XCR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get an XCR in 6.5 in either 16 or 18.6 (most likely 16). I plan to shoot AA 120gr MPT's & BH 123gr OTM's primarily. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the EOTech 557 who can tell me if I can expect my primary bullet choices to print near the 400, 500, and 600 meter aiming dots on the sight. I plan to zero at 200m.
THX.
Mero

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the 557 but my buddy used one and thought it was way to cluttered for a non-magnified optic. You would probably have to compare the ballistic trajectory of 5.56 and 6.5 for th eloads you plan to shoot.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The Eotech is for 300 meters and LESS. Works best at 100 or less. ANY red dot is for close in work. If you plan on using your optics at 600 you better think VARIABLE optic. For the money you would have spent for the 557, you should be able to find something that fits your bill. Look under the optics posts to get an idea. :2cents: ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will use the sight primarily for 0-100 yds but occasionally out to 300-350 yds. I was thinking I might get a 3x or 4x magnifier later to improve my sight picture at 100+ yds and for use in conjunction with the 557 as the multiple dots will provide additional aiming points. Azi, I can see where it might be a little cluttered so I will think on it some more and keep the 552 in mind. Going to take a look around the rest of the optics section.
BTW I plan to use this rifle for home defense and in a camp carbine role and will likely take a carbine course with it in the future. Later I want to get a 20-24" 6.5 Upper for my BM Lower, scope it and hopefully drive tacks or at least large nails.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mero

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have the Eotech 553 and could consistantly hit steel out to 300 at my old range where they had steel. I could also hit the 400m target 80% of the time, depending on the winds. That was without any magnification. With the Larue Po Boy setup it makes those long shots that much easier. It doesn't look as cool as the eotech magnifier but it works just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts