a very low rear sight be installed on the rail?

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a dovetail on the gasblock, but no compatible sights yet. Hopefully soon, IMO this would be a great accessory.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I believe Alex is working on a front sight that can be mounted to the block and zeroed.

Thus when you change barrels/calibers you don't have to re-zero.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks for the info. Is it because of the orientation of the reverse dovetail that it is not compatible w/ current mM4 designed sights?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Actually there is a sight. In fact the dove tail is an exact copy of the M14/M1A front sight dove tail. It should take an M14/M1A front sight.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Actually there is a sight. In fact the dove tail is an exact copy of the M14/M1A front sight dove tail. It should take an M14/M1A front sight.

Has anyone tried this? Pics?

Back when VB did the top ten ideas for the next gen XCR I suggested a gas block with a 1913 rail wich would be level with the top rail. It wouldn't have to be much bigger than the current gas block, maybe 3 rail sections with two slots. Just enough to put a seperate front BUIS on each barrel.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The M1A/M14 front sights won't work. The M14 dovetail is considerably smaller. I don't know that the Sig front sight device would work without some fitting. Those screws lock into a notch machined into the dovetail IIRC.

If someone has access to a milling machine and a MIG welder it should be workable. Machine the gas block flat. Machine a piece of rail stock to size. It'll be shallower than usual, the gas block is pretty high as is. Now the welding worries me a little in that there isn't much room for fudge factor; wreck the temper of the steel, deform the part, getting it lined up properly, cleaning it up so it doesn't look like butt when you're done, etc.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Gas block dovetail front sight

Just curious . . . does anyone know if RA (or any other company) yet makes a front sight to fit the XCR gas block dovetail?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks Carpenter -- if that was in a prior thread here, my google-fu wasn't strong enough to find it! I like the idea of a folding FS on the dovetail. Was this made by the same guy who was posting all the pics of the Honey Badger? (If so, I had the impression he was in the industry.)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yeah, I don't actually know a lot about him. If you go down to endless debate and whining.... he always posted there for some reason, anyways, there are a few threads he started.. A.P.W.R.... I started making a FS that wasn't folding, but never really finished it either..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The AK-style windage drum is a nice touch since you could leave the rear sight untouched and have the FS on each barrel zeroed.
Yeah , that was the idea... Ryan actually still has that one of mine, but I will pick the project back up, or make another eventually..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts