XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the desert today to get rid of some silver bear and experienced a massive FTF rate. It appears to be striking the primers very lightly. None are pierced. I had about 750 rounds through the gun previously with no FTF's at all.

What's different today?

1. Bill Springfield trigger job (3.5 lbs). That trigger feels so nice, I have a hard time believing this is the problem.

2. The weights in the gas piston came loose and are rattling. I posted about this previously and it seems this is not a real problem.

Silver Bear has been very good to me (gas setting 3) so I don't see this as the issue. I looked over the bolt and didn't see any damage, it looks fine. Had no FTE's or any other issue.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I believe Bill bends the hammer springs to get the trigger to feel lighter on the first stage.If you know which spring I mean take the hammer/spring out by pushing the pin it rides on out.Does the long "legs" of the spring look bent or are they straight.If they are bent,just gently bring them back out some.Russian ammo has notoriously hard primers and if you lighten the hammer spring it won't put them off.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
well, the thing is I have seen him put lighter springs in vs. bending the original spring. If he's got one of the lighter springs (has fewer coils than the original, noticeable), that would probably be the cause.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a new hammer spring. It's yellow, so it stood out. I removed it and it doesn't appear bent and it has 3 coils on each side. Would I need the original spring back in? Or should I just try bending the legs?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
That's a JP yellow spring,tried one in mine did the same thing,put the old one back and your good to go,although you might not be happy with the trigger afterward.There is a way to fix the heavy first stage with the "grip screw modification".Let me know and I'll find the link for it,that is depending on how much putting the old one back effects the feel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've had good luck with bending the legs 15 degrees on the factory spring. Reset stuck on occassion and some polishing took care of that. I have a reasonable weight trigger that works every time.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
the problem is there is much less tension in the lighter spring. The only way you're going to cure the problem is to install the original spring.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My Springfield job did not include a yellow spring of any sort, so I assume he probably bent the legs somewhat on mine. Mine is the 4.5lb job; maybe that makes a difference in how much bending/spring tension modification that has to be done. Fwiw, I have not had problems with the trigger job, even when shooting Silver Bear. If you have the orginal spring, you can probably reinstall that, and/or bend it to suit your needs...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bent the JP yellow spring's legs down about 20[sup]o[/sup] and it seems stiffer. I will try to go back out today and see what happens. I will bring some XM-193 with the silver bear. If that doesn't work, I'll ask for the original back from Bill.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I tried that on mine and it didn't work,but who knows you may have better luck.If you want to know how to do the grip screw mod.Let me know.It's really simple and no matter how heavy the spring you use,it won't effect how the trigger feels,because your taking the first stage almost completely out of the trigger pull.It works very well while allowing a heavy spring for reliable ignition,Personally I wouldn't trust that light spring if you ever have to use the rifle for anything serious,with the hard primer ammo.I know most people wouldn't use Silver Bear for self defense,but that is all some people can afford to stock up on in any serious quantity who don't reload yet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The lighter spring is a for sure issue, I have done some trigger mods and removing too much tension on that spring will give you FTF's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Terra's right. Without doubt, I need the old hammer spring back. It failed even with XM-193. I emailed Bill about it.

dont_tread_on_me, if you could point me in the right direction regarding the grip screw mod, I'd be most appreciative.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Or, you could just ask Bill for the Bravo Special.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of all worlds. It's not a benchrest trigger, but it's a GREAT trigger for keeping 100% combat reliability.

I've had two done that way - still need to send him two more :p

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, Terra's right. Without doubt, I need the old hammer spring back. It failed even with XM-193. I emailed Bill about it.

dont_tread_on_me, if you could point me in the right direction regarding the grip screw mod, I'd be most appreciative.
I have the directions for that mod, It was done by myself and Darren the old RA engineer.

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
Or, you could just ask Bill for the Bravo Special.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of all worlds. It's not a benchrest trigger, but it's a GREAT trigger for keeping 100% combat reliability.

I've had two done that way - still need to send him two more :p
What's the "Bravo Special"?

I was planning to have Mr. Springfield do a 4-4.5lb on my XCR that is supposed to ship from RA on Feb. 6th.....assuming there isn't some miracle where the new 2 stage triggers come with the rifle.

I'm assuming the yellow JP springs only come on the 3.5# trigger job by Bill, right? The 4-4.5# job uses the standard springs and shouldn't have problems with light primer strikes, correct?

TIA,
Sean

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The Bravo Special uses all the factory parts. No change in springs.

Take-up is reduced to essentially none, and no mods are done to the grip screw either.

Just modifying hammer / sear angles, and polishing. Light, crisp, and perfectly reliable.

Of course, there is a down-side for every up-side. The down-side is there is a good bit of overtravel. Elsewise it's what I'd consider the perfect carbine trigger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill put the old spring inside my Magpul grip. After putting it back on, the pull is slightly heavier but still a big improvement. I could live with it as is but the grip screw mod sounds like something I'd like to do.

Thanks, everyone!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts