·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are interested!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yup and it's really bad. If you factor in our nominal national crime rates it should be obvious that gun bans do NOT deter crime, they actually promote it. Add in to that the UK policy on self defense and crimminals rights and basically you have to turn the other cheek. Not good.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I know that personally... If I were planning on stealing someone's TV or other valuables, I would be less likely to attempt it if the person sleeping in the house had a nice .45 by their bed.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
We had our guns confiscated, no compensation. Mind you if we used them in self defsnce we would have been prosecuted so doubly screwed.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The guys they were interviewing weren't saying anything about foxes.

They should move here. The US is the best and last chance in the world for this kind of freedom, and we need all the help we can get. As far as I know.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Precisely my point. The protest march was about a ban on chasing foxes. It had nothing to do with guns. The producers segued from the street demonstration against the ban on the uniquely British tradition of hunting terrorizing ;) foxes to interviewing people about a completely different subject: Gun laws. The way the video was done, it gives the impression that the march was in protest of anti-gun laws. Pretty clever.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Precisely my point. The protest march was about a ban on chasing foxes. It had nothing to do with guns. The producers segued from the street demonstration against the ban on the uniquely British tradition of hunting terrorizing foxes to interviewing people about a completely different subject: Gun laws. The way the video was done, it gives the impression that the march was in protest of anti-gun laws. Pretty clever.
It's clear both of you need to watch that video again.They were discussing the banning of fox hunting,all the signs people carried were referring to fox hunting.There was no attempt to say it wasn't.What the narrator did say is I quote" Where were these same voices 6 years ago when there was an outright ban on handguns".So what they were asking is why didn't the same people that protested in the video have a public outcry when pistols were banned.I don't see how if you were really watching it,could you honestly think the march was about gun control.
Just because you may not like fox hunting or the N.R.A does not mean they use Michael Moore deception to further their agenda.The overwhelming point that you are missing is that the same complacency that allows the banning of fox hunting is the same thing as the comlacency that allowed the loss of their firearms,and the same type that will have us go down the same road if we don't get off our collective asses.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The ban on fox hunting was the last straw. Basically people are fed up with having their personal activities banned jsut because the government doesn't like it. Most of the people marching don't actually Hunt foxes as it is an expensive sport.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Precisely my point. The protest march was about a ban on chasing foxes. It had nothing to do with guns. The producers segued from the street demonstration against the ban on the uniquely British tradition of hunting terrorizing foxes to interviewing people about a completely different subject: Gun laws. The way the video was done, it gives the impression that the march was in protest of anti-gun laws. Pretty clever.
It's clear both of you need to watch that video again.They were discussing the banning of fox hunting,all the signs people carried were referring to fox hunting.There was no attempt to say it wasn't.What the narrator did say is I quote" Where were these same voices 6 years ago when there was an outright ban on handguns".So what they were asking is why didn't the same people that protested in the video have a public outcry when pistols were banned.I don't see how if you were really watching it,could you honestly think the march was about gun control.
Just because you may not like fox hunting or the N.R.A does not mean they use Michael Moore deception to further their agenda.The overwhelming point that you are missing is that the same complacency that allows the banning of fox hunting is the same thing as the comlacency that allowed the loss of their firearms,and the same type that will have us go down the same road if we don't get off our collective asses.
This is how I interprated it.

I presume that hunting foxes requires the use of firearms, and they were showing the fox hunting march as an example that supports their overall thrust that some people are opposed to the ban (s). Same for the story about the guy sitting in prison.. etc.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
When I was stationed there I remember you could pay to go on a fox hunt, it was rather pricey but I also remember they never shot any either. I think it was just the "gentlemanly aristocratic" sport of it all. my buddy said once the dogs found them they rode the horses back to the stables and had tea. That was it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I presume that hunting foxes requires the use of firearms, and they were showing the fox hunting march as an example that supports their overall thrust that some people are opposed to the ban (s). Same for the story about the guy sitting in prison.. etc.
AFAIK, no guns are used in going after foxes. That's why I found it so interesting how the producers turned a protest against an activity that only involved riding horses into pro-gun propaganda.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When I was stationed there I remember you could pay to go on a fox hunt, it was rather pricey but I also remember they never shot any either. I think it was just the "gentlemanly aristocratic" sport of it all. my buddy said once the dogs found them they rode the horses back to the stables and had tea. That was it.
In this "gentlemanly aristocratic" sport ::) , what happens when the dogs find the fox?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The dogs rip it to pieces, assuming it doesn't die from cardiac arrest during the chase, which does sometimes happen. Then the new huntsmen are bloodied, by having some of the foxes blood smeared on their faces. Disgusting 'sport' of the aristocracy, not their most redeaming quality.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
MickeyC, yep, agreed. Used to shoot the varmints down on the farm when they'd get into the feed bins or the little critters would start turning up missing, but as for anything else, I can buy meat at the supermarket just fine. THe wildlife in the UK has been so decimated over the course of so many hundreds of years that I wouldn't be surprised if those places had to buy those animals to hunt them.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Actually the fox is not at risk form hunting, it's ruralization that is destroying it's habitat. A recent problem in the UK is overpopulation of deer. Sever gun restrictions has limited hunting and so the balance is screwed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The dogs rip it to pieces, assuming it doesn't die from cardiac arrest during the chase, which does sometimes happen. Then the new huntsmen are bloodied, by having some of the foxes blood smeared on their faces. Disgusting 'sport' of the aristocracy, not their most redeaming quality.
It's a sad commentary on humanity in general -- and Her Majesty's subjects in particular -- that there are people who think that such torturing of animals should be legal.

IMO, this is one personal activity that deservedly should be banned. If it were up to me, I'd go even further, and mandate that proponents of so-called fox hunting should themselves be chased by packs of vicious hounds. I'd wager that the people being chased would have a BIG change of opinion as to how sporting it is...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts