XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...longtime lurker but I received my XCR in 7.62x39 a week ago (thanks Terra and Allison for getting it sorted out!!) so I'm busting out with my first real XCR-related post. My EO 552 just arrived (I decided to put my old Reflex II on my son's .22). I've been running Troy BUIS on the rifle and and want to get the EO sight on now. I understand that mounting it directly to the top rail will have it exactly co-witness with the irons...I'm thinking I want a lower 3rd cowitness so I'll probably be getting a LaRue QD to raise it up a bit. My question is: Where on the top rail is the best place to put the 552? I understand there is a "personal choice" aspect to this but what is the standard practice here? I've got a PVS-14 on my distant wish list so that may be a factor.

thcboy

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Since it is an unlimited eye relief, parallax free sight you can mount it anywhere you want on the rail. It will operate properly regardless.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I know some guys are big about mounting it out as far as they can, something about keeping the field of view as open as possible close to the eyes. I would say you should just experiment with it and see what works best for you. I have mine mounted closer to the rear sight, that is what works for me.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey guys...longtime lurker but I received my XCR in 7.62x39 a week ago (thanks Terra and Allison for getting it sorted out!!) so I'm busting out with my first real XCR-related post. My EO 552 just arrived (I decided to put my old Reflex II on my son's .22). I've been running Troy BUIS on the rifle and and want to get the EO sight on now. I understand that mounting it directly to the top rail will have it exactly co-witness with the irons...I'm thinking I want a lower 3rd cowitness so I'll probably be getting a LaRue QD to raise it up a bit. My question is: Where on the top rail is the best place to put the 552? I understand there is a "personal choice" aspect to this but what is the standard practice here? I've got a PVS-14 on my distant wish list so that may be a factor.

thcboy

I have the GG&G quick detach on my EOTECH. The red circle sits right on top of my Troy BUIS's front sight. It stays there no matter where on the rail I put it. I put my EOTECH towards the rear to help balance my heavy barrel 6.8 rifle.
CMD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll probably just slide it up and back 'til I find what seems to work best for sight picture. One more related question. I had put MagPul ladder rail protectors on the top rail and now want to take 'em off to mount the eotech. How in the world do you get these things off once they are snapped into place? The XT covers pry off pretty easy but the ladder covers are really tough to get off. I don't want to pry them off with anything metal as that would scrape up the rails...which is why the protectors were put on there in the first place! I may try to pry a corner off with something plastic but any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
They pull off pretty easily for me?

I guess if they are on there tight for some reason, the best way to get them off is same as the best way to get them on: Try to get one corner started, and then push/pull from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they sure seem to sit down low in the rail cut outs...can't seem to get anything under to pry a corner up. I'll figure something out...just wanted to check to see if anyone had a no-brainer way to do it...Like I said, the XT covers were no problem to install/deinstall but the ladders are proving a bit tougher for me.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I believe you are supposed to set the horizonal "ladder" rungs on top of the rail pieces, rather than between them for maximum protection. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts