XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this sight? ???

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I have, and its a good optic. Keep in mind though that the XCR rail is .4" higher than the AR15 rail, and the 557 is elevated nearly .3", which would put the 557 .7" higher on the XCR than it would on the AR15. It would be very tough to maintain consistant cheek weld lock up while shooting with an optic that high

Standard height Eotech's (512/552 etc etc) put the reticle at the "correct" lower 1/3 position with a nice and tight cheek weld out the box. No extra mounts or risers needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I appreciate it, I was looking into it pretty much because the bullet compensator was on there and intrigued me. Thanks for the heads up

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I have, and its a good optic. Keep in mind though that the XCR rail is .4" higher than the AR15 rail, and the 557 is elevated nearly .3", which would put the 557 .7" higher on the XCR than it would on the AR15. It would be very tough to maintain consistant cheek weld lock up while shooting with an optic that high

Standard height Eotech's (512/552 etc etc) put the reticle at the "correct" lower 1/3 position with a nice and tight cheek weld out the box. No extra mounts or risers needed.
I don't have a 557, but if it was elevated in and of itself 0.3" on an XCR, wouldn't it be 0.3" higher on any rifle it was mounted on? It would still only be .4" higher on an XCR than an AR correct? Perhaps you meant since it is elevated higher than the other Eotech's (512 etc...) that it would be 0.7" higher than the 'normal' sight line on an AR (using a 512 or something)?

I do have a 552 ready to go on my XCR, if I ever see it; 2.5 months and counting. January 16th, fingers crossed!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have one of the 557's. Awesome sight - with a few caveats I wish I'd thought of before.

The bullet drop compensator sounds awesome, and it is, /IF/ you have magnification. Without magnification, you end up with a cluster of dots running down the middle of the circle reticle. You can't realisticly use the drop functionality without a 3x or 4x zoom.

The NV settings works great with my PVS-14's, but it's impossible to fight in that setup without just spraying everywhere. I'd insist that it's designed for a weapon mounted NV sight.

Unless you are fighting in the dark, and you are going to magnify - I would get the 516

·
Registered
3 Posts
My XCR has the VLTOR folding/collapsing stock and I have no problem getting a good cheek weld when looking through my 557. I have a skinny face.

My BUIS (the Midwest Industries ones that you can purchase through RA when you buy your XCR) can be clearly seen through the Eotech (although they are toward the botton of the window). This made initial setup a breeze.

I agree that without a magnifier the bullet drop dots will do you little good, but at some point I plan on getting a magnifier so they will be useful then.

I am very pleased with the 557 on my XCR.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I agree that without a magnifier the bullet drop dots will do you little good, but at some point I plan on getting a magnifier so they will be useful then.
Seems to be the normal comment I have read. Overall any Eotech is a great optic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, now to through a curve in the question. Is aimpoint worth getting over an EOTech? Looking at the m3 and possibly the m4

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You can find pros and cons for both optics all over the internet. I have both. I like both. I don't really find myself gravitating to one or the other much. I use the Eotech on my XCR and an Aimpoint on my AR.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i think the eotech seems to be "worth" the money more than the aimpoint.

The aimpoint is a little "boring", and just doesn't seem to give much bang for the buck.

Plus, when compared to a fakepoint, you really start to wonder where the other $350 went..other than to line their pockets :)

There is no fake eotech comparision at all...you know where the money went...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts