XCR Forum banner

Failing to eject

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Thequickmick 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently bought a used Xcr in 223. I've been having problems getting to eject properly, the empty casing gets jammed in the ejection port every 5-6 rounds on all gas settings. From what I was told bolt was replaced with around 200 rounds on it now.
What I've done so far:
Clean chamer and barrel
Clean gas ports and gas tube
Shot on all gas settings
Tried different ammunition
Tried different mags

I'm wondering where to go from here. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
What's your SN range? Older models suffered from occasional tight chambers or wrong sizes on the gas block or barrel ports. There's a thread in the trouble shooting section with port sizes. Also, make sure the positions in your gas dial are not blocked....partially or completely. I'd suggest checking those first. Gauge pins or, in a pinch, machinist drill bits are a good way to determine port size. If those check out, you may need to buy a flex hone and hone the chamber to get it to run.

What kind of ammo are you using? Steel case will have more ejection issues than good quality brass ammo.

Is the gun wet or dry?....I'd personally recommending breaking the gun in (even though it's used) with it being fairly wet. No need to spend big $$$ on gun lube. Motor oil works fine....I like full synth myself.

Reactions: Merlin
#4 · (Edited)
Don't be afraid to get it wet....except inside the chamber itself obviously.....but the rails the bcg ride on and the carrier/bolt itself...dripping is fine. Once broken in, you likely won't need much lube at all. Why was the bolt replaced in the first place?

When you say cleaned the ports....did you actually put something (drill bit usually) down into the holes and make sure you scraped all the carbon build up out?

4900 series *could* be the run of tight chambers...but it's on the later end of that series that had problems. >5K seems to be the magic number.

How often are you getting failures to eject and are they getting stuck in the chamber at all or only in the port? Have you verified you have the correct 5.56 brass deflector? How's your buffer look (pics could be helpful). What about the spent cases? Any bulges in the primer/pocket area indicating higher pressures from a tight chamber (unlikely, but worth checking). How about extractor swipes on the case rims? Any odd wear pattern on the fixed ejector?

Have to tried the test where you take the upper off the lower, turn the upper upside down and try to pull out the pistol/bcg assembly by the recoil spring latch assembly? If it doesn't come out with very minimal resistance, you could have a piston foot that is welded on crooked causing drag in the overall system leading to extraction issues as well.

Something else to check at least.

At this point, if all ports are clear, buffer is in good shape, you pass the upper piston slide out test, and you have the correct case deflector, I'd guess you've got a tight chamber that will need a flexhone. 400 grit is what I'd recommend. The 800 is more for a polish.

HTH,
Sean

Reactions: Merlin
#8 ·
That amount of contact is normal sounding. Gas block dial can be fairly loose....but I have heard that the block to barrel interface can be loose enough to cause an issue. Make sure the set screw in the bottom of the block is tight.

Good sized dents are okay...(except for reloading obviously)....usually means the gun is ejecting with authority.

#10 ·
I may be fortunate but every issue I have had similar to yours was in fact a bad magazine. I own two XCR's and a bad 6.8 mag was the issue. A bad magazine also created similar problems in a Sig 551 which really pissed me off because they (mags) are quite expensive!

#12 ·
Good point....might try different mags, however....bad mags usually exhibit themselves though problems with feeding, not ejecting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.