XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i have not yet been able to get my XCR out and shoot because of a combination of work and uncooperative weather. I did however read the owners manual, disassemble the gun clean everything with clp, lube, and reassemble.

The break down was, of course, very easy and intuitive with one exception (possible 2 as i didn't feel it was necessary to remove the firing pin). The owners manual (page 21)says to "Remove the extractor by using a 5/64" flat nosed brass punch to force the extractor away from the center of the bolt while pushing in on the extractor detent. I don't have said punch but i do have a regular punch which i used to push in the extractor detent. I had no luck getting the extractor away from the bolt and i'm wondering 2 things: 1) do I even need to do this, and 2) what am i doing wrong, because the extractor wouldn't even budge

Anyway, thought i'd see if anyone else had had a problem with this and if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks

Rodney

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I use the carbon scraper in my Otis kit.

The idea is to push the extractor to the side enough to hook whatever utensil you've got over the lip of the bolt body itself.

Then "pry" the extractor off, making sure to keep pressure on the face of it so it slides in the tracks.

The extractor spring isn't a coil spring like people tend to think of it - more like a needle spring, but made out of a synthetic. By prying it off, you're compressing the needle spring so that the detent can ride under / out of the extractor itself.

Do I pull the extractor and clean under it? Yeah, I do. Do I do it every time? Hardly. As long as the extractor moves freely (not easily, but "doesn't bind") and is clean, then I'm happy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I found a tool that works great and got the extractor off, though i have to say it was still a bit difficult. I was being a bit timid because having never had it off i couldn't tell what i was working with. Now that I've seen it and have a workable tool, I think future removals will be less of a headache.

Thanks for the help Bravo and Terra!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, TEXAS ARE YOU HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM? I CAN POST PICS OF IF YOU ARE. JUST TO GET YOU STARTED, THERE IS A SMALL LIP UNDER THE EXTRACTOR AND THE DETENT IS HIDDEN UNDER THERE. IF YOU CAN GET SOMETHING SMALL ENOUGH (AND PREFERABLE FLAT BECAUSE THE DETENT IS CONICAL AND A SMALL CIRCULAR PUNCH MAY BE MORE LIKELY TO SLIP OFF), INTO THAT GROOVE, PUSH IN (PARALLEL TO THE BOLT AXIS) AND PRY UP (PERPENDICULAR TO THE BOLT AXIS), THE EXTRACTOR WILL POP OFF, THOUGH NOT EASILY.

And in answer to your question Terra, No, I don't suppose I'd want it to pop off easily, I think my problem was mainly not understanding how it was attached and being afraid i was going to mess up my bolt trying torque it off.

Edit: Wow, can't believe i spelled axis, access :duh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts