XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the range today doing mostly reload drills. The Eotech 512 was my optic of choice for this session. I tried using aimpoint on my XCR, but the Eotech reticle is just so much better IMHO. I think I will be trading out all my Aimpoints for Eotechs with the exception of the Comp-M4s on my middy AR15.

Anyway, about an hour into it when I was offered a chance to use the 553.A65-TAN. And I cant lie, I thought it was awesome. The lower 1/3 cowitness improved FOV dramatically and the sight picture was especially un-cluttered by my BUIS; cheek weld remained intact and perfectly usuable.

Going back to my 512 model showed the benefits of the SOCOM model. I give it a solid recommendation, and feel it should should be everyone's first consideration if you have an interest in Eotech and like shooting with BUIS up.

For other people who have mated the XCR to the Eotech 553.A65, I'd like to know your impressions.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have been running the 553 since the day they were available. I haven't tried it on an AR but I like how low it sits on my XCr, more so that my Comp M2s that I have. I have an earlier copy, got it direct from L3 as part of a mil purchase. I can't think of anything that I don't like about it. I think the CR123 batteries last longer too, though I cant tell you how long as i change them regularly.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have only brief experience with with eotechs and I like them just fine. I think the choice between aimpoint and eotech is mainly personal preference although many say ap's are more durable.

You mentioned fov being better w the eotech-you have your ap in the same arms mount as me, you should get a half spacer or full spacer to try exact or bottom 1/3 cowitness. Using irons was barely functional without any spacer on the mount...

i have this picture from those days to show how bad it was:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should get a half spacer or full spacer to try exact or bottom 1/3 cowitness. Using irons was barely functional without any spacer on the mount...
Way ahead of you. The aimpoint in a ARMS mount with no spacer was my experiment with getting optics closer to the bore, and not being concerned with correct co-witness, because BUIS would always be in the flip down state. Two proplems...I prefer Eotech and I like running BUIS up so the experiment was a failure.

When speaking about the improved FOV, I was actually using the Eotech 512 as a reference point, not Aimpoint in low ARMS mount.

ARMS with spacer pic taken over a year ago

Experiment

My fav best all around config

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
VB-

Posted about it somewhere else, can't remember which thread, but my FDE 553 arrived last week. Planning on hitting the range tomorrow to try it out as well as test a few mods to the rifle I've made.

Iinitial impression is that it is a great sight! Irons co-witness in the very bottom of the display as the literature says. NV settings work great with a PVS-14, no issues.

I'll try and get some pics out after the shoot.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VB-

Posted about it somewhere else, can't remember which thread, but my FDE 553 arrived last week. Planning on hitting the range tomorrow to try it out as well as test a few mods to the rifle I've made.

Iinitial impression is that it is a great sight! Irons co-witness in the very bottom of the display as the literature says. NV settings work great with a PVS-14, no issues.

I'll try and get some pics out after the shoot.
Nice. Post Pics when you can.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
VB-

Here's a couple pics of the 553 on my shooter. I put about 150rds through it this past weekend, mostly to check the work on the nord-lock washers and different barrel bolt. I put a rough 200yd zero on the EO Tech and blasted away. It was very close to zero from the start, maybe 6-7 clicks on each elevation and windage. This is my first real use of any model EO Tech having shot a buddy's a few times for plinking sakes, my experience is invested heavily in Aimpoint's M68 creations, M2 through M4 versions.

Very impressed with the optic. No issues. Even tested repeatability a few times by removing and remounting. The rifle still hit the 200yd plate without fail. Reticle is bright and easy to see. We can't shoot after hours there at that range, but I still have friends on post that might let me squeeze off a few at their range during darkness. I was tinkering with the PVS-14 and the NV settings are great, just like I said before. No worries. I shot to 300yds only and had to hold 12 o'clock to drop them in there, but hit every time I did my part. (I blame the trigger, uneven powder burn, the moon's pull on gravity and the chupacabra for those few missed shots... ;))

All in all, recommend it. The ARMS levers are nice. I haven't trusted them ever since we lost a Raptor off a 240 in Iraq somewheres, but they're slowly gaining some use for me again.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those pics are awesome. Great looking gun. I've got a vacation to pay for next month so I am putting toy buying on hold for a few weeks. 553 is on the list though.

I might even FDE my XCR at some point

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
FDE is the way to go. It's the new black you know! The only drawback, and you can see it in the second pic, the brass ejection will mar the finish. Myself, I like a firearm with dings and scratches and scuffs, it says I'm using it for its intended purpose. No safe queens here.

The 53 hood is anodized so it has a golden appearance to it like the ACOG's. I'm thinking of wrenching it off and moly/teflon'ing it to match a bit better and cut down on the shine.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FDE is the way to go. It's the new black you know! The only drawback, and you can see it in the second pic, the brass ejection will mar the finish. Myself, I like a firearm with dings and scratches and scuffs, it says I'm using it for its intended purpose. No safe queens here.

The 53 hood is anodized so it has a golden appearance to it like the ACOG's. I'm thinking of wrenching it off and moly/teflon'ing it to match a bit better and cut down on the shine.
You mind sharing more pics in the gallery. Most of the guests here go there to see the XCR.

And FDE looks best when it some some scratches and scars. Go beat that thing up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts